Best age to switch my toddler to a toddler bed?

At what age should I switch my toddler to a toddler bed? Until what age should she stay in her toddler bed?

Summary

There is no set age, but as others have said, it's usually time when they start climbing out of their crib.

When he or she starts climbing out of the crib...around 2 o so. However, Inever had a toddler bed for my children...we went right to a twin and it was great...can get bed railings if needed.

Most of my mom friends and I all agree when they are old enough to climb out of the crib it's time for a toddler bed. This is because of the injury they might endure from a fall.

We kept our daughter in a crib until she was almost 3.5. This may seem odd, but 1) she loved her crib, 2) her baby sister was in a crib in the same room, and 3) it had never occured to her to climb out. In fact, it was her decision to switch to her toddler bed. She asked for a big girl bed like one of her friends right after Christmas, and so we made the switch. Because it was her decision, she was really excited about it. We made a big deal, took pictures, etc. Because she was a 'big girl' now, she made her own rules for the bed. No more blankie, no more sippy cup, no more singing (she used to sing herself to sleep). I had heard so many nightmare stories from my friends about their kids getting up & out of their beds. We are on day 30 and our daughter hasn't been up in the night once! Best of luck!

The best way to know your toddler is ready for a toddler bed, besides them climbing out of the crib, is to try it. When my daughter was about 20 months we broke her crib down into her toddler bed and tried it. She climbed out during naps, and bed time nad in the middle of the night went roaming..obviously it was too early and she wasnt ready. So we let it go for a while and kept up with her crib. She is 28 months old now nad fully potty trained and wakes up at night to go potty so we figure try again. This time she is doing GREAT. She goes down for her naps and bed time without climbing out, and now she can even get out of bed in the middle of the night to go potty. It's great. So if you think your child is ready, try it. The worst that happens is that your child isnt ready and back to the crib they go. Try again in a few more months nad see. Just make sure you have gates up to keep her out of dangerous areas in case she gets out of bed in the middle of the night while your sleeping. Good luck.

Hi A. I put my 3 older children in toddler beds when they turned 2. They stayed in that bed until they were 4.It worked good for them.

There is no set age, but as others have said, it's usually time when they start climbing out of their crib. My twins (now 4 1/2) were in their cribs until around age 3. We figured it was best to use the cribs as long as possible, but finally my daughter started climbing out, and we thought it would be dangerous if she fell out or got her legs stuck, so we lowered the side of the crib down to make it easier for her to get in and out. We also had a gate on their room so they could not come out and wander around unattended, but sooner or later my daughter figured out how to scale the gate also (seemed impossible), so away that went also for safety reasons. Then my son started to get out, so we took the cribs away and put their mattresses on the floor. That worked okay for a while, but they got up a lot because it was so easy. We decided not to buy toddler beds because people said you don't use them for that long, and our cribs were not convertible, so eventually we just bought twin beds and bed rails and that worked out just fine. Good luck.

My poor daughter had no chance to enjoy her 4 in 1 crib. When I had her younger sister, she at that time was 17 months ... she went straight to a queen bed. But man oh man she loves her bed. I took out the frame, so it lays on the floor of her bedroom and that way if she falls, she wont hurt herself.

But I would say when she starts climbing out of her crib is the best time.

I would keep them in a crib as long as possible. Once they are in a toddler bed it is almost impossible to keep them in bed. I know some people who put a crib tent over the crib so the kids cant climb out.

1 / 3