Bed Wetting in 9 Year Old

My nine year old son is in the 3rd grade and he still wets the bed almost every night. We have tried everything! A doctor even gave us an antidepressant!!! I do not go to that dr. anymore. There is a family history of it (my husband, his mom). I know I have heard other moms talk about their kids wet the bed and just don't seem to care, well my son just does not seem to care and he has started wetting himself during the day and sometimes he poops on himself. Is this just a phase or should I be worried. Drs. just want to throw medication at it. Has anyone ever tried those alarms for beds or any thing like that?

I am really surprised I got so many responses to my problem! I am very grateful to everyone for their help. My son is reluctant to try anything, especially chiropractic care, but we trying to explain it to him. But, we have tried new things, like: No drinks after certain time, watching what he eats and drinks, wake him up about the time I go to bed to use the bathroom, and I started taking away video games and his gameboy for the daytime wetting. I think that is his major problem, he gets so involved and he forgets to stop and use the bathroom. He also sleeps so deeply he sleeps through wetting the bed. We just have to work and not get lazy (me). Thank you to everybody, I really never thought I would get so many responses. My son does care, I understand that now. I feel like I have a handbook now for my kids and the problems we face daily with this website! It is a God-send!

Hi L.!

Have you ever tried Chiropractic? I am a chiropractor and I have worked with many children that were bed wetters. The nerves that supply the bladder come out of the spine. When areas of the spine are out of place it doesn't allow the nerves to send the correct signal to the brain which results in bed wetting. The good news is that kids respond very quickly to chiropractic care! We tend to see results immediately and after just a few adjustments the condition typically goes away completely. If you are intersted in more information, give me a call - Dr. Sandra S. -###-###-#### or ###-###-####.

My sons doctor told me this was normal with some boys. We tried the alarm but my 10 yr old is such a deep sleeper it didnt work. My oldest son was put on medication for about a month and he has been accident free for 4 yrs.

my son is 7 and still wets bed. but i notice if i cut his drinks off be4 8 he doesn't wet the bed as often

Have you tried a chiropractor? They seem to have great results. A. B.

Hi L.!

My son had this problem growing up. We tried all the usual remedies. Our doctor told us that his bladder was just not all the way developed. He only had accidents when he was asleep. He was ok during the day. My husband would wake him up enough to take him to the bathroom in the middle of the night. His accidents became less and less over the years sometimes going almost a year once in between accidents. Then when he was 11 or twelve, I guess his bladder finished developing and the accidents stopped. We did not have the Good Nights that are out now. That's what I would suggest. You get them in the same section that pullups are in, and they go up to 125 lbs.
It's for older kids at night. If he doesn't want his friends to possibly see them in his room, keep them in your room and have him come in there to get one. It will keep him dry and not have him embarrassed. We did not have trouble during the day, so I don't know if this is part of it. It may just be a phase. Don't give him special attention for it. Try encouraging him when he does good and ignoring him when he messes up during the day. See how that works. Hope this helps.

J. H

I wet the bed until I was 12 years old. Then one day....I stopped. My son was wetting the bed for awhile, then his father stepped in. My ex set his alarm clock every night far 2a.m. He got up, woke my son up, and made him go to the bathroom. It took about 1-2 weeks and he stopped. Granted, there were occasional accidents, but he doesn't wet the bed anymore. My parents tried that with me, but it didn't work. And back then, the machines to wake the child up were just being invented. :)
Now about him wetting himself during the day....that would concern me. To me that would suggest something is upsetting him in a major way. Look at what's going on around him, anyone in school picking on him? Is there some cause for stress? I wouldn't use medication for this. Nowdays, I think the medication 'answer' isn't the right answer. Try sitting down with him and talking to him. Set him on your lap and let him relax. Try to keep the conversation light and help him talk about school and whatnot. Maybe that will help.
Good Luck and I hope everything works out for the best.

L.,

I would be concern about the day time wetting and soiling. A lot of the times children do that when they have experience something traumatic or if they are trying to get attention or control. It could also be a medical problem. He would need to see a specialist. I have a son and daughter that wet the bed till they were 7 years old but only at night. I have a great doctor......She said alot of the time it is bec. the child is not producing a hormone that decreases the urine production during the night. We did the beeper(www.bedwettingstore.com) and on trips or sleepovers did the perscription(DDAVP)which decreased the urine production during the night. I am very conservative when it come to meds. I think it is important not to make the child feel like they are bad. I always encouraged them and told them that alot of other kids wet the bed too. My doctor also talked to them about the physical aspect and how alot of other kids wet the bed too. I think it helped them to have her talk to them. With my youngest I used incentives bec. I felt like he was just doing it out of convenience. It worked. I hope this helps.

hi, just wanted to let u know that i also wet the bed until i was 11 yrs old. i was a very heavy sleeper ( and still am). The bed alarms is what worked for me. also have him keep a journal every night wether he wets the bed or not. this wil help him keep track and show him how he is progressing. Good luck!!

I was a bedwetter until I was 18 (VERY embarrassing, but stopped almost immediately after puberty which is not uncommon). Anyway, for a very long time I was punished for having a wet bed. Once my aunt realized I was not doing it on purpose, they got the alarm. It worked wonderfully with my cousin, but with me...It scared me to death. I am one who when I get scared, I freeze. So the very loud alarm went off and I sat straight up in bed and peed all over it. My aunt was furious!! I refused to go to bed with that alarm on. There are medications that work. One is DDAVP (I think that is the name, it is something like that). Anyway my son is almost 8 and is taking this medication. It seems to work very well, when he remembers to take it. My son does "care" that he has a problem, but is embarrassed to let anyone know (including me and my husband) that he has been wet. So unless we specifically tell him to get his sheets off the bed, he won't. I would not say he does not care. Your son may be the same way. I know that I was.

As far as the daytime inuresis and incopresis (peeing and pooping), that may be a medical issue all its own. My son at 4 had been potty trained 100% for 2 years started pooping on himself during the day. It turned out he had had a "traumatic experience" with going to the bathroom. We had been camping and when he sat down on the outhouse potty, a HUGE garden spider climbed out of it. It took a visit to the doctor to figure this out. All I can say is if you are not happy with your doctor, you may want to get a second opinion.

My son's doctor (Richard LaMere) is located in the child study center downtown Fort Worth and is AWESOME. He does medicate, but tries to seek out every cause for the problem first. Anyway, sorry this is so long and probably not much help, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Have a great evening and good luck to you.

1 / 3