Big Girl Bed - Tampa,FL

My daughter just turned two in December. We are wondering when is a good time/age to move her into a big girl bed. I would love to hear ideas and experiences.

As soon as each of my 6 kids was able to climb out of the crib, I put the crib next to a single cot & told him/her that when he/she was ready, the Big Bed was waiting. The longest wait was 3 nights. No trauma resulted, since the child made the choice with no anxiety.
Patpanda

I have two girls (5 1/2 and 2 1/2) and we moved them to a toddler bed right at 2 1/2. Luckily, we have had a good experience with the both of them. We didn't do anything special as far as transitioning. We just took the crib down and set up the new bed, which was very exciting for them. They even stayed in it when it was naptime & bedtime.

I think all kids are different with this. Our son is 2 1/2 and he still sleeps in the crib. He has only climbed out once and has shown no interest in climbing since then and since he hasn't out grown ii, he is still there. My pediatrician said to keep him there until at least 2 but try to keep him there until 3. We will probably be transitioning him to a low profile twin bed in the next couple of month, but I'm in no hurry...because I know there will be that many more issues to deal with once he knows he can get out on his own.

When my first son was about two and a half I moved him to a "big bed", so I could have the crib for baby number two. He had no real problems, but often snuck out of bed and fell asleep on the couch while I watched tv or read a book. My husband was deployed at the time, and I was pregnant and tired, so I just let it slide. Now that my second son has turned two, we moved him to the "big bed" too. He was trying to climb out, so it seemed safer. But, it sure has been a hassle. He LOVES the freedom, but I am not as laid back as I was two years ago. I want him to actually stay in his bed and sleep. He has not had a real nap in three days, and has been up until at least 10pm for four nights in a row. Hopefully he will adjust soon, so I can get some sleep too! So, if you don't care about her staying in her bed, I am sure she will be fine in a big bed. Just take into account the fact that she may not actually stay there! Every child is different, but with my current emotions, I would recommend staying in a crib as long as possible!

We moved our daughter into a big girl bed when she was about 2 and 1/2 yrs. The reason that we had another on the way and needed the crib:) We got a bunk bed that can be used as 2 separate twin beds. We used the top one for now since it has rails and i put lots of pillows around so she wouldn't get hurt while sleeping (she rolls around alot). At first, my daughter would wake up in the middle of the night but now she has gotten used to sleeping in it. Good luck...
N.

I have 2 girls. We moved one out of the crib because we needed it for the baby. With both of them, I didn't make a big deal about it. Didn't show it to them weeks in advance, didn't ease them into it. Maybe I'm not the best mother, but I just basically moved them from crib to bed. No fuss. And they both sleep fine. They have not been traumatized. I think 2 is a good age since that's about when it worked for me. Probably you should do what you think your daughter can handle. If she needs more gentle coaxing to get used to things, then go with that. You are the best judge of what your angel can handle :)

I did it whem my daughter was 3, I think is a good age for them to sleep by them selves.

First and foremost, watch your daughter for signs that she is ready. Maybe try taking the side off her crib for a night or two to make sure she won't fall out (that is, if it isn't too high).

That's about the same age we let mine move up. The transition was easy for us. Take her with you to pick out a toddler bed, this will get her excited about having a big girl bed. The first night, we told her we had to put it together while she was sleeping, but that it would be ready in the morning. The anticipation sent her right to bed so she could wake up and find her new bed. She climbed up on it while it was still in the dining room.

We have a crib that has a swinging/locking door on the side and we left that open for her and let her pick which bed she wanted to sleep in for the first several nights. She picked her crib; then her bed and switched to her crib in the the night; then finally she spent a whole night in her bed. At that point, we were able to explain that her crib was going to be for her little brother now still two months away (well, he was supposed to be).

When little brother came only 4 1/2 weeks later, she was in her big girl bed and he had his crib. She has never even looked back.

We made a big deal about her big girl bed and she just came along for the ride. Now she picks between her toddler bed and a Tinkerbell sleeping bag with a tent. What fun that is!

Make it fun and the transition should go well.

My son is 3 and we had to take the rail off his crib at about 1 and 1/2. We bought his his big boy bed at two. It really is not that much different from his crib without the rail except it is bigger. We decided not to buy a toddler bed that we would have to replace when he was older and went straight to a twin size bed. We actually bought him a big bed with a slide and tent. I figured if you are gonna do it might as well go all out!! Anyway, we had no trouble with the transition. If she is still sleeping in a crib try it without the side rail for a while, that will give you an idea if she is ready.

Take Care

1 / 3