Bed Size for a Toddler

My 2 yr-old has been sleeping on a futon mattress in her bedroom. We need the futon for something else now and are thinking that we should get her a bed. Our options are: (1) buy a twin mattress or (2) use the full size mattress set we already have in the office/guestroom. I prefer to have her sleep on a twin size. However, it would save us money to just use the full size mattress. My concern is if there are any negative consequences or issues arising from using a large bed for a young child that I'm not aware of. I couldn't find any article on this topic. Anyone has experiences or thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your inputs. Seems like there's no harm in letting our daughter sleep on a large bed, so my husband and I decided that we'll use the full size mattress and see how it works out with her. Thanks again!

My son is about 2 3/4 and he has been sleeping on a full size bed since he was 2. We have a todder bed but he likes to roll so he's sideways on the mattress while he is asleep so he actually fell out of the toddler bed. We have the full size mattress on the floor with the box springs then the mattress and he loves the big bed. He can sleep side ways on it and he's fine. So I don't think there really is any problem with the big bed.

I would just keep the full-size bed and get a rail to prevent falling off the bed. I started in a full size bed when I was 20 months old and my sister started in a queen, because that is what was available. My daughter is 18 months and we are getting her a twin bed with a trundle bed so she will have a place for her cousins or friends to sleep. If I could fit a full-size bed in her room I would have done that instead.

I, personally, have never slept full-time in a twin-size bed. I was in a queen size bed from the crib because that's all my parents had. Never had a problem! I agree - I think the child would rarely have a chance to fall out of bed. If you've got the room, might as well use what you have. I would still get a bedrail, which can easily be found online.

Hi I would skip the twin size bed. When my twins were ready to sleep out of the crib, we bought a twin for my daughter and had my son sleep on our old queen sized bed. The twin sized bed was too narrow and my daughter ended up sleeping on the floor. My son loved the queen, he would sleep in the corner and we would put pillows on the edge so that he wouldn't roll off.

Now that the kids are 5, they both have full sized beds in their rooms. We gave the twin sized bed away, it was hardly used.

I don't see anything wrong with using the full size matress. She may even sleep better because it's so comfy and big, and just think....it should last for a LONG time for her :o)

It will be eaiser when she has a bad night, you'll be more comfy, too :o)

N.

My son has been in a full size matress since we took him out of the crib. We tried the toddler bed and he fell out a couple of times. The full size mattress has been nice, no falls and it makes it nice for us when we read him books at night or need to snuggle with him because he had a nightmare, etc. Save yourself some money...Good luck!

Hi Suzi, All I can say is "the bigger, the better" (ha ha) I have 2 boys, 11 months and 4 years.. and My 4 yr old has fallen off his twin a coulple times, but as he gotten older he has stopped rolling around so much. There has been several times that I Have wanted to take a nap with him, and having a bigger bed would have been so much easier, especially since I don't want my boys to get in any habit of sleeping with mommy and daddy in their big bed... The only disadvantage to a bigger bed is it would take up more room in her room and if you have guests over, where would they sleep?
I would just keep the twin close to the floor so if your baby girl only has two feet to fall if she tosses and turns... I would just use the full until she's older. But you can find really reasonable twin mattresses all over the place if you go with that decision. Try Craigs list, you can brand new stuff alot of times there for cheap... or try IKEA... good quality, less money.. anyway, hope that helped a little.
I'm a mother of 2 boys, married (not very happy with the husband lately) and I work full time. Take care.
Annaleisa

My son is 4.5 and has been in a full size bed since he was 16 months. He has always loved his bed. We put the boxspring and mattess on the floor so it would be easier for him to get in and out of. We did use a rail when we first started out, but he no longer needs it. He wouldn't have needed it at all except that he preferred to sleep at the edge of the bed instead of the middle, so he fell out that first night. It is also nice having the bigger bed to lay with her if she has a bad dream or is sick instead of bringing her into your bed and starting a bad habit. I would just strongly suggest you get a waterproof mattress pad if you don't already have one. You never know when they are going to have an accident or vomit in their bed, so best to have that extra layer of protection. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

My thought is the bigger the better, less likey for the little one to roll off the bed. One suggestion though is that at this age I would simply put the mattress on the ground without the bed frame. If she has been sleeping on the futon, she is probably fine, but even still a futon is a bit lower than a regular bed with a box and all that.

When my daughter outgrew her crib, we used a hand me down toddler bed from my niece, but when she turned 3 1/2, her grandparents gave her a full size bed. It seemed enormous at first, but we've gotten used to it now. It takes up a lot of space in her room, but allows us to comfortably hang out in her room to read books at night time. We have her be up against two walls (in the corner), and then installed a guard rail on the open side. We haven't had any issues at all with it and we've had it for almost a year now. Oh, one issue was that it was difficult to find kid bedding for a full size bed, but we recently found a tinkerbell set that she loves.

1 / 3