Biracial Hair Care

I am white, my husband is black, and our daughter has hair with tight curls. We had been keeping it cut, because my husband likes her to wash her hair every day, but that makes her look boyish so now we're letting it grow. It's tough to comb out, but I don't want to do corn rows. She's 6, and will wear headbands for a while but then take them off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks to everybody for answering my question about bi-racial hair care! I had several specific suggestions that I'll be following up on. Some of them were common sense (like "look for a little girl whose hair you like and ask her mother how she cares for it"), but it hadn't occurred to me!

What ever you do. DO NOT PUT A RELAXER in her hair. My daughter is biracial. The biggest mistake i ever did was put one in her hair.

Have you tried thinning it out. Pluse my Daughter uses a cream on her daughters hair which is the same way. Her Daughters are biracial & have the hair of the black race. When I was a beautician I never worked on hair except my granddaughters hair. First I would try thinning & perming. Not the perms with the curlers but you just put it on the hair & leave for a certain aount of time & wash out. If you need more I can call my Ganddaughter & have her send you an email of how she takes care of her hair.

D., Infusion 23 has a leavin condition that is great and won't hurt to just put in a spray bottle and add a little water this way u can message into the scalp so the she don't have all of the breakage and dry scalp also u can put her hair up in little pig tales all over cause little girls like that kinda stuff and u can french braid as well hope this helps CindyB

DO NOT WASH HER HAIR EVERY DAY! BIG MISTAKE, Your husband should know better. Her hair is prone to dryness due to natural scalp oil not being able to flow as easily around the bends and curves of her curls. You will need to buy a good brush, find a good leave-in moisturizer (meaning you don't rinse it out), and use a moisturing shampoo/conditioner that preferably has an oil like jojaba. If that's too hard to find, purchase the oil separately and add it to the shampoo, or just work a few drops into her hair after towel-drying. Coconut oil is a great softener and moisturizer for everyone. Blond people also tend to have dry hair, so you want to ask a blond girlfriend if she has any recommendations for you. Ask your curly-haired girlfriends for brush/comb, and conditioner recommendations. You may even want to consider products to reduce frizz. FIND A GOOD AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIRDRESSER that you can use for special occaisions and give you more personalized advice to care for your child's hair. Resist perming, aka "a relaxer" to chemically straighten hair until she is at least 10. I'm so glad that you asked for help because whenever I see a mixed race child (Black/White), I can always tell when the mother is white because the childs hair is unfortunately and usually unkempt. She's at a loss and clearly doesn't know what to do and no one will tell her. Look at black little girls' hair when you are out and about, and when you see a style you like ask the mother for advice.

In Amazon sisterhood,

I use to be a Cosmetologist and I have biracial nieces in my family and I strongly suggest., Start using leave-in conditioners and oil her scalp weekly after washing it. She doesn't need her hair shampooed daily, like you said she is part black right?

Weekly shampooing is good with daily spray leave in conditioner and oiling the scalp. Comb it immediately after shampooing with a wide tooth comb and do big braids or blow dry out with a moisturizer. Do not brush after brushing this will leave split ends. Always comb from bottom up to roots.

In the long run, I would advise you to start investing in a regular visit to the beauty shop for care maintenance and PLEASE OH PLEASE, don't let anyone talk you into RELAXING, PERMING her hair until after she is pass 10 years old. Her hair texture is still changing until pubity.

I hope this helps.
Mz. J

I also have a six year old daughter with curly biracial hair.
I wash her hair once a week and use a leave in conditioner.
Daily I use Johnson's no more tangles spray detangler and also Silken child silk moisturizing Creme(from sally's)
I brush with a bristle brush and then comb the curls with a wide comb!
I usually do pig-tails, or pony-tails to keep the hair from tangling and hold together with goody ouchless rubberbands and attached ribbons or bows.
Also the lotion smells really good!!

As for her hair, you can get some of the "no more tangles" and apply it to her hair each day. It is a hair lotion for kids that works very good. It will allow to to comb her and style it how you would like. There are other hair lotions that can be used in her hair and you will find it to be very helpful. Also there are leave-in conditioners that you can use for her hair. never let anyone perm her hair because that will damage it. I don't recommend no one using perms these days. Also be careful with some of the hair care products that you use in her hair. Keeping her hair healthy and managable is all you need to focus on right now.

Hi D.,
I am also married to a black man, and we have 3 daughters. I can tell you that it is not healthy for their hair to be washed every day. Try every 2 days. I use olive oil in my girls hair, and it works very well. Have you tried to put your daughters hair in platts? Or even twist?? Im not sure where you live but there is a good hair place to take your daughter, it is called Ebony Hair, it is located off of Veterians Memorial and Antoine, in the parking lot of Food Town. if you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me @ ____@____.com

1 / 3