Best Toddler Toys for Long Plane Trip

We are about to take our 14-month-old on a long plane trip (14 hours in the air plus one layover). I'd like to buy some new toys to give him on the plane to help keep him happy. Does anybody have any experience with this? What are the best toys for this situation?

Any other tips to make it a smooth trip would also be appreciated!

WOW, thanks so much, what excellent ideas!!! I never would have thought of the magnadoodle but clearly it's a winner. I made a list of everything everyone suggest and I'm going to do a little shopping. I also never would have thought to wrap them, awesome!

We are actually moving there (Germany) so I definitely will be bringing his car seat, but he has never been very good in the car and I'm a little nervous. I'm going to bring my nursing pillow on the plane so he can snuggle into my lap like he does at home. He is not walking yet so I'm a lil worried about how to let him get his energy out at the airport. I'm not comfortable letting him crawl around on those filthy floors.

We have never let him watch any TV or DVDs so I don't think we'll invest in a DVD player, but we'll have our lap top, so those suggestions gave me the idea to maybe let him watch some of our home movies we have stored on there as a last resort. Maybe I'll pick up a DVD as a LAST last resort :)

Thanks so much for all your ideas and warm wishes. This site is awesome!!

We became a fan of these websites this summer when we went on vacation:

http://www.momsminivan.com/
http://www.travelingwithkids.com/

Good luck and safe travels!

my brother and his family are doing the same thing - their kids are 3 and 5 though - a portable DVD player with some age appropriate videos would be a good investment for long "sit still" time - let him run around (really) when you are on layover - and you might want to think about an excellent SAFE and very effective herbal formula (for all of you) called Calmazon - let me know if you want any more information - have a safe trip

When we go on long trips we alway wrap up some little presents and have them open them throughout the trip. travelingwithkids.com has some great travel toys and games for kids of all ages. I would have to say our life saver is our portable dvd player however. Good luck on the trip.

http://www.momsminivan.com/
http://www.travelingwithkids.com/

Good luck and safe travels!

We take a small container of playdoh and one or two small cookie cutters. When my son was younger we left it in the bag and he just smooshed the bag between his fingers.

We also bring:

Stickers and a small spiral bound notebook
Color Wonder markers with a few pieces of the paper
A travel size etch a sketch or a travel size magnadoodle
A 'mommy' pen because they always want to use what we do:)
Two to three small matchbox cars
Board books

I keep everything in separate ziploc bags and pull them out as they get bored with the previous activity. I also bring a lot of snacks and the First Years sippy cups(pack extras in your suitcase in case you loose the one on the plane)

We have flown with my children at various ages and these items are kid tested mother approved:) My son was 11 months on his first flight and then 19 months on his second and I brought all of these things and he was happy and content.

Hello!

When our daugther was about that age, we brought a kid's memory game in a zip lock bag. Not to actually play the game, but to have her go through the cards and point out and name things that she knew. Along the way she picked up some new words, too.
We also like the travel-size Doodlepro since it does not involve water (like the Aquadoodle) and the pen is attached to the drawing board.
Lots of book of course, preferably new to him. Target has sometimes really good ones in the $1 section (Sesame Street, lift-the-flap etc).
DVD player of course, but that comes with a lot of other stuff and with carry on restrictions, may be not the best. Check out the airline schedule online, they might have a TV schedule already posted so you can plan/check out what they offer for that age.
Check out your lay over airport online, to see if and where there might be a children's play area. Some have some really good ones.
We also brought some new finger puppets (Ikea) in a ziplock bag. They are small and you can make up all sorts stories with them.
Have lots of snacks ready at hand.

Beyond all this, make sure YOU get a lot of rest before the trip, so you get into this with batteries fully charged to be able to cope with all the things that will come your way : ) Door-to-Door you are probably looking at 24 hours of travel time, so make sure you take care of yourself!

Best of luck on your trip and move!

Hopefully you've purchased him his own seat, and can bring his car seat. For my boys, they were most comfortable flying in their own car seat, since that is how they travel in the car. They also knew getting out was not an option (unless they were wet, or needed to move around after numerous hours.)

In addition, a teaspoon of Benadryl (suggested by their pediatrician) helped keep their ears clear so they weren't in pain, and made them just a bit sleepy, so they could rest during much of the flight. I never had a crying or fussy child on a plane with these techniques. Hope it works for you, too!

I go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of different toys and don't show him until we are on the plane and it is new and exciting for him. He has done very well with this. We also bought a portable DVD player and took it with us...make sure to take earphones. Good luck.

We just got back from a trip with our 17 month old, but the first time she flew was at 13 months. I know it is expensive, but my best advice it to get your toddler their own seat! You can take your carseat on the flight and buckle them in, or if they fall asleep you can lay them down and actually have the freedom to move around a little bit yourself. As for toys, we took books, a portable DVD player with favorite DVDs, and lots of snacks. There are no restrictions on beverages for your little ones, so you can bring juice, milk, or whatever for your child (and doesn't have to follow the 4 oz. rule)! I read (but didn't try this) that you can go to the dollar store to get a bunch of new toys, wrap them up and give them to your toddler as he gets bored. The wrapping alone will keep them occupied for some time, as well as a toy they've never seen before. Hope this helps!

Travel aquadoodle is great. It's about $10 at Target. Everyone is suggesting a DVD player- just be sure to bring toddler headphones. :)

1 / 3