Bedwetting and 'Shock Garments'

my 5 year old was a late bloomer with regard to daytime potty training. she is a heavy sleeper and cannot wake in the night to pee. we have tried everything from limiting water before bed, using potty before bed, waking her to pee in the night, alarm clock. Has anyone used the shock garments and if so, did they work?

Hi Gals;
thank you so much for all your wonderful responses! As it turns out, the problem continues, but there has been a change. My daughter is now waking at 4-5am with a wet bed instead of 12-1am. sometimes I put her in a pullup and sometimes not. i let her decide. i never shame her for wetting the bed. i now see that it is just her bladder development and that in time she will be able to make it through the night. thanks again for all of your sharing!

My son wet his bed for years. It runs in my side of the family. Actually, you just have to wait until their body is big enough to let their brain know. We tried everything too. My doctor suggested medication and I was very hesitant. I tried the "potty pager" which I got from the internet. It is a senor that the child puts in their underwear and then you pin the pager to their pj's. As the sensor gets wet, the pager goes off to awaken them to get up to go to the bathroom. Usually it woke me up so I helped my son after that. For us, it took a combination of the medication and the potty pager. Good luck!

Our oldest son had problems with bedwetting. Like most of your responders we tried alot of things like limiting fluid intake at night, rewards, sticker charts, etc. We realized that our son was just a very heavy sleeper. We finally talked to our pediatrician about it and she suggested a potty alarm. I also want to mention that she said that you should not be overly concerned until after they are 6. The one that we got just clips to the underwear and has a cord that runs up their shirt and the "pager" clips to their shirt. It vibrated and it cycled through 8 different alarm sounds. With most of these types of alarms they do suggest that the parents need to be involved with the process. When the alarm goes off you must get out of bed and physically wake/help your child to the bathroom. It is a pain but it works. It took a couple of weeks and he was "cured". Here is a link to the alarm we have. http://www.bedwettingstore.com/Bedwetting_Alarms/malem_ul...#

My daughter too was a bed wetter and an extremely heavy sleeper. I took her to the Dr. when she was about 5 and they said there was a "shock thing" that we could try but that usually they will outgrow it by age 8. Sure enough she did...all of a sudden she quit wetting the bed after she started Kindergarten and she still is a heavy sleeper. Not sure how that happens. I know it is a pain and all but I also heard that shock system is kind of weird too. Back when I checked into it I was told it hooked to the underwear and when the child would start to go this really loud alarm would go off and wake them up to remind them to go. I don't know it would probably scare them and myself to death. Plus, my daughter would sleep thru the alarm. I would just put her in big girl night pants for now and wait to see if she stops on her own. I have a friend whos son is 8 and still wets the bed at night..there Dr. told them to just wait it out and that it is completely normal. Sorry that I didn't really answer your question.

Bedwetting usually is a physical problem. Chiropractic adjustments is a huge solver of this problem.
G. CMD

I was a bed wetter until I was 12 yrs old. It was very traumatic to have to go to school and know that there was a faint pee odor on my skin. Each night I went to bed fearful that I would 'fail' by morning. It was very frustrating and I felt powerless.
All of the gimmicks my mother tried were just adding insult to injury.

Eventually my mother took me to see a chiropracter. The Doctor said that my lower back was a little out, the muscles were a bit tight which would put pressure on the nerves. The signal from my bladder wasn't getting through at night when I was sound asleep. (I also was a heavy sleeper, I always woke up groggy and tired)
After the first session, I went home that night and woke up the next morning dry. It was the first time I had ever remebered waking up dry. It was complete shock.
I went for two more appointments and had no problems since.

Whether it was psycho-somatic or actually a real cure, it worked and it changed my life.

Before you unintentionally punish your daughter and disrupt her sleep with this device, try an alterior option, such as accu-pressure, chiropractic's, homeopathy....something that might help identify WHY she isn't waking in the night....I assure you it isn't because she enjoys waking up each night, FREEZING, lying in a puddle of her own piss.
It's a lot of laundry but never punish her, just put a plastic cover over the mattress, support her emotionally and help her to find power over the situation and her body.

J. G.

PS: If she is open to it, put a diaper on her at night. Explain that it is NOT a baby thing, that even adults use them sometimes when their bodies aren't cooperating....that it is just a pre-caustionary measure to help her, her sheets and her blankets to stay dry and that it is ONLY for nighttime.
It may help to alleviate her embarrassment and frustration about waking up drenched and smelling like pee in the morning. Waking up in a warm dry bed may re-inforce getting up to use the restroom in the night and may eventually lead to waking up dry completely on her own.

I'd take her to a chiropractor first and see if you make progress there.

Responding because as a family (3 children and 2 grand children) we have had a lot of experience with the wetting issue and have tried every thing under the sun.
A Dr. specializing in urinary issues reported that my daughter had a small bladder that was not very sensitive at that time and would grow out of the night time wetting as she got older. This held true for the 2 grand children.(for your peace of mind you may want to have a Dr. opinion.)Also you may want to check out homeopathy as an alternative to meds. I did not have access to this amazing alternative at the time.
We discovered the best way to handle the process was to make sure that the child did not feel as though he/she were doing something wrong. We just had to take extra precuations. It was a great day of celebration when the child was dry for days.
We have also discovered that it seemed to be a theme that runs in our family as both grandparents had this issue when young.
I know this puts extra burden on Mom dealing with wet bed clothes and wash. I enrolled the childs help and kept encouraging him/he. We have gotten through it all 5 times with love and great patience.

Good Luck and Blessings
P.

Before you try "shock garments" has she been checked out by a doctor? My brother wet the bed till almost 7 years old, and we found out he had growths on his bladder that would fill up during the day, but weren't a part of the bladder muscle so they wouldn't empty when going to the bathroom. They would empty when he was relaxed and sleeping. Once they were removed, he never had a problem again.

My son is 5.5 yrs. and still wears a night time pull up. He is fine with it and we then don't have to worry about wetting the bed. I am noticing recently that he is having fewer wet diapers - so I think we are almost out of the woods on this one. I have never tried any of the other things - just don't want to give him a complex about it. He did have kidney issues when he was younger and had a specialist say that some kids don't resolve the nightime wetting issue until they are 7-8 yrs old. So, we just use the diapers and everyone is happy! Hope this helps! Good luck!

1 / 3