Bedtime for a Soon to Be 3Rd Grader?

What time does your 8+ year old/soon to be 3rd grader go to bed? Our 2 daughters (5.5 & 8) have been going to be at approximately the same time (8:30 pm) during the school year. My older daughter is now sleeping in abit later in the morning and isn't as tired at 8:30 pm. I feel that I should lighten up abit especially during summer vacation.

I'd love to hear your bedtime routines (summer vs. school year).

Thanks in advance.

My nine year old stays up until 9 or 10. She's a night owl and has trouble getting to sleep at night so we usually let her stay up and read in her room.

My daughter just finished 3rd grade. Her schedule for the year was 9pm on school nights and 10:30pm for non-school nights. But I do have to add that my daughter is ADHD and takes medications and one of the side effects of the meds is insomnia so she can't go to bed any earlier. She lays there for a while till she falls asleep as it is.

We let our nine year old stay up later in the summer. During the school year she is in bed at 8:00 and reads until 8:30. At 8:30 she goes to bed. During the summer she goes to bed closer to 9:00/9:30. We try to make sure she still reads 3 or 4 nights a week. In the summer, we let her play more at night and are not as strict about her reading 30 minutes before bed.

My daughter will be a third grader next year , she is 8. During the school year she went to be at 730pm, read a book until 8pm and ligths out. if we had outdoor activities that day, bedtime was at 7pm and she read until 730pm. she is always up by 6 or 630am.

Now that she is on vacation we let her go to bed at 830pm and read until 9pm (later if we are having movie night). she loves her Harry Potter books so she always wants to read before bedtime. She is thrilled that she goes to bed really late(lol) but still wakes up at 630 or 7am at the latest. she lets us sleep in though, my 1 yer old sleeps until 10am, I wake up at 730 to 8am.

Mine is a tad bit older at 9 1/2, but she goes to bed at 9pm during the school year and 10pm on the weekends/summer vacation. Both of my kids sleep a little later in the morning (9am) and it's great for me! :)
My 9 year old feels special b/c she gets to stay up later than her sister who's 2, and she generally just watches tv from 9-10 or 8-9.

9:00 in the summer - no later than 9:30.

Wow. I think people who put their kids to bed at 7pm are missing out on so much with their kids. We like to watch TV as a family, or just chit-chat, after the homework, activities, supper, baths, etc. I think that time where kids can just relax and hang with their family is very important. I have a 10 and an 8 year old. During the school year, we used to shoot for 8:30. Over the past year, we've bumped it to 9 b/c we were too rushed, and they never wanted to hit the sack that early, esp. when that was a daylight hour! We feel lucky if they go down by 9:30 b/c that way hubby and I get a good hour alone together. During the summer, they stay up later and normally go to bed when we do... around 10 or 10:30. They wake up at 7am during the school year and have been sleeping until 8ish this summer. I love every minute I spend with my kids, and I would NEVER send them to bed when the sun is still up, esp. during the summer, when it is still daylight here at 8:30. Live a little-- have fun-- ENJOY childhood!

Hi Michelle,

My just turned eight year old has a "get ready for bed" time at 8:00. This includes jammies, teeth, books (we both read one or a couple of chapters) and then tuck in. I try to have lights out by 8:30 p.m. She is not a good morning person so I am pretty strict with her bed time.

In the past, during summer, I kind of have thrown bedtime out the window. Unfortunatlely it led to some very lazy and unproductive days. It is my goal this summer to keep to the schedule - maybe extend to 9 or 9:30 upon occassion. I would like to be more active instead of wasting the days away.

I'm going to be the odd man out here. My son is 10, during school year it's 9:00-9:30p (this has been his bed time since around 8 y/o), varies depending on sports or school activities. He gets up btwn 7:00-7:30a depending: if he is riding the bus or if I am taking him. Summer he can stay up as late as he wants, that being said, he ususally goes to sleep around 12:30 - 1:30am unless we have plans the next morning early. If so, I just tell him to go to bed at "said time" and he does. We like to sleep in so this works for our summer schedule.

1 / 3