Best Age to Wean from Pacifier??

What is the best age to wean from the pacifier? My son is 8 months old. He uses it at night and while in the car only. Should I think about taking it away now? Should I wait till 18 months? Should I wait till age 3?

Both of my kids (one girl, one boy) were off the "binky" between 10-11 months. The longer you wait the harder it gets!

My son Coale is almost 20 months old and still wont go down at night without it. The doctor told me it is ok unitl he has all of his teeth. Every one else said he will give it up on his own eventually?????? Good luck I am right there with ya!

Start NOW by just letting him have it at night ONLY! And then slowly wean it. As you probably know, as I see you other kids, the longer you wait the harder it is on them and you to get rid of it.
I have a friend who has a 3yr old that still has his! The poor thing is going to be traumatized by the time she finally gets going on getting rid of the thing. He is completely addicted to it.

That was about the age when I weaned all three of my kids from the pacifier (8 months). It was hard at first. I found I was using the pacifier instead of meeting the real need (like feeding or changing a diaper right that second). So really, it was I that needed to be weaned from the pacifier. None of the kids seemed to notice.

Since your son only uses it at night and in the car, what is the problem? It isn't like he is walking around with it all day long. My daughter is 13.5 months old and uses hers for naps and bedtime. I only let her have it in the car if we are going on an extended drive and I know she is tired and will fall asleep. But then not even all the time. She asks for it during the day, but I remind her it is for bedtime and naptime.

That being said, I've done some research as well, and most dentists will say that paci use WILL NOT harm the teeth if they are rid of it by the time their permanent teeth come in, which is around 6 or 7. So really, the thought that it is going to permanently deform their teeth isn't true. Also, if you take the paci away and they REALLY want something to suck ... they WILL find something ... like a thumb, which has a greater potential for doing damage.

My sister is 12 years younger then I am, so I remember her baby years quite well. She was 7 when she gave up her paci on her own. Now, she didn't use it every day at that point ... but when she was hurt or sad or needed comfort she had it. I think she was around 4 or 5 when she stopped taking it every night. Now I know... I can almost hear the gasps and such resonating through the online community as others read this. HOW could my mother let her have it so long. Simple... it gave her comfort and she only had it in her room.

Now, she is 23 years old, going to graduate from UofM in December with her Masters degree, spoke at her undergraduate graduation ceremony, is married and is a healthy, wonderful, contributing to society lovely individual, with no speach impairment.

I seriously do not understand the phobia so many people have with letting their kids have a source of comfort.

Hi C.~
Don't stress, and do go with your gut. Everyone has different opinions and you can't get away from that. But with my personal experience, my girls never got overly attached (done with it before age 1, I think.)- I don't know if it was more just how they were, or something I did. I always tried to make a point of casually just taking it out of their mouth during times I could tell it wouldn't bother them much- while playing, or when I could tell they were in a good mood, etc. I know this may not apply to you since it's only in the car and at night, but maybe! Also, I did the same thing at night sometimes, too... when they were sleeping I would take it out- if it was just 'hanging' there and there was no suction with their mouth. I know some kids wake up and cry for it; I didn't have an issue with that (probably just got lucky? who knows.) Now my baby boy has a pacifier and I plan to try the same thing when he gets older as well. You may have heard of the idea to cut the tip of the nipple off- I would maybe try that. But your son is still young...it's good to think about how you may want to wean him from it so you are prepared, but you never know, he may choose to do it on his own as well : - ) Good luck!

My opinion is to take a pacifier away before teeth grow in. But since you are past that point. Take it away now. The sooner the better. The longer you wait the more dependent and the more of a fight will be to take it away. Not to mention some kids end up with speech impairment from using one all the time and trying to talk around it. Good luck to you. Taking a way a pacifier is not fun and for like three days the whining will take a toll.

I agree that earlier is better. I have 3 children, and the first two had nothing to do with it, the third however, loves her pacifier. She is 15 months old now, and last month I started not letting her have it when we went out in public. (I also can't stand to see a little kid with a pacifier, trying to talk, or not doing so because of it). after a week of that, no pacifier in the house,except to sleep. She has gone right along with it so far, she was maybe a little cranky the first two days, but not devestated by any means. Now I need to take the last step and get rid of it all together...I hope it goes as well as the rest of it has so far. But to answer your quest, sooner is going to be better...for everyone. Good luck!

I took my son's pacifier away right around 7-8 months. He seemed okay with it and I was so relieved. Taking it away early I think helped prevent a thumb sucker too.

I stopped it at a year and he barely noticed. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. Good luck!! :)

1 / 3