Big Girl Bed - Imperial,MO

My daughter is 18 months old. I am wondering when we should convert her crib to a toddler bed? Are there signs I should look for? Should we wait until she's talking more?....I have no idea

OK, after the multitude of responses (thanks so much!) and much conflicting info...I have decided that we're gonna put it off for a while. She's doesn't communicate all that well and she's perfectly happy in her crib. I figure, "if it ain't broke-don't fix it" right? Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful info and when we do decide to make the transition, I'll be asking for ways to do it :o)

is her room free of danger? wall sockets covered, no cords in reach (electrical or window treatment)? can she get in and out of the bed without falling? does she wallow in her sleep? do you have a gate aross the door to keep her safely in her room if she gets up before you. If you can answer yes to all of these then you should try it. I would go for a toddler bed first.

I know it's exciting to think about a new bed, bedding, etc. but I've read and heard from other parents that it's best to wait until as close to 3 as possible before moving a child to a big girl bed. My daughter is 19 months old and I have no plans for moving her. If she ever starts to climb out (and many children never do), I'll just put a crib tent on. At 18 months or 2 years, they lack the impulse control to choose sleep over getting out and playing, so it really seems best to put off the move for as long as possible. And she'll have the rest of her life for a big bed!

With my daughter ( who is now 2 and a half ) we waited to convert her bed until she was talking clearly in small sentences and able to climb. We did it at the same time we began potty training as an extra " big girl " thing. Coinciding the two seemed to work out really well with Brenna. It's worth a try :)

My daughter will be 2 in May. I've barely considered converting her crib into a bed yet. I'm so affraid she'll fall out! I've heard that if your toddler start to try climbing out, that's when you should convert for safety reasons. My daughter is still satisfied in her crib. She even still has the bumper pad in there.
I know my mom converted my crib when I looked straight at her and said "No more cage!" Just a little humor for you.
I hope I helped in some way.

It sounds like you've gotten some good advice here. My best advice would be to leave her in the crib as long as you can, until she starts trying to climb out. My older daughter started to climb out of her crib when she was about 22-23 months old, so I had no choice but to move her to a toddler bed. The transition did not go well; she would get up in the night and come into our bed. I was so worried she would wander around or find her way out the front door while we were sleeping that I finally put up a baby gate in her doorway. I never tried the crib cover but I have heard they are great for keeping them in the crib longer.

My younger daughter is 19 months now and still in her crib, and I hope to keep her there as long as possible. Some babies are just born climbers (like mine!) and you just do what you can to keep them safe. :) Good luck with whatever you decide!

Wait until she can get out of the crib. I knew it was time with my youngest when I came in to find him stretched out along the crib rail, grinning at me! Both my boys had the convertible cribs, so that same day, I was reassembling the crib into the toddler bed. I made each of my boys special new pillowcases for a new big-boy pillow for their "new" beds.
I also have to keep a gate up, to keep the little one in. Otherwise, he's roaming the house at 2am, heh.
So, really, age doesn't matter. When they can climb out, tho, does, as they could fall and hurt themselves.

hi B.,
our little girls are very close in age...mine was born 6/29/05. however, she is still in a crib. we actually took her crib down and set up her toddler bed, but it was really hard to get her to sleep. does your daughter go to bed willingly, or is it still a battle? does she sleep through the night or does she still wake up? the reason i ask is because my daughter still cries a lot when she goes to bed and still occasionally wakes up in the night. so we ended up just having to set up the pack n' play next to he toddler bed, and she sleeps in that. we initially thought the toddler bed would be ok b/c she was trying to climb out of the crib, but we sort of jumped the gun. we are still getting the sleep routine down, but it has improved drastically. she now mostly sleeps through the night but cries when we put her down. anyway, our goal is to have her in the toddler bed by the time her brother/sister is born in july. i would say if bedtime is drama-free and she sleeps through the night, a toddler bed might be fun.

good luck!

We converted our daughter's bed to a toddler bed when she started climbing out of her crib so she wouldn't get hurt. I'd wait a little while yet till she's between 2 or 3 years old before converting her bed to a toddler bed.

WOW...congrats on the big girl bed...my son is 4mths old, and this time instead of paying 300.00 for a crib, we went to a thrift shop and found a beautiful, toddler wood sleigh bed, for like 25.00! and he sleeps in that (on his back) every night.We bought a crib mattress that fits the bed and it even has rails up on the sides, and it works perfectly!...so it's never too early, for a toddler bed, just make sure it has rails to keep her from rolling off the bed, and make sure the mattress fits the bed, you wouldn't even want the slightest crack on any side.

With my kids, we waited until they were old enough to understand the transition, then made a big deal out of it. We let them pick out the sheets & blankets, and built up the whole idea of moving to a "big kid" bed. I'm not sure 18 months is old enough to really understand, and you also need to ask yourself if she's old enough to stay out of things if she gets up in the middle of the night. One of the benefits of a crib is keeping the kids confined if they do wake up. Our kids were 2 1/2 and 3 when we moved them into big kid beds. My daughter was 3 when we put her in her toddler bed, and she did better at staying in bed than our son, who we put in a bed at 2 1/2. He was always up playing, getting into cereal, etc. One time he even got outside, but thank God we heard the door open. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

1 / 3