Birth Control Insight?

My daughter is going to have my first grandbaby in a couple of weeks. She is looking into birth control for afterwards and is considering either Mirena or Paragard, she used pills before but had CRAZY mood swings! Has anyone used either of these methods? I'm looking for some pros/cons to each to help her decide. Thank you

Thanks for all the input! She hasn't made a definate decision yet but I have let her read all your responses.

I have a Paraguard now, and am going to switch to the Mirena. I have very heavy periods - still, after 3 years - and even spot mid month. I find my PMS is worse than it was before, and my (new) doctor believes that is the culprit. She says she has had very good luck and gets the opposite to what I see i.e. lighter periods and less PMS, with the Mirena.

I had great success w/the Mirena...no side affects, and I did have side affects w/the pill and most medications. Good luck!

I use paragaard because it has no hormones which is the most important factor for me.
Intercourse is uncomfortable with it, but I had the strings cut which helps.

Sorry, I didn't have time to read the other responses, so I apologize if I repeat! I don't know if your daughter plans to breastfeed, but if so, she might want to stay away from the hormone birth control altogether. They decrease milk production. My doctor put me on the mini-pill while I'm nursing and we'll switch to something different when I'm done nursing my daughter. Just thought I'd throw that in there so that you have that info too. That's pretty much all I know about birth control! Haha... Good luck. :)

If she has had a bad experience with hormones in the past then she should probably not use the Mirena. My experience with it was not a good one, even though two doctors reasured me that the hormones would only affect my uterus. Women with hormone issues should really try to find something else. I had the Paragard for about 2.5 years. Worked well as birth control, but I did have some residual pain during my periods. Honestly the only way to know for sure is for her to try it out and find what works best.

Hi, K..

I've tried both the Paraguard and the Mirena and currently use the Mirena.
I had the Paraguard in for one month and a VERY heavy period (It was NONstop and NO relief) and a wierd pinching on my side. (I'm not sure if they're related, but the pinching stopped once it was out.)Although I didn't give it much time, I just couldn't stand all the bleeding.

I really hated the Paraguard and was hesitant to try the Mirena, but I'm SO glad I did. I do NOT have the same issues with the hormones like I did on the pill (the pill made me feel CRAZY!). The Mirena was a great choice.
Also, the periods are light. I've only had the Mirena in for a few months. I had some light bleeding over a few weeks when it was first put in, but haven't had a period now for almost 2 months. I can't complain about that! :-)

I would highly recommend the Mirena over the Paraguard. Tell her good luck and congratulations to you both!
- A.

I had the Mirena for 14 months and hated every minute of it. Naturally I'd had 5 day long periods with little to no cramping, only the first day was heavy and the remaining 4 were rather light. With the Mirena I had horrible cramping off and on the entire month (rather than just menstrual time), and breakthrough bleeding that was very unpredictable. Not to mention that my husband complained about the strings. I went in several times begging my doctor to remove it and every time he refused telling me that I wasnt' giving my body a chance to adjust (he said that it takes up to a year or longer for ones body to adjust to the Mirena). So I was stuck. Following removal I had longer, heavier periods than I've ever had in my life, with debilitating cramping. Where I had no fertility problems before...it took us 6 months to conceive then lose a baby at 9 wks. I would recommend a non-hormonal birth control method. If she is planning to breastfeed then a non-hormonal method is the only method that will not affect or be secreted (even in small amounts) into her breastmilk. If she will not be breastfeeding my personal choice would be to learn her signs of fertility and track them, using a barrier method (cervical cap or condoms) during her fertile times. Look into "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler (www.tcoyf.com). TCOYF can be used if she is breastfeeding but becomes a bit unreliable especially for someone who is just beginning to learn their fertility signs.

I have used the Mirena for the last 6 years with great success. I love it as the hormone are local so I don't feel like I am introducing them into my whole system. I stopped getting my period each time I used it (I have had two pregnancies). I spotted for the first four months after having it inserted on my last pregnancy which was kind of a hassle, but then my period went away all together. I don't every have to think about it. My doctor told me that it's success rate is better than a tubal ligation if you can believe that. I highly recommend it for women who have given birth already. I hope that helps.

1 / 3