Birthday Cake Recommendation

Hi there,
I am looking for any reviews of Ralph's for a birthday cake. It's for my son's second birthday and I don't really think I should need to spend big bucks for 20 toddlers! Has anyone used their bakery or have any other inexpensive ideas? By the way... I'm not baking! :)

We decided to get the cake at Costco and it was a huge hit! Not only did I have plenty (we're still eating it a week later!) but everyone complimented us on how cute and tasty it was. Thanks to all the moms for the insight!

I have never used Ralph's bakery. Keeping in mind with the costs of celebrations, we started using Von's bakery. I have never had a bad or distasteful episode with their cakes. I am a mother of two grown children with 4 grandchildren not to mention my husband who is the biggest child of them all! In fact, I will be making a cake-run today for my husband's birthday on the 12th. My instructions were to go big, fun with lots of toys on the cake:) Good Luck! T.

Ralphs has great ICE CREAM CAKE (Carvel). My girls don't eat cake, but will eat the ice cream cake. I've tried BR(31flavors) and like Ralphs' better. Give it a try.

Ralphs has fabulous cakes, and they are pretty inexpensive. Costco is another route you could look at but Ralphs has more design options and I think they taste better.

Personally, the Costco cakes are not good ...they are pure sugar...(not that cakes should not be). I live in Porter Ranch and my sister bought a cake at the bakery "MY BAKERY" in San Fernando and delicious. So many compliments she received and wanting to know where to buy it. Fresh strawberries and the frosting was the not so sweet one...buttercreme I think. You can also fill it with bananas or do half and half.

I think it is worth the drive. Or call them and ask them if they recommend any bakery on your side of town. Porto's is good also...I have never tried Ralphs.

We are in West Hills and I have purchased cakes from Ralph's for many years for my kids birthday parties. The bakery is always friendly and reliable and the cakes are fine for kids. We like the sweet butter cream frosting (hey - it's a birthday!) and we ask them to put mini-chocolate chips in the frosting between the layers of cake. Also, the chocolate cake is a little more moist than the vanilla. Good luck!

Ralph's cakes are ok, but have you tried Costco's cakes? They will decorate and write Happy Birthday and a name for free on a cake while you wait. These cakes always are eaten to the last piece. I recall the Ralph's cake's frostings as being sugary sweet, thus not too many people ate the cake. Costco's frosting is buttery and delicious. The carrot cake is especially moist and delectable. Have fun. I miss having parties as our children are grown and gone! I'm only 63 and still wishing I could be pregnant again and have my own babies over again. Enjoy!

Go with Vons! Anything from Ralph's bakery tastes cheap...like it came from a grocery store!

Ralphs bakery is very good. They can even do cupcakes to look like a large cake. I don't think a toddler will come up to you and say "eew, is that from Ralphs!?" Also, Costco has really good cakes too.

COSTCO! The best cake for the price and you can choose what kind of cake and filling you want. Or you can just run in and grab a cake they have pre-made. If you do not have a membership, you can get a day pass.

Ralphs makes great cakes--we are picking one up today for my middle son's 6th birthday! Costco is also good but their options for decorations are limited (not a concern for you now, but maybe for future birthdays when your son will want to pick). Also, we found out from the parents of a friend of our son's that you can get nut-free cakes from Ralphs, which is helpful if any of your guests have nut allergies. I don't know if this is possible at Costco.

I've had great luck with Ralph's. Chocolate cake, pudding in the middle and whipped cream frosting. Yum! One year I gave them a picture of my son and they put his image on the cake. Happy Birthday!!!

1 / 3