Best Bunk Bed for Small Room?

Our children share a tiny room (we have a crib with built in changing table, a toddler bed, a small rocking recliner and an end table and that is all there is room for in there....

In the event that they outgrow their crib/toddler mattresses before we add on, I'd like to get them a bunk bed. I actually prefer for them to just share a room but a bunk bed is also an idea. What one did you find that worked best for a small room?

Is there much difference in a metal versus wood? I would think that the wood would OBVIOUSLY be more sturdy....I'd like this bunk to be something that one of them could take to their next room as their bed (and have an extra bed for friends).

My daughters share a very small room. and It seems they grew out of bunk beds quicker than I thought they would. Like, they loved the whole "I want to be on top," to "i dont want to get on top. So, Now we have a trundle bed. where one of the beds rolls under. so it makes for more room. just a thought.

check walmart. they have a set that can also be broken down into seperate twin beds in the event they don't share a room in the future you don't have to buy them new beds.

We have the "Reversible Bed" from Ikea. LOVE IT. So versatile. And has a really cool starry night bed tent! Keep in mind when you are looking at it, that although it is pictured as a bed on top OR bottom, we have a mattress on both top AND bottom. But you still have the other options as well, which is why we like it so much. Plus, the top bunk is not as high as traditional bunks, which is better for younger kids. The only thing we added, were handles on the ladder, for easier grip when climbing.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116207

Check out IKEA. They have the best furniture for small homes and apartments. They have really nice children's furniture that will transition them well into the teen years. The prices are very reasonable and there is plenty to choose from style-wise.

See: www.ikea.com (click united states, then children's furniture)

I think wood is safer/more stable and lasts longer then the metal ones. The metal beds are made to be light so they are not very durable. They can tip too if the children are being over rambunctious. My sister had one in her young teen years and to top just didn't seem safe and sturdy at all!
We bought bunks when youngest grew out of crib... but seperated the 2 twin beds for awhile. Oldest is 6 and requested the beds be put together. I agreed because it gave us alot more floor space. They love it! We set rules about the beds and serious consciences if not followed. They know them and haven't tried to push their luck yet so I feel they are safe. Also when my husband assembled the beds....... he put the railings on the top bunk up alittle higher than where the predrilled holes indicated. So the rail is pretty high. If it were a metal prefab bed- you couldn't do that!
Hope this helps:)

In a small room I would have to say a bunk bed that has the drawers underneath. This will save on space because you can eliminate a bureau.

We have a wood bunk bed. It is very sturdy and still fits in the small space of their room. The top bunk has rails all the way around so no one will fall out while sleeping.

My 4 yo DS got a metal bunk bed for his birthday and loves it. It is a very study design, not the cheap style. It Is a twin over full, so it can easilt sleep 3 people. Right now he still sleeps on the bottom, so we use the top for playing in his clubhouse and at night to store stuff. There is also alot of room under it for storage. I keep his old toddler mattress under there to pull out if we need an extra bed. Definatly look at the frame before you buy. You will know if it can stand up to your kids.

1 / 3