Best Bath Soap for a Toddler?

What kind of bath soap do you all use for your toddlers? It just seems like we go through a ton of it and I am looking for the most reasonably-priced option. I am not too worried about "green", but I don't want a lot of perfumes, and it needs to be for young kids or "tear-free". Also something that can be used for body wash and shampoo.

Ideally I would like to be able to buy it in a fairly large bottle so we aren't always running out! Any ideas? I just don't have a lot of time to shop around.

You know, it seems like the question isn't so much "what soap to use" as how to use it economically and not overdry their skin with too much detergents (we did have that problem last winter). So I really appreciate the suggestions to mix the soap with water, shake it, and use it in a pump dispenser! I never would have thought of that. It is also interesting to hear what brands people use - more J&J than I would have thought, I expected Aveeno and Cetaphil, and there were some brands I hadn't heard of! Thanks a lot, ladies!

As for the "green" concept, I just don't believe we know that much more about the ingredients in green products, and it seems like another marketing angle to me. All these companies try to out-green or be more organic than the others... I prefer to just use less product overall. The pthalate research is inconclusive to date... I believe we have to choose our battles and I worry more about what my family ingests than what baby soap we use. I don't want the cheapest chemical junk, but somewhere in the middle between that and totally expensive still chemical stuff. Moderation is my goal.

S.,

You can not use this for shampoo, but my doctor told me the best soap for children is Dove. I have use it since my son was an infant (he is 2 yrs old now) and he has beautiful, soft skin. I use it myself and it is fairly cheap when bought in bar form.

We go through a lot of soap too but I have been refilling my foaming soap and shampoo dispensers (Kandoo and Huggies) for over a year now. I think the formula is two tablespoons of soap and fill the rest of the dispenser with water and shake. This works with most clear soaps.

Even if we go through a whole bottle in a month it still is only a tiny bit of actual soap so it saves a ton of money. It's a lot more fun too!

We are very economical about our son's soap. We mix it up. He uses sesame street and also Lush brand products as these are very close to organic.

I realize I am posting this after the fact and what caught my eye was how you feel about "green". Green is different that 'organic'. You should be able to pronounce and recognize the ingredients in the product if is it safe for all (environment, body, etc.). Products at Lush are actually Vegan (all vegetable and plant based.) with only the safe preservatives found in cosmetics that have been used for years. The products also have a shorter shelf-life of about a year or less depending on your purchase.

You can go 'green' and still know that the product you are purchasing is safe. Especially if you are very familiar with essential oils, carrier bases (oils and soaps) and all the latin words they are printed under. Just know that some brands claim organic and are not. It still is a buyer-beware market but that is what is so wonderful about hearing from others about their experiences with products.

After reading some responses from another:
Some plants can be toxic, but did you know that what you put on your skin also is absorbed into your blood stream? In a few of my classes on essential oils: 'Never put anything on your skin you could not or would not eat'; soap and cosmetic products included.

Hi S.!
I agree with Ann H. with alot of things. I use Aveda Shampure for my kids hair and body. My hubby and I also use the same shampoo and it works great!

The Shampure from Aveda is not labled "tear free" but the kids have never fussed even if they accidentally get it in their eyes!

I use regular baby wash for my two kids (3 and 7 months), but with my 3YO, I mix the baby wash with water in an empty foaming soap dispenser from Bath & Body Works. I add a quarter size amount of baby wash to the dispenser, then fill it up the rest of the way with water. Then I let my 3YO shake it up to mix it, and it comes out foaming. A little bit in the dispenser mixed with water goes a long way! If you don't have any of those dispensers around, I think Target sells foaming soap in the same kind of dispensers. I will say that I have tried this with the Johnson's Buddies Foaming Soap/Hair and Body Wash dispenser and it kept getting stuck, so that didn't work well. :(

S.,
My boys all had sensitive skin and when I would put soap in the tub on a regular basis they would get dry itchy skin and sometimes get red irritated itchy patches. What I would do (especially in the wintertime) was put some food coloring in an empty shampoo bottle and fill it up with water. That seemed to entertain them, and I would only use ivory bar soap on a washcloth to clean the really dirty areas. You would be amazed but actually the water does most of the cleaning-not the soap!

S.,

We use California Baby body wash/shampoo. I use "Super Sensitive" for my son who has lots of allergies. It is expensive but you can buy a huge bottle.

Hi, I didn't read all the answers, but I will tell you what we use for our oldest boy. It is Johnson's Buddies easy grip sudzing bar. It says it lasts twice as long as regular soaps, and it does! It is a bar of soap with a non-slip grip and the grippy thing makes it sud a lot, thus saving soap. We pay abouot 97cents for one bar and lasts us a couple of months. Plus it teaches them how to wash themselves with less slipping! It is great! We buy it at Meijer near the kids shampoo. Hope it helps. Oh, I don't know if it is tear free, but most Johnson's products are, we have not had any problems.
p.s. my neighbor uses the bars for her kids as handsoap, we use foaming. I can see her logic though! :)

1 / 3