Beer and Pregnant Mommies

Is it OK to have like the occasional beer when you are pregnant? As in once or twice during the whole pregnancy?

Thank You Moms!! I actually asked this, because we are having a BBQ today and since it is really hot out here, my husband got some beers, and I was seriously thinking about having one, but I'd never had a drink before (during pregnancy) and I wasn't really sure about it, and I agree one might not affect my child, but why do it? I just had a little sip in order to put the "craving" out of my system and everything else was really cold lemonade. Thank You all for your input!.

My cousins both have severe fetal alcohol, and have a hard time getting by in life because of it. I would never risk it just to taste something I know i can have plenty of later, when I am not forcing it on my unborn child.

So many different opinions.....
I personally think one beer VERY sparingly is okay towards the end. With that said, if it's the taste you miss, which would be the only reason to even have one at this point, go for a non-alcoholic beer. Still just have one though. I often find myself wanting a beer, just one. But always felt guilty so I never do it. I have had an O'douls though. And it was nice to sip on one, and not feel guilty.

I may be in the minority here, but I think it is fine. You are not going out and getting smashed every day (or even once while pregnant)! We are talking about 1 beer...I don't think you have anything to worry about. Once I got to the 3rd trimester I occasionally had a 1/2 glass of wine.

I like to have wine with dinner (when I'm not preggo), so when I am preggo I get sparkling water and drink it from a wine glass hahahaha! Maybe you can get some non alcoholic beer or some other type of drink and drink it from a frosty mug!

If you do decide to have that beer...sip it so you can savor every taste!

My family is European so I guess I have a different take on this. The way I was raised it is absolutely socially and physically acceptable to have an occasional alcoholic beverage when pregnant. I have NEVER heard of a baby getting fetal alcohol syndrome from a couple of drinks throughout an entire pregnancy. I understand that US professionals are still unsure as to what a safe level of alcohol is but I have still yet to hear of someone, even through the grapevine, who's child has FAS or FAE from occasional, mild alcohol use. Overseas it is not unusual for women to drink a glass of wine with dinner at least once a week. So, I guess I really wouldn't worry about it. Eat well, drink lots of water, relax and have a blessed pregnancy!

When I was conceived, my mother was advised to have a glass of wine a week while pregnant! Then, the experts leaned in another direction and said absolutely not! No one knows the exact amount of alcohol that causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which is the reason doctors are cautious. However, the one-drink-a-week rule still applies in much of Europe, and one recent study done in Europe found that the children of mothers who drank a glass of wine every couple of weeks when pregnant actually scored better on vocabulary tests than those of mothers who abstained completely. Weird, right? I wonder if anyone has been able to duplicate that study.

My OB told me a couple of sips - in moderation - was fine. Some friends' OBs told them absolutely not. I would talk to your doctor and do what is comfortable to you. However, I do think the general consensus is that you should abstain in the first trimester, and drinking in general is not good for the baby. Good luck.

I didn't read through ALL your responses and I know you've already taken care of your craving ;) But I wanted to say, I'm pretty shocked at how much women DON'T know about alcohol and pregnancy. It is just fine to have a beer or a glass of wine (red wine is great for your heart!). A beer while nursing is okay too... it helps your milk come in, helps you relax. I'm talking like ONE drink, not a few. I'm glad you got to enjoy your BBQ last night! Rest easy mama, you did fine :) Best wishes!

As a student midwife, one of the things you learn is that when pregnant, red wine and dark ales are good for your uterus. They tone the muscle and calm them preventing you from going into early labor.

No alcohol in the first trimester, but after that, you may have one dark ale (hoppy type) or 4oz of red wine.

I wouldn't think one beer would hurt but who knows for sure? Is a beer or two worth the risk?

My doctor said (and I've read numerous places) having a glass of wine or beer on occassion while in your last trimester is perfectly fine.

So many different opinions.....

My first response would be yes, but then again I've never taken a drink during a pregnancy. However, pretty much everything isn't in the "safe" category during pregnancy but I know many women who drank during their entire pregnancy and had beautiful healthy babies.

I recently vacationed with my husband and after a long exhausting day was very tempted to down my husbands margarita, LOL, but I held off and knew it would only make me sleepy, which I'm already tired enough and knew the guilt would get to me more over the pleasure of the drink.

I'm sure you could ask your OB and get a direct answer, I think they would tell you an occasional drink will not hurt the baby and it's also better to wait until second trimester starts before taking or drinking anything.

P.S. I recently seen a lady walking into Albertsons who was at least 8 mnths pregnant finishing off her cigarette as she walked into the store. I was shocked that someone (this day and age) would so obviously smoke during pregnancy. That to me would be worst than an occasional drink but again, that's just my opinion and of course I'm no doctor but congrats to you and good luck!

1 / 3