Best Shoes for Toddlers?

For the first pair of walking shoes, I purchased stride rite but they were $50. Is there truly a difference in the high price and the everyday prices for other shoes. I had read somewhere that cost does not mean that one shoe brand is better than another. Need some ideas of other brands for my grandson. He is 19 months old. thanks

What an incredible site! Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful answers. Makes grandmas job easier! When I was little my mom didn't scrimp on shoes either and next to nothing in funds. I now have some geat in-between ideas.

Have you tried the outlet mall in Allen? They have a StrideRite there too. Also watch for the sales. I got a $60 pair for $20 after Christmas. Also sometimes places like Ross or Marshalls has StrideRite. I personally found that they made a huge difference in my son's leg cramps. But that probably isn't in all kids. Also a narrow foot does better in Nike and a wider foot does better in Adidas or New Balance. Good luck!

I suggest checking out preschoolians.com and seekairun.com. Great shoes on both of those!

I used to work at Stride Rite and am pretty familiar with their products. I also now have two children and buy shoes for them. To me the benefit of Stride Rite shoes, over those you can buy at Payless or similar stores, is the wide variety of widths, the quality leather, and the staff who helps measure the foot both for length and width. Little feet do better with soft, breathable leather. Even leather shoes sold by Payless, etc. are not usually as soft as the leather used in Stride Rite shoes. Perhaps even more importantly though, children need a shoe that fits: one that is not too narrow and constricting or too wide and floppy. So whether you buy at Stride Rite or go "cheap" make your first priority a good fit.
Personally, I take my children to Stride Rite for a fitting every few months, just to make sure they're wearing the right size. I usually buy one pair of shoes there, the pair they wear most often. Then, I typically buy church/special occasion shoes and a pair or two of "knock around" shoes at some place like Target. That keeps the cost down (which in turn keeps my husband happy) and I don't worry about what they're wearing.

My daughters first pair of walkers were Stride Rite as well but we have switched to cheaper shoes and she does fine. My little girl is 23 months and wears shoes from Target (which I personally find to be the best so far), Payless, and pretty much any where.

I asked a shoe sales person about how you should measure whether they fit correctly or not. The sales person said that you should put the shoe on completely, have the child stand up, and you tap there foot on the floor until the toes shift to the bottom. If you can stick no more than your pinky finger in the back of the shoe they are perfect. The biggest test is to see how the child walks in them. Let him try them on and stroll around the store for a little while. Good luck!

Our podiatrist recommended Stride Rite. I know they are expensive but they tend to last the longest with my little guy. I just took some Stride Rite shoes that were barely worn to CCA in The Colony. They did not sell at the MOPS sale to my surprise and they were hardly worn. DS's feet do grow. Watch Stride Rite for sales and get on their mailing list.

How old is this toddler? The Academy of Podiatrists recommend that children under 2 be in soft-soled shoes like Pedipeds. My son just turned 2 and we bought him some "running shoes". Our first pair was See Kai Run and they run about $35. Very stylish but can be wide fitting. The second pair we bought was Tagkushi (I'm sure I am killing the spelling) from Sandy's and they are wonderful. Certainly as beneficial as Stride Rite (if not more) plus machine washable in case of leaks, more stylish, and only approximately $40.

Hi I have five kids the oldest being 23 and the youngest being 5 and at this age do not spend alot of money on their shoes they grow out of them to fast walmart or payless is fine and of course any great sale just make sure they have good support for walking and are a sturdy shoe.

My husabnd and I asked the kids doctor the above question years ago and he recommends Stride Rite or Keds to build thier arch support. I have noticed that they have great feet and it is something he tends to check at thier check-ups. To save on them buy at resale shops like Kid to Kid or Once Upon a Child. We bought new for Gabe then the girls came back to back so we have learned how to save. I hope this helps. :-)

1 / 3