Birth at 36 Weeks

I am 36 weeks pregnant and I feel like I am close to the end.

The earliest I have ever given birth was 38.5 weeks.

I was wondering if any of you, or someone you know, has given birth at 36 weeks, and if so, was the baby healthy enough to go home with mom?

Okay, so I saw the OB today and he says that labor is still far off. I am very relieved! I probably have at least two weeks left to go:)

If you make it one more week, baby will be "full term". Every baby is different, but you have a good chance of little to no hospital stay for baby for every day you are closer to 37.

My middle child was born at 37 weeks 0 days. He had low blood sugar and jaundice and had to stay one extra day.

You may end up going a couple of weeks longer anyway. I started contracting at 32 weeks with my youngest. I was in the hospital a total of 6 times. I didn't think I'd make it past 35-36 weeks, but I didn't end up delivering him until 38 weeks. You never know.

In August I had my second son at 35 weeks and 6 days, a day earlier than his older brother. He was small -- 4 pounds 5 ounces -- but didn't need a NICU stay and was recently deemed "a little piggy" by his pediatrician. So he's just fine, as was his brother who was even smaller at 3 pounds 7 ounces and had to stay in the NICU. (I had preeclampsia both times.) But he's an incredibly active, adorable 2-year-old now.

My son was 35 weeks. He had to stay in until he reached 5 pounds, he started off at 3.3 lbs. They let him go at 4 lbs 13 oz right at 5 weeks.

He was a tiny thing.
He had lots of ear infections that first year.
I had to keep a round the clock schedule of feedings to keep his weight up for about 2 months.
He is now almost 6 feet tall and 180 pounds. Obviously, he did fine. :o)

I had my son at 37 weeks 0 days. From what my Midwife told me that day, boys lungs take longer to develop. We were very worried about him needing to be sent to the NICU, but he turned out to be a whopping 8lbs 4oz and perfectly healthy. He had no trouble eating, or breathing. His lungs were just fine. We were lucky.

My water broke and daughter was born at 36 weeks and I went home after 1 night since she was born at 8:30 PM. Besides having to go in for jaundice checks the first 10 days she ended up just fine. She is 14 years old, smart, healthy, funny and an all around great kid. PS: she was 5 lbs 14 oz and was in the 95% for height and weight after her first year.

My first son came at 37 weeks after being on total bedrest since 24 weeks. They had me on brethine (tributaline) and as soon as I stopped, I went into labor. The thing about this medicine is that it sometimes helps the baby get bigger, so he actually weighed 7 1/2 pounds. They had some trouble with his temperature, so I didn't see him for several hours after he was born, but his lungs were developed.

If I were you, I would get off your feet and lay on your left side. You REALLY need one more week for your baby's lungs. A smaller baby is not so hard, but a baby's lungs having trouble will keep him or her in the hospital. And if you have a boy, it's particularly important because little boys are at risk a little more than little girls (I don't know why girls are considered "hardier", but they are.)

Making it to 38 weeks would just be wonderful. Get off those feet and let everyone baby YOU!

Hi there and congrats on your soon-to-come bundle of joy! I'm sure you're excited, exhausted, anxious... I think a lot of factors come into play before anyone can adequately answer the question of health of a 36-weeker. Smooth pregnancy so far? Baby's weight/measurements adding up to this point? All of your levels in check? That being said, I'll give you my own testimony: my DD was born at 34 weeks, had severe growth restrictions (less than 3rd percentile), and had been given quite a grim prognosis for the duration of my pregnancy. Low amniotic fluid, possible oxygen restriction to the brain, high risk for stillbirth, etc. etc. etc. I stood strong and prayed over that baby every chance I got. She was born kicking and screaming via an emergency C-section, weighed only 2 lb, 11.6 oz, but needed hardly any interventions and no transfusions, though she did have to stay in the hospital for 4 weeks until she reached 4 pounds. She is now almost 9 months and doing wonderfully. So, without knowing any of your specifics, I'd venture to say that your baby will be fine, even if he/she does have to stay in the hospital for a bit. They are the most resilient little people and they were designed to fight! Best of luck to you and your little miracle!!

My friends daughter was 35 weeks and 4 days weighed 6.5 and was only in the hospital the 4 days my friend was during her c section. And now she's a happy heathy almost 6 year old. Good luck

My son was born at exactly 36 weeks, and he was perfectly healthy. He went home with me two days later, no problems at all. He was 6 lbs 1.9 oz.

My daughter was born only one week earlier than that though, at 35 weeks she was 5 lbs, 10 oz, and was in the NICU for two weeks. So.. it all depends on the circumstances.

Hopefully you'll get that extra week in, but don't worry too much if you don't. I'm 31 weeks with twins right now, and 36 weeks is my goal. I'll be thrilled if I make it that long. I'm starting to get that feeling like I'm close to the end already, too, and I really hope it's not true.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you, and of course - congratulations! :-)

1 / 3