Best Wooden Toys and Playroom Furniture?

Hello,

I'm in search of a good quality wooden toys (for boy and girl, roughly toddler/ preschooler age), I live in CA but haven't really been able to find a decent selection online (I have one local store) so I would be interested in buying online. I see a lot of European toys (haba, brio, etc) but what exactly do you and your children like?
What are the wooden toys you have OR recomend? Have you found a place to order online?

Also, where have you purchased from furniture for your playroom/ playing area?

Looking forward to see what other have in toys for their kids :)

Thank you for all the responses! I am excited to see online stores that carry great wooden toys!

My daughter (2.5) also loves her Melissa and Doug wooden play food and puzzles. I thought I'd also mention that Amazon has a large selection of wooden toys - if you search "wooden toys" you'll get something like 15,000 results, but then on the sidebar you can narrow it down by age range, brand, department (educational, arts and crafts, puzzles, etc), and more.

Lakeshore learning for the furniture...http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|productSubCat~~p|...

They sell to day cares and schools, and also have some good basic manipulatives and other toys.

I also try to buy wooden toys because they are much more durable and I can hand them down to my nieces and nephews. I also love the look of wooden toys that gives them timeless vintage appeal.

I think that the best option is to buy online. I live in SF so there are quite a few stores such as http://www.thearktoys.com/.Also, Ikea has some really great wooden toys, but not sure if there is one near you.

Some of my daughter's faves are the wooden food from Melissa and Doug as well as their magnetic dress up dolls. There is also a wooden pull dog that she had since she was 9 months old and still loves to play with it, she is now 4.5 yrs! Sorry, couldn't find it online. Another favorite brand is Plan Toys http://www.thefind.com/family/info-plan-toys my daughter loves the drumset from them. Love that Plan toys are made from rubbertree wood, a renwable and fast growing tree, leftover from the rubber tree plantations formerly used for rubber/latex. They also have eco-friendly socially responsible manufacturing practices. There are more and more stores are carrying this brand these days.

Hope that is helpful!

Haba toys and oompa.com are great places to look.

I sell Discovery Toys and we have a few excellent wooden toys. You can view all of them at http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/karenchao Search for:
1. Build It (a great set of wooden blocks)

2. Playtown Restaurant / Playtown School / Playtown Pet Hospital - these are on sale through the month of July. Each one is like a small wooden house with a bunch of pieces surrounding the theme. They are great for pretend play, expanding language and creativity, and are fun for both boys and girls - only $22.50 each in July (regular price is $35 each, so it's a great savings)

3. Caterpillar Shape Sorter - fun wooden puzzle / block set for younger toddlers

4. Tree Puzzle - wooden puzzle / block set for older toddlers and preschoolers

All Discovery Toys are high quality and they come with a lifetime warranty! We have many other products on sale this month too and opportunities to get your toys free. Contact me for details or shop at http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/karenchao

Thank you!

Melissa & Doug and IKEA. Safe and well made. Good luck!!

hearthsong.com, great wooden toys and more :)
Ikea has the BEST playroom furniture, cheap and durable. You can't order online but there's one in Emeryville and Palo Alto, totally worth the drive!

Melissa & Doug toys are wooden and very nice quality. I have seen them in upscale toy stores and also places like Carter's and Kohls. I really like www.fatbraintoys.com You can shop by age so you know the toys are developmentally appropriate. Everything they have is educationally-based, well made and the prices are pretty reasonable.
KidKraft also makes sturdy toys. We purchased a pink, wooden kitchen set for my 2 year old daughter for Christmas and it has held up nicely.
My favorite furniture is from Pottery Barn, but they can be $$$. Still the craftsmanship of their items is solid and well crafted so it tends to last longer than other furniture that is out there. Hope this helps!
A.

This is "big time" play area furniture... but check out Cedarworks.com for indoor playsets (Rhapsody), playroom furniture, and playbeds. We have a Rhapsody set and absolutely love it--makes for awesome playdates.

Cedar Works is American-made in Maine from white cedar. Their outdoor playsets never splinter and never need to be stained.

1 / 3