Best Books for 5 Year Old

I am going to get a few story books for my niece who is turning 5 and I need a few ideas. What are your 4-5 year olds' favorite books? I know she likes Click Clack Moo...

WOW! thanks for all the GREAT responses! I am going to print off this list and refer to it whenever I go for books (for our nieces AND for my little one who is 17 months)! I ended up getting "Giggle Giggle Quack" & "Knuckle Bunny" & Knuckle Bunny Too" (by Mo Williams) and they were a big hit! My niece actually sat down right after opening presents and paged through 2 of the books and then had her grandpa read one to her! thanks again!

A. there are sooo many to look at but Dr. Suess is always a huge hit. My kids also like Spot books and Clifford. For that age I look at the level 1 and 2 for reading because if she can't read them herself they are great learning tools. Anything with repetition is good also. Good luck! S.

OK, so you have a Million great books listed here... I too was going to suggest the Fairy/ Princess books from Usborne (ot other places too), The very Hungry Caterpillar, all the If you give a Mouse a Cookie and such books...

The all-time favorite of my 4-5 preschoolers is the Runaway Pancake by John Lithgow... If you can find it with the CD, John Lithgow reads it with his silly voices and singing, they laugh the whole way through!!!

My daughter (5) loves sticker books. Usborne books has great dress up sticker books. For example it tells a story about fairies and it has hundreds of stickers to dress the fairies up. You could also look at learn to read books. We like the Bob Books - very easy to learn. She is also really into making craft projects like you could find at Ben Franklin.

There's a great resource called "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease. The first part of the book has great information on the importance of literacy for kids and how to help maximize their reading skills. The second part is a list of recommended books by age group, all the way through high school, broken out by genre. I have used this book with the boys, for buying books as gifts for other kids, and as a teacher. It might be worth getting the most recent edition.

As for our personal favorites, my 4 year-old has too many to mention here, but something we just started is chapter books with him. We're currently reading "The Wind in the Willows." Most nights we snuggle in bed and read 5-6 pages. It will take forever to get through this way, but it's great the my son will just listen to the richness of the story, and try to guess what happens next. And I appreciate a story without pictures. :)

pink-a-licious, Aint gonna paint , Strawberry shortcake, blueberrys for sal, walter the farting dog, miss rumphius, fancy nancy, and there is also a click clack quack book....hope this helps

Any of the earlier Dr. Seuss books, also "Give the mouse a cookie" there are several ones by that author. Any of Stephen Kellog's books, such as "The day Jimmy's boa ate the wash" The pictures are so funny!

Hope this helps!

I am a mother of nine, grandmother of five and a teacher.

Hi A.

I would highly recommend Do-Re-Me books through Discovery toys. Yes I am a rep!! so if you would like to take a look at them please log onto: www.discoverytoyslink.com/debschnieder
My 5 year old boy LOVES these books as most of them come with a CD full of great songs! Also the AHOY PIRATE PETE book is one they can do on their own and change the story line - it's great!

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions! Oh, and Mamasource members get 10% off their order!

Thanks and good luck

D. Schnieder
www.discoverytoyslink.com/debschnieder

Jamie Lee Curtis writes one called "Its hard to be 5" Its hilarious and so true.

What is she interested in? See if you can find something along those lines. If not, talk to the clerk at the bookstore or even the library to get some ideas.

good luck and happy shopping!

Don't let the pigeon stay up late!

I am a consultant for a kids book company. Please feel free to check out my website at www.kidsbooksbydeb.com for some great ideas and gifts.

1 / 3