Birth Control While Also Taking Antibiotics!

hello moms, I have currently been taking an antibiotic called augmentin. And I also have been taking my normal birth control; Loestrin24fe. I was just writing to ask if they cancel each other out. My husband and I have a pretty healthy intimacy and didn't really think of the two taken together. I was just wanting to be on the safe side so that we don't have an unplanned pregnancy unless it has already happened. Any advice helps! Thanks!

I just wanted to thank all the moms for letting me know what they knew about birth control with antibiotics! I have checked with my doctor and found out the same thing everyone was already telling me! I just had a baby 5 months ago so hopefully not pregnant, but if I am it will be another blessing to our family! Thanks again!

I would talk to a doctor. I have known people to get pregnant by taking the two. However, I am not familiar with the BC you are taking...It has been a while for me.

I have been told by practitioners I trust to use back-up birth control while on antibiotics including augmentin. Better to be on the safe side and do it!

Yes you do need to use other protection when taking an antibiotic and the pill. You're doctor should have told you that. That's how my friend got pregnat at 17.

Hi G.,
If you're wanting to be safe, you'll need to use another form of barrier birth control (condom, diaphragm, etc.). You're correct, the antibiotics can interfere with the pill, making it less effective!!

Hope you feel better!

Hi G.,
Im am pretty sure they DO cancel each other out. Please be careful. Augmentin also causes urinary tract and or yeast infections too...I hate having to break the bad news to ya right before the Holiday. Just take all precautionary notions....Eat ALOT of Yogurt and Cranberry juice too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anytime you take antibiotics while on birth control, you need to use an alternate plan. The antibiotics will counteract your birth control. Condoms and spermacide are your best bet for now.

G.:
Taking an antibiotic with birth contron will weaken the birt control. The pharmacist should have told you about this and dtold you to use other methods of birth control. I'm not sure for how long, but you should call the pharmicist and check on it. I don't know if the birth control weakens or bothers the antibiotic in any way. That is another question to ask the pharmacist. Just call any pharmacy and ask, it does't have to be the one you had your rx filled at.

A.

Yes, they do. My pharmacy always puts a sticker on prescriptions that "May reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills." The insert that comes with your Loestrin should give you even more information.

Antibiotics can make BC pills ineffective. Use other protection!

my sweet little number 2 was a result of me on birth control and antibiotics.... needless to say you can get pregnant on them so if you dont want a wee one right now stop having sex... good luck!

YES, you CAN get pregnant!!! Your doc should have asked you if you were on birth control before giving you the prescrip. I am also on Augmentin and my doc asked. You DEFINITELY can get prego. I had two friends who did while on antibiotics! Use protection. :o)

1 / 3