Best Diaper Rash Cream and Baby Wipes?

My 17 mo. old developed a diaper rash yesterday. He rarely gets a rash, but when he does, they're bad. He usually onlt gets a rash if he has diarrhea, which he doesn't have now. His bottom is red, and there are spots that are starting to get raw, but no bumps. He screams in pain every time I change his diaper. I bought some wipes for sensitive skin, but they don't seem to be any different than the regular wipes. I tried Beudreaux's Butt Paste yesterday and it seemed to make it worse (he couldn't even sit down). I used A&D ointment this morning, but it didn't seem to help much. Now I'm using Desitin cream, but it's still pretty red. I'm changing his diaper often and keeping him as clean as possible. What wipes and diaper rash creams work best? I feel so bad every time I change him, I just want this rash to go away!

Recently my little girl Had a terrible case of diaper rash. The Dr. told me to use a warm wash cloth instead of wipes b/c the soap or chemical in the wipe could make things worse. Then he recommended triple paste. It comes in a jar or tube in a white box with blue writing. It works way better than Boudreax's I think it's very thick. At night I put her in one size larger nite time diaper made by huggies & shalack her bottom with that & it has done wonders. Worth a try. Good Luck.

I HAVE to agree with Lisa. I was desperate to find something for my lil' girl and I must have had that distraught look on my face. A mom walked by and told me to use Dr. Smiths..."buy two" she said. I did and WOW, I will not use ANYTHING else. It is about $7 at Walmart (top shelf, plain square box). My girls both have loose BM's when they teeth that cause blisters upon contact....this stuff is amazing. Put it on thick since he is broke out now....you will be shocked tomorrow what a difference.

We use domeboro for really bad rashes. Our pedi prescribed it to her when she had a bleeding rash at 2 months old. It went away within HOURS! It wasn't very expensive either.
As far as wipes, don't use them. Wet some paper towels with water and keep them in a ziploc. Wipes have soap in them and it can really burn their buns!

I did in home child care for 17 years and went through A LOT of diaper creams. I found over the years that Dr. Smiths is the best I could have ever found. I had a little boy w a rash that was the worst I have EVER seen! I used it on every diaper change and asked Mom to do the same at home. In 24 hours it was gone! It is EXPENSIVE but worth it! You can find it at wal greens, CVS, some times at wal mart and I have also seen it at Kroger.

Good Luck with your little guy!

Hi B.: My son just went through this, you may want to use wet wash cloths while he is having a diaper rash, then blot dry with a dry towel. after that apply desitin, change diapers frequently and apply desitin every time. It seems tohelp my son.

Are you sure it isn't a yeast infection? Usually the rashes that won't go away with a good cream are yeast. Has he been on antibiotics lately? That often causes it. Get a pedi to check it and if it is, they'll probably tell you to use Lotrimin AF (We mix it with hydrocortisone and vaseline, and it works wonders!) As for regular rash creams, we tried many and found that Bert's Bees Ointment works best. My 2 year old even asks for it by name when he's sore.

Hi, I have 3 kids, my youngest is 16months and the BEST thing my first child's pediatrician ever told me was to put Maalox (antacid) on the rash first, then (if any) use the diaper cream. The reason is, diaper cream only provides a barrier against future urine/feces irritating the skin but it also makes a nice moist place for the OLD bacteria that's already on the skin to grow. So the maalox neutralizes the acidic environment of the rash and by the next diaper change I promise you it will be less red. If it gets really bad and the maalox doesn't work then our pedi said by that time it's probably a yeast infection and we had to use athletes foot cream or vaginal yeast infection cream depending on the type of infection.

So, in 7 years I've never used diaper cream unless it was on top of the maalox. Sometimes I just use a cotton ball to apply it... other times I just pour it on.

Change diaper often. Let him go naked after bath for a little while to let area dry completely. Use Aveeno Oatmeal powder in bath water-it cleans and comforts. I personally don't think one diaper cream is really all that better than another. They are only to keep moisture away from the skin. I use Huggies Natural Care wipes, but if you want to make sure no chemicals get to his delicate skin, then don't use wipes. Use water and a very soft cloth of some sort. If he is in pain, instead of mild discomfort, I would take him to the doctor asap. Good luck!

1 / 3