Best SUV for 3 Kids (3 Carseats)

Hello Moms!
I am currently pregnant with #3. We are trading in our CRV for a larger SUV because we will need more room for 3 car seats (my lease is up, so we need to get a new vehicle anyway!).

My children are 3 and 6 (and the 6 year old will be in his booster until he goes to college because he's so damn skinny!). They will be almost 4 and almost 7 when the baby arrives.

So...tell me...what do you love about your SUV?? Please don't suggest a minivan. We're just not ready to make that leap...I know, I know...we will want one eventually, but not yet.

Thanks!!

Thank You everyone for the advice!

We have a few months to check out vehicles and test drive them before my lease is up and the new baby arrives, but you have all given me lots to think about.

Thank you, thank you!!

I have a Ford Explorer, I can get my daughters car seat, my other daughters infant seat, and another car seat in my backseat. I also have the third row seating and additional car seats can go there when I travel with my niece and nephew. Very happy with this SUV!!!

We have a Yukon Denali and loooove it! It is like driving a bus, but all the room is great! I am 34 weeks pregnant with our third baby, so we need lots of room! P.S. We bought it used, it is a 2006, but only had 27,000 miles on it! Alt cheaper than a new one!

Completely understand. I am NOT a minivan mom either. My parents always had vans when we were growing up & for some reason I have grown to despise them. I know, I'm weird. We only have two kids, but we have a large dog and are ALWAYS taking extra kids or people in general with us when we go places. We just bought our second Ford Explorer in the fall b/c we love it so much! This one has a 3rd row, but our first did not. I frequently fit three carseats across the second row when going places with a friend. The third row makes it nice b/c now we can take even more people with us when need be. I can now take my two, both in bulky convertible seats, my two nephews as well as my bil & sil places without having to take two vehicles. The second row easily folds down or the middle section between the carseats flip down to easily access the third row. There is still plenty of cargo room behind the third row.
Another option that I loved and seriously considered when we were looking to purchase this new vehicle back in the fall was the Chevy Traverse. It is a mid-size crossover. It has two different options.... either two bench seats for the second & third row.... or captains seats for the second row & bench for 3rd row. again seemed to have enough cargo space behind third row for the dog or a stroller, etc.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 05 GMC Yukon XL Denali!!! It seats 8 and there is TONS of space for storage! I do daycare and I can place 3 carseats in the middle row and 3 boosters in the back! :) It drives great and we figured we might as well go big and just do it once! Good Luck!

We love our Chevy Suburban! It's a 2005 and has bucket seats in the middle row so the 2 big boys can get to their carseats. It's SO easy for my husband or I to get to all the boys and buckle them in! I LOVE IT!

Hi B.~We upgraded our vehicle also when we had baby #2. Now with baby #3 almost here, I am soooo pleased with our decision.
We have a Ford Explorer xlt. It has 3 seats in the middle, and then a 3rd row that can be up, or level with the floor. That row seats another 2. I am able to fit 3 carseats in the middle row, but my oldest, who will be 7, usually prefers to just go in the far back so he has the extra room. It is very comfy. We just went a few months ago to Kansas and it was a great ride there. There is plenty of leg room in all seats. Your kids are about the same ages as mine. We will have a new baby, a 7yr old in a booster seat, and a 3yr old in a forward facing carseat, and like I said, I really couldn't be happier with our decision!
One suggestion I'd like to make, based on my experience---When you do go to check out vehicles, bring all carseats with you, even the infant seat and put them in as you normally would. That will give you a great idea as to how they will fit when you do install them all!
Good luck with your search & congrats on baby #3.

We have a GMC Yukon XL, and we LOVE it! It has eight seats which is great. Granted, we have four kids and another on the way, but it's great for when they get older and want their friends to tag along someplace. Ours has power everything and DVD player in it, which is great for long rides. There's plenty of room, and it rides great. Awesome turning capabilities. I'd look into getting one of those if you can. Look online at like autotrader.com or something, though, because most dealerships don't do the third row seat option without it costing you a bit more. We used to have a minivan, but this is just so much better. Again, if you can get this vehicle, you won't ever need a minivan. I don't think I'd ever have another minivan after having my SUV. Good luck with your search!

I LOVE my GMC Acadia. We have 3 kids 4 and under and it fits 3 carseats plus extras just fine!

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban and we love it! Ours actually seats 9 (we have 5 kids + 2 nephews) it has so much room for luggage or groceries! We live in Wa and it is great in the snow! It is the only car we bought brand new and am hoping to drive it till it dies....many years from now! It drives so smoothly and kinda like a luxury sedan, you know that feeling? It is a big SUV so you might not want one that size but if you can see yourself having any more kids...or can see taking cousins/friends with you guys lots of places it might be worth it for you.~We go camping every year and have taken 6 of the kids and 1 large dog and all the equipment that goes with it and it was a breeze fitting everything in:)

I used to have a 1991 Ford Explorer and it was my all time favorite "used car" ever...ran great, fit lots (but not enough for us),it was a 5 speed, had absolutely no "bells and whistles" but it was great, also excellent in the snow!

My sister has a 2002 Dodge Durango. It has the 3rd row seat. It fits 8 but does not have anywhere near as much room in the back for groceries or luggage as my suburban....and I personally do not like the window designs of Dodge's...they seem to have a big blind spot where the windshield meets the car frame on the drivers side?

Lots of friends and other mom's at my kids' schools have mini-vans and love them, we even looked at them when we were car shopping but I didn't like ANY of them... I guarantee my suburban has more room than most!

1 / 3