Best Labels to Label Clothing, Shoes, Bags?

My daughter will be starting preschool in a few days and I hadn't even thought about labeling her clothes. I've heard of something called Mabel's Labels but has anyone else got any recommendations to share for labelling shoes, clothes and other belongings?

I used 'stikins' labels sold here: http://www.labellighthouse.com/

They come in three sizes and have worked well on almost all of my daughter's clothes--even the ones with tagless labels (I just used the smaller ones). I put them in her shoes, on a sippy cup (it's been through the dishwasher a dozen times and the label is still on and reads like it was still brand new), on a few of her diaper bag supplies. Overall very happy with the product.

I second Melissa's idea of the black laundry marker, which is the rub-a-dub marker with the Sharpie brand on it now (wonder if it was always that way or if an acquisition took place?)...I just saw them at Office Depot last week in a 2-pack.

I agree with the marker idea. Just make sure you put the last initial or name on the clothes.

D.,
I find that tags fall off after a while. I used one to label my sons coat which was never washed and the label fell off after two wearings.
What I find that works is a simple sharpie pen (ultra fine point) or clothing markers which are also permanent called IDenti-Pen. The pen has a fine point and ultra fine point on the same pen. I purchased them at a fabric store, most likely the Mill End store in Beaverton. I checked JoAnn's fabrics super store yesterday and they didn't have any. (What a disappointment.)
Marking clothing and back packs is a great way of getting things back. With our 8yr old it has been a Godsend.
Best of luck to you.

D.,

My dad always used the Rub a Dub Dub marker on my stuff when I was little. It's like a sharpie, but for clothes and doesn't bleed out in the wash. I plan on using it with my kids when we get there, starting next year.

Just googled Rub a Dub Dub, and it's a sharpie brand, lol.

Hi D.,

In preschools in Hungry they give each child a symbol to mark their belongings to... they have little apples, or my son was a mug; but they have these little designs that you can tie onto or decorate your child's clothes with; permanant marker on the tag inside the shoe, or whatnot... and ask if at the preschool you can give you daughter a strawberry; or some symbol to identify and label her clothes... or if a name will be needed... other symbols could be a ladybug, a bear, a tree, a house, ext... if she has a certain theme she likes you can just incorporate them together. I really don't know the system here, as my son isn't in school yet here... but this is how they do it in Europe, and it was really cool, how he always knew it was his by the mug!

Take care,

I bought some labels from www.labeldaddy.com and they are really great.

I did not like the maker, it faded out of the clothing after 10 washes. You can go to an embroiderer or check out the sewing shops. In the sewing machine area they may know a person who can make tags for a reasonable cost. I am having my Aunt do mine for just the cost of materials. With my older kids I found that they were only needed for outer clothing, jackets, sweaters, coats, backpacks. I know of an embroider place on 181st in Portland.

1 / 3