Best Floatation Device for Toddler/preschooler

I am curious what other moms use for pool safety. My husband and I are taking our two kids (4 1/2 and 2) away this weekend to a hotel with a pool. We usually use a regular life jacket (because we happen to have 2), but they always ride up around their necks and the strap that goes between the legs, rubs my daughters leg raw...The little arm floaties just dont seem safe...any suggestions that are inexpensive???
Just want to add also...we never let our kids in the pool alone...we are always right there holding onto them...just want added safety as they get to be "more" adventurous! thanks for the responses so far.

Thanks for all the helpfull advice. I think we will purchase the swim vests that most of you recommended. It depends on the availibility of them (we are in a remote area). We will be in the pool with them as well...also, thanks for reminding me about swim lessons. Our pool was closed all last summer for renovation, I need to go check about lessons!

Hi Sweetie.....
You might try to google (flotation devices for kids) for over 100,000 ideas and the prices aren't bad either.
Good luck and have fun.

C. M Hamlin
aka g'ma

we use a life jacket for my grandson it comes up around his neck but he does not have the strap between the legs. I have seen at walmart do not know the cost but thy are 1 piece swim suits with floatation stuff already sewn into them. there are also the blow up things that they can sit in and float about the pool
good luck and have fun
Paula

C.,

The best flotation for any child that cannot swim on their own are parent's two hands.

I teach swim lessons at my local YMCA and I think that any kind of floaty gives the kids a false sense of security/accomplishment while in the water. I've seen many kids in a life jacket or other floaty get in the water, bob once, then either faceplant into the water or flop backwards then roll to a faceplant. Either way it scares the kids and they don't like the water nearly as much as before.

Goodmorning!
I myself don't like to be around the water... don't know how to swim.. so I was always paranoid when my daughter was around any body of water! So my friend turned me on to the best invention ever! It is a swimming suit that has a pocket-type sleeve in it. In the pocket fits sheets of a foam. As the child learns more skills of swimming you can take the sheets out. It's a gradual way for them to build their swimming skills. As first you start out with 4 sheets on their tummy and 4 on their back. My daughter did great and it calmed my nerves quite a bit! Have fun with the warm weather we having now! And good luck! Also... if you are looking into swimming lessons at all... Whitworth College offers great lessons!

Stearns makes a kids life vest that is kind of a combination life vest/arm floatie--and it's pretty cute. They are also pretty inexpensive ($20-$30). You can see it here http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-STNS-3864GRN-00-000-Puddle-.... (Hopefully that link works.) Stearns is a great company--that's where we get all our vests!
BTW, I would use this for swimming or at the beach, but not on a boat.

We have a Speedo "Swim Vest" for our 3-year-old son. It allows him to float, but is NOT like a life jacket. It is specifically intended to help preschool age kids learn to swim. He loves it because he's mobile and can "swim" without being choked by an actual life jacket. He does need supervision, of course. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for! They're on sale at Land's End. Here's a link: http://www.landsend.com/pp/SpeedoSwimVest-74228_182546_-1...

Hi Sweetie.....
Good luck and have fun.

C. M Hamlin
aka g'ma

There are swimsuits with built in styrofoam type floaties.

good luck and have fun
Paula

what we wound up doing for my 4 year old is buying a bathing suit with boy shorts so her life jacket didn't rub her raw anymore. it worked wonderfully! the suit was a modest 2 piece bought in the toddler section of fred meyer (tankini and boy shorts), and i love that extra measure of safety and security the life jacket gives us (even though we're pretty vigilant with her around the water).

1 / 3