Bento Boxes? Other Lunchbox Choices?

Hello Ladies,
With school approaching I was thinking of investing in some different lunch boxes. I'm a bit tired of using a TON of ziplock bags every day - three kids, and it seems everything I put in them is in a baggie, because I buy in bulk and repackage. Do you have any systems that you like? I want easy to clean, and something that will keep the stuff from getting smooshed! I'd even pack their milk for lunch if it was easy and could be kept cold.

They always get a sandwich on wheat bread, so one of the containers must accommodate a sandwich. The bento boxes I started looking at did not appear to have a container large enough - which seems really silly to me. Maybe I just didnt look long enough. The other containers don't matter too much - carrots, cherry tomatoes, pretzels, cut up apple - those things will fit most anywhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm loving the look/features of the "Planetbox". I don't like washing dishes, and having one solid piece to rinse out each day instead of 4 different containers and lids (x 3 kids) is a real plus to me. They are pricey though - have any of you actually used them? Do they keep the food separated well? Thanks Again for the suggestions.

I took a chance and ordered the "Planetbox" x3 - ouch expensive! I'll be sure to update once we get them and try them out!

9/27 update - We love them. We've used them everyday for 2-3 weeks now. Its faster to prepare the lunches and I havent used a single zip-lock bag in their lunchboxes since. I do have to make sure I wash them and let them air-dry each night, where before I used to just throw all the baggies in the trash, but it doesnt take much time/effort to do that, and its just three things, not a bunch of containers with lids. The kids like them as well. I do wish the cases for them were just a little bigger, I only have one slim ice pack that fits inside, and although I do manage to fit a milk on the inside, and a juicebox in the holder on the outside of the case, its a pretty tight fit. If my kids wait in line to buy their milk they don't have time to eat their lunch! So I try to pack a milk for lunch and juice for snack time. So far no trouble with slightly wet foods spilling into other sections, we've packed pickles, cut kiwi, cut up apples (with a little lemon juice), and grapes and strawberries. Not very juicy stuff and its been fine. Happy with my investment. One more thing - with the wheat bread I buy I do have to cut some of the crust off the sandwich so it will fit. My boys prefer it that way and I feed the crusts to our chickens, so I'm living with that.

Here are my favorites!!

www.laptoplunches.com/

http://gogreenlunchbox.com

http://www.easylunchboxes.com/

www.planetbox.com/

You could also use a reusable lunch box or sack, with reusable fabric baggies. There are so many out there to choose from! This is the only brand I've used, though:

http://www.snacktaxi.com/store/

Here are my favorites!!

www.laptoplunches.com/

http://gogreenlunchbox.com

http://www.easylunchboxes.com/

www.planetbox.com/

http://www.snacktaxi.com/store/

I read that you have selected a system. In case you want to check out others. Look @ Laptop lunches. They offer a great selection. Plus they are BPA free plastic. They have a thermos and and cover for the system.
They can be found locally. www.laptoplunches.com.
Hope that helps.

www.goodbyn.com: Goodbyn Lunchboxes

D.,
I did not see your original post and I have not used Planetbox, but I have used all-in-one type containers like it. While it is cute and convenient to buy a bento set or all-in-one, I have not found either to be great for school. Your kids might be different and perhaps the all-in-one style I had was not great, but something to consider is that if you pack something more strongly scented than other items, everything will smell like it (tuna fish, liverwurst, eggs,....) or if you have something really moist it can make chips or cookies soggy. Also, I over pack my son's lunch so he can have a little selection at lunch. As such, I was always throwing food away from the all-in-one. I currently use a regular insulated lunchbox of his choosing (last year it was a cool retro tin lunchbox) with several individual plastic/stainless containers of various sizes. This way, if he does not eat his chips or fruit one day, I simply put the unopened container in the lunch again the next day. I know the individual stuff seems like more work, but in the end it seemed to be just a little more effort than the single piece. In any case, it would be great to have a follow-up on what you chose and how you liked it.

I see you asked a couple more questions. What about using zipploc baggies for carrots or other fruit/veggies. I have even seen some reusable ones on etsy.com. not sure if you can wash them in the dishwasher or not. but worth the look. my kids arent old enough but i bought a few cute containers for the hubbys lunches...he never remembers to bring them home!!!

Tupperware sandwich keeper. Here's a link but also check out amazon and ebay as I'm sure there are some there. May be cheaper.
http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_www/tup_show_item....

I haven't looked for these things yet, but have you looked at Tupperware? I know my mom always had Tupperware containers. They have some for sandwiches. I'm sure they have lunch sets for kids!

My son has the LLBean Lunchbox. It has a lot of usable space, holds a lot but still not too big and still squishes to fit in his backpack or can attach it to a backpack if I want. Target has these really nice little plastic sandwich containers for the sandwiches. And I know this sounds cheap but I don't buy the other containers but you know the containers for sides that come from Boston Market or Chicken out I reuse those. The bigger ones are a perfect size for like a serving of chips or cut up fruit (apples, strawberries, peppers) and the smaller ones are good for small fruit like grapes and stuff and dry cereal. They are diswasher safe, microwaveable, and many times reuseable and the lid is perfectly easy to open. I shop Costco and always shop in bulk too and this works perfectly. Oh, and the LLBean lunchbox you can put in the washing machine and still looks great. Done it twice because he's left his lunchbox at school over holiday weekends with stuff going bad and i couldn't get the stench out. LOL. But it usually just wipes down nicely with a rag. I also put a thermos with milk in it for lunch too and its stays cool, not fridge cold but cool enough so he still likes it.

1 / 3