Best Place for Portraits?

Up until this point we've just been getting Sears, and while they've been ok, I'd like some ideas for a new place to go for portraits. I want somewhere in the IGH-Eagan-SSP area, but we're willing to go to downtown St. Paul as well. I don't want to have to break the bank for a sitting fee and to purchase prints, but we're willing to pay to get someone who will work to get good shots.

I agree with Sadies at the MOA!! I got the greatest pics of my oldest when he was little! And, you can order ala carte...you don't have to order a big package, just pick and choose what you need, and they stay online for awhile so family and friends can order if they want.

I use Kiddie Kandids in Babies R Us. They are really good and they specialize in children

I don't have recommendations on any of the standard studios but I have used Olivia Wagner (as have a ton of my friends). She is just setting up a studio but has been doing outdoor photo shoots for years now. She charges a flat fee for the session and then gives you the CD of photos and you can make your own copies of whatever you want, wherever you want. She is fantastic with kids and takes beautiful photos.

Here is a link:

http://www.oliviawagnerphoto.com/

I've worked for Sears, Pennys, and Proex. I would totally go to Proex specifically the one in Eagan and when you make your appointment ask for someone with alot of experiance or the manager to take them. I use to work there and that's what alot of customer's did. Once they got a good photographer they would only use him or her. THEY are almost always on time, it's not like Sears and Penny's an appointment is serious buisness at Proex the only time we've ever been behind was at xmas time. You buy what you want, no pressure, no pushy sales person. You tell them exactly what your looking for. I no longer work there but I really miss working there and still bring my own daughter there.

I'll be the one voice of dissent on Sadie's. We went there and I was very unimpressed. It seemed to me that they were more skilled at creative sets than working well with babies. I personally prefer simple backgrounds that highlight the subject (the baby) to a lot of props. Given that, I didn't find that the extra cost (they are quite a bit more expensive than Sears or JCPenney) was worth it at all. Good luck!
***********
Update 4/30: I went to the ProEx in Eagan this weekend per the suggestions in this post. I was very pleased. I didn't feel like I had a ton of input into the process (poses, enhancements, etc.) but it didn't end up mattering because the photos were ultra-simple (plain white background, no props). Talia was my photographer and she did a very good job capturing my babies' personality. She also seemed to be a much more skilled photographer than the Sadie's photographer I had.

All in all, the pictures turned out beautifully and were affordable. I also liked the fact that because I pre-paid for the package, I got to take my proofs home before deciding.

I loved Kiddie Kandids in babies r us in woodbury!!! They don't have a sitting fee, don't have a time limit, and they take a ton of pictures!!! Plus reprints are only $5 per sheet... Check out the web site www.kiddiekandids.com

My sister in law uses Ron Berg photography in West St. Paul. It is right off of HWY 52 on Mendota Road/Southview Blvd. Her pictures are always beautiful, however I don't know about cost.

There's an excellent photographer at the Roseville JCPenney named Valleen, who has taken incredible pictures of my daughter. She took her picture at 1, 1 1/2, 2 and 3, and each time there were more good shots that I could really afford to buy.

It sounds like you're thinking of going more upscale, but if you get sticker shock try Valleen. (There are usually pretty good coupons on the JCP website, too.)

1 / 3