Best Place to Move to in USA

We currently live in the twin cities, MN. We love everything about this place except the winters. It's long and boring , I keep complaining all the 6 months because it's so cold . My husband has this opportunity to move anywhere in the US. I am wondering which place we should move to. We have a one year old son, so it should be a place with good childcare, schools and lots of kid related activities to do. Also both of us work for IT companies , so it should be a bigger city where it would be easy for me find a job. Moderate weather and places to visit near by. Is there any such place in the US at all? Anybody made a big move with a young kid and loved the new place? Thans in advance for your help.

I moved to Texas 14 years ago... I lived in San Antonio for the first 10 and loved it! I would move back there some day I think... right now, I'm about family and live very close to my parents... this is what is important to me, family... I live in Plano, sub of Dallas, lots to do, you have every season in Dallas, right now we are in a VERY HOT summer, we had snow last year and the leaves change... if you like it HOT, move here, however, there is always A/C so you can live just fine even if you HATE the HOT...
I know there are some that hate the Texas schools, but I think it has offered a lot to my children, as well, as more opportunities than I had in Illinois...

California!!!! Silicon Valley... we have everything here

Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Campbell, San Jose
Palo Alto, Belmont, San Carlos, Los Altos... the list goes on & on

I grew up in Los Gatos and loved it 20 min from Santa Cruz (beach) and great schools

I loved San Diego....but it's TERRIBLY expensive now...

Florida doesn't have bad winters - although I've never personally lived there.

Northern Virginia is good...we do have winters but not six months...housing is OKAY.....

My sister LOVED Las Vegas - believe it or not, it's a VERY family oriented place.

I'm a military brat - so i wish I could move every 3 to 4 years again....this is the longest I've ever been in one place 15 years....yikes!!!

GOOD LUCK!! HAVE FUN!!!

We moved to Plano/Allen TX in 1989 from Charlotte NC. LOVE it here. We are a northern burb of Dallas.
TONS of things to do.
We have not been hit as hard with the economy as many states have been.
Love the fact that we have 2 great airports and we can be at either airport within an hour and be on either coast within a couple of hours.
Schools are excellent, our daughter is 16 and will be a Jr this year.
Companies are moving in, hiring and business is booming for many people.
I could go on and on about how much we love it.

Right now is the worst part of the year with the heat but I cannot stand cold weather and we do not have that much of it here.

We love it.

I agree with TF - TEXAS!

Well, I love San Diego. Lots to do here for families, and the weather can't be beat. In the winters, it's COLD if it gets into the 50s. These past couple of weeks, while the rest of the country is suffering with the terrible heat waves, it's topped out at 85 - with low humidity! - at my house. Perfect beach weather. :)

The one thing is that I don't really know what the job market is like out here. My husband has a stable job in IT, but I don't know how many companies are hiring. California in general, and San Diego specifically, are under terrible budget constraints. And that will affect everything from taxes to city services and schools.

The housing market hasn't been great. A lot of people I know are upside down on their mortgages and have either foreclosed or gone through short sales on their homes. That may mean that you can get a good deal on a house, but there do seem to be mini bubbles within certain price ranges and areas. All this is moot for us, because we have a home that we intend to stay in for the rest of our lives that we bought before the market peaked. But it's something to consider for people just moving here.

Good luck on your search.

If you want short winters id recommend Texas. I dont even own a jacket, a few light sweaters.....when it snows here we pinch ourselves.

Im looking for a longer winter myself, not a snowed in kind but a good 4 month retreat from the heat.

California!!!! Its beautiful, expensive to live but totally worth it!

Hard to beat San Diego for the weather, but terribly expensive housing when you're coming from Saint Paul - heard its a fantastic town aside from the winters: ) I can never leave my home because the my property taxes have been grandfather'ed in, but don't mind being stuck here!!! I love all of CA (and tons of IT) but also enjoy Boulder, CO, and Austin, TX in particular.

Seems like your son being so young, if a move is to be made, its the best time.

I am in the IT business, too. If I were looking for a place that was warm/hot with good IT job opportunities, I would consider California and Texas first.

1 / 3