Birth Control Pills - Does It Mess up Your Hormones?

My husband and I have recently talked about me going on birth control pills. I have never taken the pill in my life and I am not sure if I want to. I thought about it before not as a contraceptive but because my period was so heavy and long that I heard going on the pill will make my period lighter and shorter (I know the pill Seasonique allows you to have 4 periods only the entire year!) I am hesistant because I read that the pill messes up your hormones and it's bad for your body.

I also looked into the patch and it was so confusing about how it should be used that I am not interested at all.

We have an adorable 10 month old baby boy. We are still toying with the idea of having another baby but not sure yet. I also read that even the pill is not 100% effective in preventing pregnancies so I am at a loss as to what to do. I just feel like it's so much easier for my husband to use the condom since it doesn't require him putting anything into his body to mess up his hormones or anything like that. I think he feels like it's weird for husband and wife to use a condom and he also doesn't like the feel of it....but he also doesn't want me to take anything that would be bad for me either but he is on a mission to find another way other than him using a condom.....

Any advice from fellow mamas would be appreciated.

Thanks !

I like to thank all the ladies out there who have given me some very sound and good advice about birth control pills. I am so glad I haven't started using them yet. I know they work for some and don't work some but I am just very weary about putting something in my body that seems to go against what nature intended. I will try to talk to my husband about using other forms of contraceptives but I still wish he would be more willing to use the condom (he doesn't like the way it feels and he thinks it disrupts our intimate moment.) I have considered the pill to lighten and shorten my period but I am 36 and I've tolerated it for so long already so why not just continue to go with it. I don't have cramps or anything, just heavy periods the first 3 or 4 days and lasts for 8 days. So thanks again everyone and I will definitely do more research on this but my mind is pretty set on not using the pill.

Hi M.----Yes, anything that alters the body's normal cycles could be a problem. Some women have fewer side effects than others, but you are altering hormones by consuming birth control pills.

Birth control methods that don't require consuming anything would be the better option. Maybe not a more convenient option, but a healthier option. Those would be a diaphragm or condom.

I, too, would 'google' side-effects of birth control pills. There are substantial risks.

Good luck. D.

I thought using a condom was kind of wierd too...I told my husband it seemed like such a high school/college guy thing...but...after being on the pill...and the shot...for just a little while...and feeling so incredibly out of whack physically and emotionally....that's what we do. Good luck finding something that works for you guys!

I will say that personally, I know QUITE a few women who have problems with BCP's. At the very least they go through 2-3 kinds before they find one that works. That being said, I cannot take any. They make me have zero sex drive and just feel blah. I have tried numerous kinds. We have had to make use of condoms b/c my doc seems to think that anything with hormones is going to affect me negatively. Once we are positive we are done having children, he will get a vasectomy. If you want to try BCP's go ahead, but go into it with the mentality that if it doesn't work for you, you will find another way.

Good luck. D.

Please don't even THINK about Seasonique! The long-term effects (we're talking about health effects 20 years down the road here) have never been tested and won't be known for at least another generation. By then, it will be too late to undo the damage. Keep in mind that the monthly period is an evolutionary development that has been going on for millions of years...and then ask yourself whether tampering with and suppressing nature's biological rhythm for the sake of convenience can bring any good over the long term.

BCPs really can mess up your hormones...the "on schedule" periods women have while on them are completely artificial and not due to natural ovulation. Many young women go on the pill to relieve symptoms of endometriosis, fibroids, heavy bleeding, etc., but the underlying imbalance goes on unchecked while the pill "masks" the symptoms. Once a woman goes off the pill, surprise! The underlying imbalance is still there and needs to be treated with a natural form of medicine to get resolved permanently.

As a healthcare provider in a CAM field, I have seen this happen AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. It worries me, because there is also concern in our field about cancer risks with long-term use of BCPs. Suzanne Somers' recent books contain interviews with leading MDs who also weigh in on this issue.

In our contemporary world, we want everything for the sake of convenience. Diaphragms and condoms get passed by for this reason, yet they are much safer in the sense that they don't tamper with the endocrine system. (One of the moms mentioned a risk of urinary tract infections with diaphragms, but this affects only a small percentage of users.) I would suggest sticking with these options if at all possible. Some women find that incorporating them into foreplay is a good solution to the "convenience" issue. Good luck!

Ever heard of NFP? Natural family planning is a great way to go. Hormonal pills will mess you up, and for some people it takes a very long time to recover (others are fine after discontinuing). It doesn't prevent pregnancy, just reduces the lining in the uterus so the fertilized egg can't implant.
Something that many people don't think about is the possibility that it it possible to be allergic to your own hormones. If you have severe issues with your cycles (emotionally, physically) or with synthetic hormone (like the pill) or when pregnant, you might have an allergy. There are methods of controlling and/or eliminating the allergy so you can go on to live a normal life.
As others have mentioned, you could look into other nonhormonal methods of birth control such as the diaphram, the cervical cap, various spermicides, etc. And of course, as I mentioned, NFP. NFP involves getting to know your cycles and your body very well. You can learn about cervical changes: mucus is different at various points in your cycle, position, texture and openness vary at these points as well. You can go by your temperature (must be done before getting out of bed in th morning and if you're like me and drink a lot at night you should do this vaginally to prevent non-body fluctuations), which is called the BBT or BMT. There are applications for smart phones that incorporate all of the NFP methods and there are websites like fertilityfriend.com which provide tracking of your signs and symptoms for a small fee (I'm sure there are free ones too, you just have to look for them).

yep, they can mess them up. but the good news is alot of women after going off them for a couple months can get back to their old selves. i took them to regulate my eriod (i used to be a heavy bleeder as well) and they also made my cramps disappear... (which they used to be so bad i'd have to stay in the first day of my period).
I liked the Nuvaring. You put it inside you for 30-35 days, take it out, and if you want a period, you can wait 7 days for the next one, or put the new one in immediately. I did that to have like 5 periods a year. The patch is like that, except you have to change it every week and falls off easily. I used that when I was in the military (that's when I started taking b.c.).
Too bad nothing's 100%, right? It would be so nice not worry about it...maybe one day :)

Can BCP's and other forms of hormone regulators mess up your system? YES! Especially if you already have issues with hormone levels (I.e. heavy periods, thyroid issues, adrenal issues, "unexplained infertility", etc.) Those are all signs that something in your body is not balanced. I was told for years that my hormone levels were "normal", yet I had "unexplained infertility". I always felt run down and had heavy painful periods. So my doc at the time suggested I go on the pill to regulate everything and reduce my monthly bleeding and cramps. I tried Yasmin/Yaz. It did help reduce my bleeding and cramps. But it gave me all kinds of crazy side effects. It sent my thyroid and adrenals into overload. After 3 months of taking it, I could barely crawl out of bed. It basically gave me symptoms of severe depression and anxiety, yet I knew I wasn't depressed. I knew there was something chemically off and I needed to heal my body. It took about 2 years after I stopped taking it for my body to get back to normal using homeopathic remedies under a trained Naturopath. I call those 2 years the Dark Years of my life because the side effects were so bad.

So if I were you, I would google "Negative side effects of (name of BCP)" and see what comes up. I wish I would have done so before I started taking it. I found a site where over 300 women reported similar symptoms as mine while taking Yaz. I am sorry I do not remember the name of the site.

It's now been 4 years since I got off the pill. I have been battling keeping my thyroid and adrenal levels normal ever since. I am not saying for sure that being on the pill caused all of it, but it definitely was the tip of the iceberg that sent me over the top initially.

FYI: At the 2 year mark of getting off the pill and naturally healing my body, I got preggo with my daughter the good old fashioned way. She is our surprise bio baby (my oldest is adopted).

So do your research on this, and then go with what your gut instincts are telling you. For some, BCPs work great, for others like me they are a nightmare.

Also it isn't weird for a married couple to use condoms. We did for several years until I got my hysterectomy since I couldn't tolerate any of the hormone regulators and hubby didn't want to get a vasectomy.

M.,
You are wise to be concerned. Please research them carefully before you try them. If you are not in favor of abortions, then you definitely don't want them. One of the ways it works is to not allow the ferilized egg to implant in your uterus. I was shocked when I learned that. The newer low-dose pills are the worst for this. And, yes, they do mess up your body. Study it before you decide. Are you breastfeeding? Have you started your cycles back already? I couldn't get pregnant while nursing, but I know that this is not true for everyone (obviously). I also agree that it is weird to use a condom in a marriage. I hate them. We finally threw all BC out the window. It was the best thing we've ever done. I can't even describe what it did for our marriage. Sort of like describing what it feels like to have a baby: you just have to do it to understand. Oh, and in the 8 years since we haven't used any form of BC, we've only had 2 children. We'd love more, but there you go.

I used the patch and it totally messed with my hormones and my body. Because you go a whole week without anything, and then suddenly put a new patch on that puts a bunch of stuff in your body together, it would give me horrible headaches and make me throw up every single month. I would not be able to do anything that first day of the new patch every month. It was horrible. I also went up two whole bra sizes, from a B to a D (with no weight gain or anything), and went back down only one when I stopped the patch. Oh, and I only took it for 6 months.

The risk of blood clots, etc. also isn't good (I think this is a problem with all birth control like this). These things do have all kinds of side effects, although not everyone has the same issues.

I swear the pill messes me up and a few of my friens. Drs claim that they dont. The patch is even worse! Try acupuncture for heavy periods. And what abouta diaphragm?

1 / 3