Being Induced at 32 Weeks and I Have a Couple of questions....THANKS in ADVANCE

I'm being induced at 32 weeks pregnant on Dec 25 2010 I have a couple of questions??::

1. Will he have to stay in the hospital? If so how long?
2. Will he have any problems learning..seeing..talking..walking?
3.I'm having the baby shower on Nov 13 should I put his size as preemie or should just put regular?
4.What would I need anything special like a specific car seat stroller because he will be so small?
5. Is it harder to care for a preemie then a regular baby?
6. Do I have to breast feed more with a preemie then with a regular baby?
Is there anything else that I should know about having a baby at 32 weeks
Thank u so much in advance I'm only 18 and idk why but I'm scared to ask my doc these question I'm afraid she might look at me like an air head. I want to be able to bring him home right away but I have a feeling that's not going to happen I have been given pill to take to help develop his major organs. I'm getting induced because I have leukemia and hyperactive thyroids but when I got pregnant I was in remission. I have spoken to her about trying to hold him in as long as possible but she tells me that that's the longest she thinks I can hold out. Also what are the odds of my son having thyroids his grandmother from his dads side has hypo and I have hyper? Thanks again

I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to let you know that I think that those are all very smart questions to ask. I believe that asking questions shows your intelligence and desire to be an active and responsible parent. I went to my OB with a list of questions often. And now I go to the pediatrician with a list of questions.

Everyone has given you graet info so I only want to add one thing. My son was born at 32 weeks and as someone else said, he had not yet developed the breathe, suck, swallow instinct and therefore was fed through a tube at the beginning. I pumped milk and they used that in the tube and i also gave it to him when they told me we could start with the bottle. In my case my son never took to the breast and I ended up pumping for a year. I chose to not push the breast because I wanted him home so bad, but that is just one case, so I'm not saying it will happen, just that it did to me. Take advantage of the lactation consultant at the hospital. My son ended up being in the NICU a little over 2 weeks and he was a 'big' preemie as he was born 5lbs.
Praying for the best for both you and your baby

Hi again. I responded to your first question as well. Our daughter was born at 35 weeks and was 4 lbs 9 oz. She seemed so tiny, but since she was our first it was also "normal" for us and we didn't think a thing about caring for her being any different.

Staying in the hospital will depend on the baby. Most likely yes. Our daughter was in NICU at first. We were told to expect the full five weeks until her due date, but she was strong and had other ideas. She only needed to stay for 10 days.

She has had no problems with any learning and goals! She is actually ahead of many her age.

I would ask for some preemie, but also explain that you would like a mix. Our daughter was so small and born just before halloween that her first costume (NICU had a costume contest) and her christmas dress were both doll outfits from a stuff a bear place in the mall. I am saving them for her later.

We didn't have specific car seats and such. We had bought them all before we found out she would be early. We used rolled up baby blankets to help with fit and keep her cozy. I've seen other moms do the same with full term babies. It worked just fine for us.

The care is the same. They will be just a bit smaller. But, like I said, since she was our first it seemed normal for us.

We had a hard time breast feeding. Her mouth was so tiny and she just didn't want to do it. (She is very strong willed-apparently that started early-lol). I pumped for six weeks, went to a nursing specialist and everything. We still had to supplement with formula, so after 6 weeks (to give her my immunities) then we went to formula. It had just become too hard to pump then feed, then pump again all day. I was spending more time pumping that taking care of her and I simply wouldn't allow anything to come before her. It was a very difficult decision, but it was what worked out best for us.

Good luck with everything! It will be a wonderful experience.

It seems you are having quite a high risk pregnancy and you really should sit down with your doctor and have her fill you in on all these unknowns. My first baby was born still at 27 weeks and I had some blood clotting disorders so I knew early on that in my subsequent pregnancies, I would be induced at 36 weeks. My doctor didn't like to talk about it too much with me early in the pregnancy because I think she was nervous to jinx anything. It wasn't until about 26 weeks that we started talking about what was going to happen around delivery time. 36 weeks and 32 weeks are much different. My babies (a singleton and then twins) did not have to stay in the NICU (well, 2 nights for low blood sugar... unrelated to prematurity). A 32 week baby is defintely a preemie, but not a "micropreemie". I have had many friends (scarily enough) with babies born before 30 weeks. The children are all thriving now... It's hard to predict what complications, if any, might arise. But you should get a tour of the NICU before you deliver and I'm sure by then, you'll know exactly what to expect.

Good luck with everything...

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor anything! She knows you're 18 and have never been through this before. How are you supposed to know any of this? Also, who cares what she thinks? It's her JOB to care for you during pregnancy and delivery -- and that includes answering your questions -- and after that you never have to see her again!

1. Will he have to stay in the hospital? If so how long? Yes, the baby will be in the NICU. The earliest babies are usually discharged from the NICU is 34-35 weeks' equivalent, but often it's longer. It all depends on how he does.

2. Will he have any problems learning..seeing..talking..walking? Preemies have a higher incidence of problems than full term babies, but by 32 weeks, he should be okay. In my mind, getting to 32 weeks was the biggest milestone; after that, I really felt like the baby would do fine. Btw, I have a cousin who was born at 27 weeks (and that was 25ish years ago, when the technologies weren't nearly as good as todays'!) and she's perfectly healthy and smart.

3.I'm having the baby shower on Nov 13 should I put his size as preemie or should just put regular? It's up to you. He'll be in preemie sizes for a while, then in newborn and so forth. We got a variety of sizes at our baby shower, which was good, since they grow so quickly in the beginning. I do laundry every couple of days, so honestly I found I don't need that many clothes. Also (unsolicited advice), I didn't register for ANY clothes, but we still were given a ton. If it were me, I would register only for non-clothing items so that hopefully some people will give you those, because I find people give clothes whether you register for them or not.

4.What would I need anything special like a specific car seat stroller because he will be so small? Infant seats start fitting at 5 lbs and he may well be that size before he's released. The NICU staff will surely be able to give you good advice, and you'll have time to buy anything you need before you take him home. I would NOT start with a convertible car seat, though, since those don't fit many full-term newborns well.

5. Is it harder to care for a preemie then a regular baby? Every baby is different! Unless a baby has medical issues, which can make caring for them harder, it just depends on his personality!

6. Do I have to breast feed more with a preemie then with a regular baby? I'm not sure. In the beginning, you will probably have to pump breastmilk and it can be fed to him (generally suck/swallow/breathe isn't coordinated until about 34 weeks). The NICU staff will guide and help you transition to breastfeeding and they will be able to answer any questions you have. Also, please request a visit from the hospital's lactation consultant -- they are the experts about breastfeeding Breastfeeding often isn't easy and doesn't come as naturally as many people expect, but it's such a great gift you can give your son (especially as a preemie!), and the lactation consultants are a huge help in teaching you to get a good latch, making it less painful in the beginning (it isn't comfortable to start out with, but it gets better quickly, I promise!).

My son was induced at about 36 weeks. I'll do my best to help you out.
1. I was given 'cervidil' the night before inducement. The next morning the dr. broke my waters and gave me petocin (a drug to induce labor). All day long I sat in bed and waited to dialate to a ten. By 5pm I hadn't dialated past a 5, so they called it "failure to dialate" and they had to do a C-csection. I think b/c of the c-section, I was in the hospital that night, the next day, then went home around lunchtime the 3rd day. (so only spent 2 nights in the hospital). This is fine, as the nurses can wheel baby out to the nursery for you and you can get some sleep at night. You can tell them you want to nurse baby every 2 hours and they'll wheel baby in and wake you up. The best sleep you'll get. Stay in the hospital as long as you can, I say.

2. My son was born 5 lb 13 oz, so quite small. He has had absolutely NO problems learning or growing. I am a petite gal, so he is small for his age, but has no developmental problems whatsoever. My friend had a baby 2 months early (30 weeks?) same exact time as me and her son is taller than my almost full term baby. From what I know about development in-utero, the lungs are the last organs to develop, so your baby might be more likely to have asthma or breathing issues as opposed to seeing/learning/walking issues.

3. I'd get just normal 0-3 month clothes. My son got a couple of preemie outfits and he grew too fast to really wear them. The biggest issue I had with my tiny one was pajamas -- they were swallowing him! So get a few preemie footed pajamas.

4. Perhaps you'll need an extra head support for your car seat. If you can afford it or register for it, get a stroller that lets the car seat snap into it.

5. I don't think there's any difference in caring for a preemie than a regular baby. Like I said earlier, you watch out for their breathing and I'd for sure keep baby on their back due to SIDS. I hear SIDS affects babies with preexisting issues.

6. I don't know that one. I don't see why they'd nurse more. Depends on the kid. I know some babies that nurse a few minutes often. Some that nurse a ton but not as often. When babies are born, their stomachs are the size of a large marble. Your son might have one the size of a small marble, so might not nurse as long, but yes - often.

And the DR will not think you are stupid for asking questions. ASK - that's what they're paid for. And if you are concerned with inducing this early, get a second opinion if you can afford it. We did with our son. We went to a specialist for a second opinion and felt better about the whole situation after getting it.

G.,
I second all the other moms. Those are great questions that you should ask your doctor and then who ever you decide on for the pediatrician. Never feel like any question is dumb; I am about 20 years older than you are and would likely have a lot of the same questions. Good luck to you. You sound like a very sweet mom to be.

Please, please, please talk to your doctor. If you have a good one, then he/she wants to answer your questions and make sure you are as comfortable as possible with caring for yourself and for your child. I guarantee that she has heard these questions before and will not think you are an airhead - she will think that you are a thoughtful, caring mother who wants to be prepared so she can do the best for her baby.
Best of luck to you and your son.

1 / 3