Big Head

My baby is 5 1/2 months old. She has been tested and has been detemined to have a big head. She is hitting all her milestones. I am wondering if other moms have had kids who had big heads as babies and if they eventually 'grew' into them. Right now she is at the 95th percentile for head circumference and 50% for weight and height.

The doctor doesn't give me any specific comfort one way or the other about the future. It may be one of those things that mostly happens but maybe sometimes doesn't. I am just hoping for my little one's sake that she becomes more proportional with age.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It's good to hear your stories and know that she will likely grow into her head and perhaps be a smarty!

my friends daughter was the same way as a baby. She is five now and her head is still on the big side, but nothing you would probably notice. Kids don't usually grown into their heads until they are ten. don't worry about it.

My little girl now 2 has been in 75th percentile for head and 10th for weight since she was born. She is smart, happy, and healthy. The doctor does not have any concerns about it. Guess she just has a bigger brain!!!

I have twin nephews and one always had a much larger head than his twin but the doctors said it wasn't anything and not to worry about it. Big heads tended to run in the family so they were not concerned. He always hit his milestones, was very smart, etc. Fast forward till last year when he was 5 he started having vision problems and hearing problems so they took him to an ENT and made him get an MRI. They found excess fluid around his brain. He was born with hydrocephalus and no one ever caught it. He had to have an emergency surgery to put a shunt in his brain and have a tube run from his brain down into his stomach to drain off all the excess fluid. He is perfectally fine now and has no problems.

I am not saying this is what your child has. I would just at least get it checked out for peace of mind if nothing else.

My son has a big head too. He will be 2 next month but even some 2T-4T hats do not fit well on him. He has always been in the 90-95% for head circumference since he was born, same thing for height but his weight is on the lower side (so he is pretty much like a pin, I guess :-)
His doctor is not worried at all, he tells us he has "big brains" :-D

As long as she follows her own growth curve (more or less the same percentile as she grows), it is not a problem...

I found this information online:

Why Is Head Circumference Measured?

In babies, head circumference (the distance around the largest part of the head) can provide clues about brain development. If a baby's head is bigger or smaller than most other kids', or the head circumference stops increasing or increases quickly, it may indicate a problem.

For example, an unusually large head may be a sign of hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid inside the brain. A head that's smaller than average may be a sign that the brain is not developing properly or has stopped growing.

What's the Ideal Percentile for My Child?

There is no one ideal number. Healthy children come in all shapes and sizes, and a baby who is in the 5th percentile can be just as healthy as a baby who is in the 95th percentile. Ideally, each child will follow along the same growth pattern over time, growing in height and gaining weight at the same rate, with the height and weight in proportion to one another. This means that usually a child stays on a certain percentile line on the growth curve. So if our 4-year-old boy on the 10th percentile line has always been on that line, he is continuing to grow along his pattern, which is a good sign.

If you have any questions about your child's growth — or growth charts — talk with your doctor.

What does the doctor say about it?

Ella was 99th percentile for her head and 75th percentile for height and weight at 3 months, but at her 6 month checkup this is already starting to even out.

Both of my kids (daughter is 5 and son is 21 months) have always come in high on the head circumference measurement (typically 90-95%). My daughter is definitely growing into her head, so to speak. Our doctors never gave us any cause for concern so we never worried...I hope you don't either.

Sounds exactly like my son. Our doctor just always jokes that "he's got lots of brains!" I don't think it's anything to worry about - we don't! Actually, none of our family thinks that his head looks huge or disproportionate or anything. I'm sure he'll "grow into" it, and so will your daugher. Try not to worry about it. :o)

Totally do NOT worry about that. Both my kids had 95th percentile heads. I remember because we always used to joke about my husband's side of the family having big heads... or my side having big brains..
My two are now 6 & 8 had have perfectly normal heads. Remember, there is sometimes only centimeters separating "small" and "large" in those measurements - even in height. You may also have a child who is in a low percentile for weight, but only slightly different in size than a child who is high percentile for weight.
I'm sure your child is beautiful and perfectly fine.

My son had a head that was actually off the charts. Somehow it didn't seem too disproportional when he was a chubby baby, most of the time (there were a few months when it did). The worst thing was when we thought he had hydrocephalus and had to bring him in for testing. But it turned out he just naturally had a big head.

The only other time he looked disproportional was around first grade. We didn't really notice it then, but you can see it now in the photographs.

Now he's in seventh and he looks great. He's also doing extremely well in school -- maybe big heads are a sign of great intelligence!

1 / 3