Best Educational Video in General for 16 Month Old

I try to utilize TV/DVDs sparingly -- up to one hour to one hour and 20 minutes a day depending on weather, if hubby can help, health etc.... It is also the only thing that will enable me to change his diaper or his clothes without too much of a struggle :) In this context, I rotate interesting and educational dvds for my 16 month old. I use mostly the baby einstein series (he loves baby noah), but I would like to try some new themes and concepts. Any ideas????

Thank you in advance...

I don't mean to be critical, but he shouldn't be watching more than 30 minutes a day, if you are going to let him watch TV at all. It will interfere with language development.

leap frog videos & sesame street. Also you can pretty much let them watch anything on PBS and it's educational. If you have the sprout channel then that is as well, and is geared towards babies & toddlers.

Hey Mama-

Check out the letter factory or word factory DVD's by Leapfrog. They are great and anyone who says they aren't educational at all is full of it. I have seen lots of kids learn all their letters and the sounds from these video even at 16 mos. Sure there are other ways to teach this, but I don't see the bid deal with an hour of tv a day. Try and ignore all the holier than thou moms who never let their kids see tv---seeing as you didn't ask for these women's opinions on how to raise your son or to be berated for some tv time. You asked for DVD suggestions. Get a life people! I know here in Chicago we have been getting dumped with snow and cold weather for months, sometimes you just need to have some relax time. There is nothing wrong with a kid watching some tv--I think people highly over-react to this sort of thing. Zoning out and letting your brain relax for a bit everyday is fine IMO. I watched TV as a kid and I am just fine....

It has also not interfered with my daughter's language development. She started talking with first words around 7 months and is a chatterbox. By 2 she was counting to 20 in English and Spanish, knew all the letters and their sounds, all her shapes, and many colors. She is 3.5 now and is currently learning to read, sounding out words. She could sit for hours just looking through books. Everything in moderation.

I have to agree with the other Moms, there are no educational DVD's for 16 month old children. TV is entertainmentm, and if you use it this way, you should not try to fool yourself into thinking that it is anything more than that. Your baby needs you to talk to him, and enrich his enviornemt by using run of the mill, everyday expereices and your voice. Cheap, yet effective.

BTW even Disney has admitted that baby enstein videos have no educational value, and if I am not wrong, they recently offered to give you your money back, because they were trying to avoid being procecuted for misleading consumers.

Yeah, there's really no such thing. The whole Baby Einstein thing is a load of _____ and Disney has now had to pay up for their shady marketing.

I totally get the stick a dvd in quick while you run to the bathroom or take a shower, but it does not offer any educational benefits for your child. If you're truly looking for something educational for your child keep in mind that, at this age, EVERYTHING is educational. Even going to the grocery store is educational, so you can take some comfort in that. The less technology at this age, chances are, the more educational. Good luck. It sounds like you're a great mom who only wants the best for her child.

Im going to agree with Anne A. on this one. Im in NH and on rainy crappy days sometimes sitting on the couch with your kid is a nice way to relax. My oldest is 9 and he loved the Leap Frog videos. Letter Factory was his favorite and he is doing just fine right now. My oldest also learned about fire safety at 2 by watching Sesame St. The alarm went off one day while I was cooking and he told me to get down and we needed to get out of the house. TV is not evil and will not ruin your child as long as you make sure what he is watching is age appropriate. PBS kids and Play House Disney has lots of fun shows my 3 year old loves to watch in the morning while I am running around getting 3 kids and myself ready.

Jilly, I'm sorry but an hour and 20 minutes a day of t..v is NOT sparing for a one year old baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO t.v. for under two years, and then no more than half an hour at two. There are no educational dvds, there has never been any proof that these dvd's do anything to make a child smarter or more advanced- they learn through interaction with people and exploring their surroundings. Perhaps you've heard about the Baby Einstein refunds - the company is paying people who don't think their baby has gotten any smarter from these dvd's after the company mislead parents to believe that there was some sort of evidence that their baby would benefit when really it was just false advertising.
I'm sorry, I know that's not what you were looking for, but it is what it is, a bad habit started very young.

We got a mini van with a DVD player when my son was 16 months old. I researched the dickens out of educational DVD's....and I have to say I LOVE the Leap Frog DVD's...we started with the "Letter Factory" by 20 months old; and remember he only saw this in the car, he knew all his letters and their sounds. We then moved onto "Math Circus" and he knew all his numbers up to 30 by the time he was 22 months old...I then went and got "Talking Words Factory" and he can now sort of sound out words @ 29 months old. I also bought at the same time the DVD they have about School (I forget the name) and he knows his months of the year, seasons, and animal families. I really do love these DVD's. And please know we do not spend countless hours in the car each week....we just do quick trips like to the grocery store, mall, post office or park...he maybe gets an hour maybe 2 in total of theses DVD's...they have cute catchy songs and I swear by them....

I ditto Anne A's answer.

How great is it that even though your daughter is only 16 months old you find it important that she be watching educational programs!!

It’s hard to say which is the “Best” because you’re the only one who can decide that for your baby. Which is best is a matter of opinion. I do agree with A.G. about the Leap Frog videos, esp. the Letter Factory one. It’s really cute and the song at the end of the video is really catchy! My son sings it all the time and the great part is, he is practicing his letters sounds everyday by singing it! Go figure! He’s learning from watching a video on T.V.!

Most parents I know with babies say Elmo is a favorite. I can tell you my son from a very young age LOVED Curious George and now at 4 ½ he it’s still his favorite. He has just about every book in the series too. Good luck finding what best suits your little baby!

1 / 3