Belly Is Measuring Smaller than Expected

Hello~

I am 34 weeks pregnant and was told by my doctor that I have been measuring smaller that I should. Usually by 2-3 inches. He sent me to another ultra sound to get the measurment of how she is growing and I was told everything is normal. I am a very petti 5 feet and weighing at 140lbs today. I have been told that my belly is really small and that really scares me too. I am afraid something is wrong with the baby. Has anybody had this issue or am I just getting nervous?

I remember being told by the doctor that my belly was 2" too small when I was pregnant with my daughter. It was scary to hear that. She was (and still is) perfect. We did another ultrasound and she was just uniformly small. She was 6lbs 5oz and it made the birth easy.
Best wishes.

I had the same thing happen with both of my kids. Dr. told me that the baby could just be moving lower in to the pelvis. Everything also looked good on ultrasound and both of my kids were born on time and very plump

Best wishes

Do not worry the same thing happened to me with all my 4 children . They are all happy and health! good Luck!!

Congratulations on your baby! Belly sizes during pregnancy are different for everyone. It depends on your body type, how you are carrying the baby, etc.. If the ultra sound came back and said that your baby was healthy and everything looked normal then please do not be scared. The ultra sound techs know what they are doing.

6 weeks left to go! Good for you.
Be well, be happy and love your precious gift.
~M.

Best wishes.

The measurement of your belly has absolutely nothing to do with whether your baby is doing alright or not! It is influenced by your built and more or less bodyfat can make it difficult to measure the fundus correctly.
If the measurement is WAY off, it's a good idea to have an U/S to check for too much or too little fluid, multiples (earlier in the pregnancy) or uterine growths like fibroids - but it generally says very little about the size of the baby.
I am very surprised your doctor made a big issue out of it - you should talk to him again about your concerns. And since the U/S was fine, you can stop worrying.

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

The same thing happened to me too - seems pretty common from all the posts on here! At 34 wks I was measuring small, I totally freaked but the ultrasound was fine and 6 + weeks later out came a perfectly healthy 7 lb 8 oz baby boy. It could be that her head is already engaging in your pelvis or her legs are curled up or the way that you're carrying her. Don't rely on medicine to be an exact science. Also, your baby is still growing in there and you / her will probably gain some more in the coming weeks. Given my height I was on pretty similar weight track too, it just means less to lose afterward ; )

I know it's hard, but try not to worry!

I think your doctor should be more encouraging and is probably just running extra tests. During the lasts weeks of pregnancy, I asked everyone to just "pray" for a happy, healthy baby. And really, all the cute clothes and the matching decor mean nothing. All you want is to meet your beautiful baby. So just focus on meeting her and how strong you are and how well you are going to do in labor. Trust your intuition, you're going to be using it a lot over the next 18 years! If you feel that baby is the right size for your body and you are eating well and not scrimping on portions or worrying about your weight, then you and baby are going to come thru with flying colors. Just make sure you have plenty of food on hand for after she arrives and take all the help you can. Good luck and know that all the strength and wisdom of all the mothers in the universe is with you.

Hi H.,
I was small my entire pregnancy and my belly didn't even really pop out until 7 months. My son was almost 8 lbs when he was born so don't worry; looks can be deceiving. All women carry babies differently and it is normal to feel anxiety about your baby's health in the womb. If you've had the ulrasound then relax and be happy you look small!
; )
Kitty

Hi!
Exact same thing happened to me with my second child (I am 5'2" and on my delivery day I weighed 132). Every ultrasound I had - the doctor sent me once a month - yielded normal results...turns out I was just all baby because my son was born two days after his due date and was a healthy 9 pounds.

I know how you are feeling, I hope that this helps!

*K

The same exact thing happened to me. I was around 33-34 weeks and was measuring smaller than expected. (I'm also small--about 5 ft. 2 in.) So, they sent me in to get an ultrasound and everything was fine. People did keep telling me I looked small, which annoyed me. Anyway, I had Evan 3 days late, he weighed 6 lbs 8 oz and was perfectly normal. Now, I have a beautiful 4 month old. I know what you feel like, I was worried about everything too, still am. I hope it helps to hear other people's experiences. Good luck!

1 / 3