Best Formula for Acid Reflux Baby?

What is the best formula for babies with acid reflux?

I know every baby is different but I'd appreciate hearing what you've tried and worked or didn't work.

P.S. I'm exclusively pumping right now (for various reasons - latch, weight gain concerns, mastitis twice in the early weeks and again now) but need to switch to formula. I know breastmilk is best so I've already beaten myself up about making the switch, so please only kind replies. :)

My son not only had reflux, but was aspirating into his lungs, also. We added Simply Thick (a thickener) to his milk while I was pumping since the rice cereal wasn't making the breast milk thick enough. After I stopped pumping, we tried all of the formulas out there, and we have had the best luck with the Nestle Good Start formulas (because of the "comfort proteins").

-Tejal

I used the Parents Choice soy formula from Walmart. It had the same stuff as the more expensive Brand Name Formulas, but I found that it disolved the best. Granted my son did not have acid reflux, but he did react quite a bit to the other formulas.

C., I can totally relate also. My son had reflux and colic at the same time. It was horrible. I pumped and then had to switch to formula and we went with Nestle Good Start. We tried several others before we tried this and it worked the best for him. Plus you can go to their website and they will send you coupons. http://www.verybestbaby.com/Public/Default.aspx

-Tejal

I can totally relate to what you are going through. My baby has reflux and we had a really hard time breastfeeding. I exclusively pumped for awhile too, but it was so hard to pump enough and take care of the baby. Please do not be hard on yourself, my baby is thriving and happy, she is never sick and smart as a whip! and I stopped pumping at 6 weeks. I wish I could have done it longer, but it really was not working for either of us!
I think all pedi's have different opinions, but my pedi told us not to switch the formula because no matter what she would be on, she would have reflux. So we kept her on Similac with iron. He said that soy and other formulas can cause all the same problems. That said, I have heard of a formula called Alimentum, I heard that it is expensive but can help with the reflux.
What helped us the most, was sitting her more upright when she fed, giving her smaller meals more times a day, keeping her upright for 20-30 min after a feeding (I would put her in her bouncy or swing a lot if she was ready to sleep), I elevated her crib on one side. She is also on prevacid which helped A LOT! Her reflux has improved a lot now (she is 10 months) and I am so happy!
I wish you lots of luck, I know how hard having a reflux baby can be.

We battled really bad acid reflux with both of our boys. Both are adopted, so breastfeeding wasn't an option. Both did well on Enfamil AR (pink can). It's a lot thicker, so it stays down better. I have also heard of good success with the ProSobee from Enfamil. Hope this helps!

Hello. best of luck to you and your little one. I know that Reflux is not the funnest thing. My daughter was diagnosed at 8 weeks. She is now 20 months and still using Zantac 25 efferdose tablets. After my milk supply ran out, we tried tons of the major brands who offered formulas that were targeted at being more gentle. We then tried Soy and it was the only thing that worked for the most part but not completely. It wasn't until we tried Bright Beginnings Lipids formula that everything became smoother and easier for her. There was no need to use Soy because it worked so well with her. Its also a lot cheaper (nice bonus!) You can order online as well and get more for your money. I saw somewhere recently that they now carry a Gentle formula, too. We use used rice cereal for thickening and then later on different cereals as the Dr agreed to add them to her diet. Best of luck in finding what works best for your little one!

My daughter had severe enough reflux as a baby that they stuck a tube down her throat for 24 hours and hooked her up to a machine to test the severity of the acid. Anyways, we started with Gentlease and then slowly switched to lacto-free (target and walmart both make generics now). She was also put on various Rx's. But another thing that seemed to calm the occasional reflux after the switch in formula was Gripe Water. For some reason it would almost instantanously stop the crying and relax her. It is all-natural so you can give it pretty liberally. I found it at Sprouts and Central Market, but I have heard that many Indian grocery stores carry it as well.

Most babies outgrow the problem before their first birthday. Hang in there.

Hi C.~

I am so sorry to hear about your baby have GERD. My daughter was diagnosed with GERD when she was a day old. We have been on some form of medication from the start. What is really working for us is Nestle Good Start. We tried enfamil gentlease and AR and neither of them worked. Soy seemed to make the reflux worse for our DD. We have had so much success with Nestle Good Start and Prevacid.

On a totally different note- Good for you for making it breastfeeding for this long. I had mastitis twice too and it was horrible! I had to stop breastfeeding due to medical issues but at the end of it I was pumping exclusively too...what hard work! Hope I have been of some help!

Happy Tuesday!

Also talk to your pediatrician about adding a thickener to her formula or breastmilk (for when you feed her from the bottle). My daughter was a near 8 week preemie and developed reflux as well. She had to do a barium swallow test and it was determined that my breastmilk was simply too thin and she was aspirating milk into her lungs - not good! So we had to do thickener and she never had any issues. With her reflux, it mainly affected her breathing too, not so much the spitting up - that was rare. But if rice doesn't help as Erica suggested, ask about the thickener. Good luck!! :_)

-Char

we use Enfamil Gentleease nothing else seemed to do it for him

1 / 3