Best Hospital to Have a Baby...? Worst?

I'm still working on the getting pregnant part but my body is having some issues (ie. a 70+ day cycle.) My practice just closed their office near us and so if I'm going to switch doctors, I would prefer to do it now before I even get pregnant. We live in O'Fallon/St.Peters but I don't mind a drive. I know my mom had a great experience at St.Luke's with my "baby" brother about 11 years ago, but that was 11 years ago. So anyway, I'm looking for recommendations and also warnings for local hospitals. Thank you very much!

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I actually already went to Dr. Matuszek for my first *female* appointment when I was 18, the only reason I switched was because we moved away and when moved back I was a little uncomfortable with her not having any partners. I switched to a larger practice and I do like them (Genesis) but now that they've closed their St.Peter's office, I've pretty much decided to switch back to Dr.Matuszek who has better options for hospitals anyway. I'm not really comfortable going to a practice with males-at least for now- but thank you all for the suggestions! Hopefully they can help others too.

I have always heard St. Lukes is the best. I DO NOT recommend St. Joseph is St. Charles. That is where I had my son and I will not go back.

Christopher Ahering is a great OB, he is located in St John's Medical Building on Ballas Rd . I have had children in St John's and St Luke's Hospitals and both were great experiences.

Best place I've had a baby so far was St. Johns Mercy, though I have heard wonderful things about St. Lukes. My ob at St. Johns is Dr. Marsha McBride. She's awesome! Willing to answer any questions you may have. St. Johns treated me with much love and respect. My little girl ended up having a few problems when she was born and they were most helpful! Do NOT go to St. Joes in St. Charles. Bad place to have a baby. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please msg me!

my DIL and several other people I work with - in just the past few months, have all had great experiance with St Luke's. and my DIL and one other girl went to Dr V(can't remember the full name) but she is at St Luke's in suite 603 I do believe. I went with her to several of her appts and was very pleased with her care and she gave us alot of information.

I had all four of my babies at St. John's Mercy. That hospital is sometimes referred to as the Ballas Baby Palace or the Baby Factory - in disparaging terms because they deliver so many babies. That one hospital delivers about 25% of all babies born in the St. Louis area. I wanted to go with experience. I was a little concerned that going to a hospital that delivers sooooo many babies, that I would not be treated special - just one of many. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. I had my first baby there in 1989 and had many difficulties, and was treated extremely well. I had my second in 1992 and the experience was even better. The third in 1994 and the fourth in 1995 - and when the last one was born, I felt like I was giving birth in a luxury hotel.

Even though the staff handles births all day every day, they seemed genuinely excited about my baby. I felt very special and very well cared for, and I knew my baby was being treated exceptionally well.

For me, the reason for going to St. John's was that they are so experienced, that if anything were to go wrong, they would know exactly what to do. They wouldn't have to transport the baby to another hospital or call in specialists. They have a great neonatal care unit and they're prepared for the worst.

My own OBGYN became ill and had to leave her practice but a few others are still in in the OBGYN Inc. practice I went to. Dr. Walsh and Dr. Rice are both wonderful female OB's who work out of St. John's.

I have had wonderful experiences all 4 times at St. John's. They have caring nurses and treat you like you're the most important person there!
Good luck and may God give you the gift of a baby.

I go to Dr. Matuszek. She is located in St. Peters. The phone number is ###-###-####. Julie Schweitzer is the Nurse Practitioner and she is awesome! I delivered my son at Missouri Baptist. If you're looking for a more "natural" friendly hospital that is the one to go to. I was told by Dr. Matuszek as well as Jule Scheitzer not to go to St. Johns because they are a "baby factory". My OB recommends St. Lukes and MOBAP. I hope this helps. Good luck getting preggers!!

I had my son at MO Bap last July. It was wonderful!!! My OB/GYN is located there (Dr. Scott Biest) and he is great too! MO Bap's staff is very friendly and ready to help you with whatever you need. I asked for my epidural when I started getting uncomfortable and the anistestiologist was there in less than 5 minutes!!! He did a great job too.

The aftercare was the best. I didn't want to leave because the food was SO delicious!! NO KIDDING!!! You get a full restaurant style menu and can order at any time!

One other awesome thing was a couple of weeks after my son's birth I received a card in the mail from MO Bap with a $75 gift certificate for Westfield Shopping Center!!! I have no idea why I received it (it said something to the effect that "we promised this to you. Sorry it is late.") but I went ahead and spent it! It might have something to do with the birthing classes I took there???

HTH! Good luck!

1 / 3