Birds and Asthma

My daughter is really wanting a parakeet or pair of parakeets...she has been asking for quite some time. I have also been very interested in having some. That being said, I have heard that living with a bird can be very irritating to those with asthma and other lung problems. We have 3 people in the household with asthma and one with COPD. What has been your experiences with birds and asthma in the household?? I would just like your personal experiences! Thanks so much for your help!

hi A., how do you feel about dog!! i have 2 children with asthma. they had a chuwahs( taco bell dog ) their asthma have very good. their is myth that these dogs help control asthma. hope this helps

Have they been allergy tested? If anyone has a fowl or feather allergy, you need to steer clear for sure. Secondly, if you do get a bird, they are very dirty and you will have to clean the cage daily to keep mites and dirt from spreading through your home. Otherwise, you should be okay.

my son has asthma, mostly triggered from cats and dogs. we really wanted a famiy pet, so we chose a bird! we have a parrotlet. very cute. there is a store called "adventures in birds" and they know everything! it is on westview near antoine. cockatoos and cockateils are not good for allergies, because they tend to shed more bird dander (sorry, don't know the right word). anyway, my boy loves the bird, and no asthma!

I have had asthma since I was about 11. My family had a bird (cockatiel) all through my junior high and high school years, basically, and I never had a problem. Now my husband, daughter and I have a Quaker parrot. He also does not set off my allergies/asthma, as long as we keep the cage clean. Parakeets should be fine. You might want to consider a little bit bigger bird like a Quaker, cockatiel, parrotlet, or lovebird as they can be friendlier pets. However, those bigger birds also take more care (more play, etc) and some of them make more noise (although not necessarily the cockatiels). I would agree with one poster that the cockatoo probably is not a good idea because of allergens. Hope your daughter has fun with her bird(s)! They are wonderful animals!

I have a co-worker who has to Cockatiels that I care for whenever she goes out of town for more than a couple of days. I had asthma as a teen/twentysomething, but have no real problems with it now. My whole family has allergy problems though. We have never had a problem with the birds until their last stay.

It was in June and they were molting I think. We had feathers and this white dust stuff covering a 5 feet circumference around their cage. I typically sit close to where we keep their cage. I noticed this time that they really irritated my allergies. I had to clean/dust the area everyday to keep it at bay.

If you have friends that have birds, maybe they will let you borrow them for a few days and see how the people in your house react to them.

I am horribly allergic to cats. If I go in someone's house that has an indoor cat, I immediately start sneezing, itching, eyes swell up, water, wheezing, tightened air flow, etc. We visited my brother and his wife last Christmas for one night. They have 2 cats, they had cleaned their house top to bottom, but I still reacted to them. Thankfully, they keep the door on their guest bedroom closed and I found some relief there. When I went to bed I was wondering if I was going to have to go to a hotel, I was having such trouble breathing. I never told them how bad I felt, because I didn't want them to feel bad about it. However, I had a roommate once that had a cat and I seemed to get used to his dander. And, we made sure he never went in my room or sat in "my" chair.

I had my first astma attack at 3 months. I am now 26. My parents were told by doctors to get rid of all their pets which include dogs, cats and birds. My Parents thought about it but at the same time they didn't want me to be alienated from everything because they thought this will make me more sensitive to other things. Besides my whole family has always have pets so it meant I was not going to be able to visit. The point is I am still here and I have always enjoyed a variety of pets. At home my parents have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 5 cacattoos, a parrot and a turtle. I actually used to sleep with a chihuahua dog, since we were told they were good to have around when you suffer from allergies. I havent gotten an asthmaattack since the age of 8.

I hope you make a good decision, maybe I was just lucky to not get worst. I hope you don't think I am telling you to get the birds, I just wanted you to hear my story to help you make a decision.

It depends on if the people w/asthma and COPD are allergic to feathers. I am very allergic to feathers and cannot even sit on a couch that has a feather pillow on it w/out going to the hospital for a severe asthma attack. If there are no allergies to feathers, then enjoy your birds!

Hello All.. I am looking for answers as well. I recently moved to Florida and have had problems ever since. I gre up with cats and dogs and have owned 2 red bellied parrtos for 6 yrs. When I moved to Florida I suddenly became allergic to cat dogs and birds!!I have really bad asthma and I keep everything clean plus I use 2 HoneyWell Hepa filters. With no luck I am on medicine and clear lungs to keep my lungs healthy. I feel like I never get a break. Things will help me ofr a short time then the asthma returns. I am beside myself. I am suffering because I can not imagine giving my birds away, so anyone thinking to get birds if you have allergies beaware cause its not a fun way to live. Also. I had the skin test and I was not allergic to dust, mites,or mold.Does anyone know what would of caused my sudden change?

1 / 3