Bedtime for 2Nd Graders

Hi Moms! I have twins (boy/girl) in second grade and they go to bed at 8 pm every school night (give/take 15 minutes). They seem to get up soooo early (5:30 am this morning), so I'm not sure if it has to do with the time change last week or what. Last year, while I was helping in class during first grade the teacher was talking about clocks and time and asked each of the kids what time they go to bed. I was SHOCKED to hear most of the first graders went to bed at 9 pm or later! Whoa! I truly believe that kids need a lot of sleep in order to function at their best. What time do your second graders (or kids of similar ages) to go bed on school nights?

My daughter is in 3rd grade this year and I still try to get her to bed by 8pm or 8:30pm at the latest. She has to get up by 6:15am. Although my older daughter had requested a 9pm bedtime when she was in 3rd grade. I agreed because she seems to be ok with less sleep. I agree with you that 9pm or later for a 1st or 2nd grader is quite late.

I have a 7 and 10 yr old and they both go to bed at 8:00 to 8:30 but if they are real tired they go at 7:30 now that is is getting dark so early. They were waking up early this last week but is now changing a little as their bodies get used to the new time. Good luck.

My daughter is 6 and in the first grade she goes to bed any where from 7:45 (if she has been sassy and mis behaving) to 8:30.

My 3rd grade twins go upstairs at 7.30 get into PJs, brush teeth and read till 8 then lights out!

My son is now in the 3rd grade, but his time has not changed from last year. His bedtime is 9, but come 8 o clock he is taking his shower and getting ready for bed and usually lays down about 15 to 8 watches a little TV and lights out at 9. I think it all depends on what time the children get up in the morning on school days. My son gets up at between 7:00 and 7:30 am and gets on the bus at 8:25 am, so he is getting 10 hours of sleep a night. On the weekends he will stay up later, but sleeps in too. 9 is the latest he can stay up too in his elementary years. They say young children should get 10 hours of sleep a night.

Our bedtime is 9:00. As they got older (now in 5th and 8th), they still go to be at 9. They are in more sports and activities that makes it impossible to get them to bed any earlier. They all get up at 6. 8:00 was just too early for us and each child is different.

I have a 2nd grader, kindergardener and 5th grader and they all go to bed between 8 and 8:30. I agree I think kids need their sleep, I can tell the next day if mine don't get to bed on time, they are not happy children.

My second and fourth grader go to bed at 8:30. And just this year, my eighth grader started going to bed at 9:30

My boys, ages 3 and 8, go to bed at 7:00 pm. My older one falls asleep within minutes while my little one lays in bed with a book and pretends to read for at least an hour before passing out. If we all didn't have to be up at 6:00 am, I might move the bedtime, but 7:00 is working fine for us!

My kids are all teens, (or nearly teens) 16, 14, 13, and 11, and they all go to be at 9 on school nights. Up until the were 10 they went to bed at 8 pm every night because children need between 10 to 12 hours of sleep. Also... one thing to thing about, parents need the time between the kids bedtime and their bedtime to reconnect with each other and to chill.

1 / 3