Best Places to Buy Cloth Diapers/ Washing Cloth Diapers

Where is the best place to buy cloth diapers? Im looking for gently used or new cloth diapers. I need large/ XL in covers and pockets. I just started cloth so Im trying to save some money. I have a ton of prefolds but now I need more covers. I love the pockets and would love more of those too. What websites have you found to have the best prices? Also, how does everyone wash their cloth diapers? What do you use for detergent or no detergent?

I also cloth diaper my son and LOVE IT! When ever we are out of town and use disposable diapers he always has a blow out, which is a big pain and really messy. We use the mother-ease brand diapers and covers. I love them! You can find them online at www.motherease.com. When it comes to washing them I rinse out the soiled ones in the toilet and then put them in our bin. The wet ones we just place in there. When our bin is full, (about every 2 days)I just wash them in the machine on Hot with cold rinse and a bit of Seventh Generation baby detergent it works great! Like the other mom said you should just start simple and revamp from there. My son isn't eating solids yet so we'll see what I have to change once his BMs change.

Peapods in St. Paul is great for new ones. I would check out ebay for used ones. I just washed mine in hot water with detergent. There are so many options to check out by just doing a "cloth diaper" search online.

Try diaperswappers.com. You'll have to register but it seems to be the place to go for good quality gently used (and even some new) cloth dipes.

Swaddlebees.com has great covers and many colors too, when you can get them. I have one of their ABC wraps and keep going on the website and have called them too. The wraps are great! Not bulky at all. The ABC wraps are only $12.95 ea I think. Every time I call, she keeps telling me they should be in any day now. Maybe if enough people called or emailed, she can get them faster.
I have tried other wraps, but nothing compares to the Swaddlebees ABC.

Try www.diaperpin.com for reviews of the different cloth diapers and cloth diaper retailers. I haven't researched extensively, but most stores seem to have about the same prices for the actual diapers and/or covers. Shopping around for free shipping is probably your best bet for saving money when ordering online.

Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers are now on clearance since they are apparently revamping their design. They are selling for around $13-$14 per diaper, including the inserts in most cases.

As far as washing, I think it is trial and error in many cases. We have a front loading washer and I use a teeny tiny amount of Allen's Naturally detergent when I wash. I do a presoak, followed by a hot wash and cold rinse. I often do an extra rinse to make sure that all of the soap gets rinsed out, otherwise I tend to get stinky diapers. Most people would suggest starting with a very simple routine and then making changes to it only if you find that you are having problems. You'll find that there are a lot of different techniques and suggestions for washing your diapers, the trick is finding the one that works best for you.

You can get used ones ones on craigslist. For covers, I think motherease airflow covers are the most waterproof. They are about $10 each at the Motherease website.
As for washing, I use the cheapest fragrance-free stuff I can find at the groceiry. I usually cold rinse, hot wash, hot/cold rinse with baking soda. It works pretty well. I do have to throw a little bleach in every now and then as the diapers begin to retain odor from solid waste and then every time my little guy wets, it smells like poo. Bleach isn't very good for cloth diapers, but I haven't found anything else that works.
Best of luck!

1 / 3