Bed Rest

I have 5 months to go and recently was put on a strict bed rest due to a little bleeding! This is my first pregnancy and it has been a bit tough. It started with 4 months of being very sick all day, to a diagnosis of placenta previa to now bed rest! Any one else ever been on a bed rest?? Should I be worried??? help!

i had placenta previa when i was arounf 13 weeks and was ordered to bed rest for 2 weeks then i went back as normal til i discovered my twins had TTTS at 19 wks. As for Placenta Previa.. i noticed only need bedrest for few weeks and it will go back normal. i may be wrong?

http://www.twinslist.org/bedtactics.htm

this is for multiple birth, but has VERY good information. There are many websites out there. Google: bed rest ideas

Hey M.
I was also on bed rest from 4 months on with my second child. Its the most boring, nerve racking time but necessary and well worth it at the end. Worry won't change what is going to happen just focus on feeling well-do lots of talking to the baby and every time you feel like your going to go crazy just remember its the best for the baby!
One thing to try and do better than I did is be very careful not to gain to much weight. I gained 35 pounds with her because you have nothing else to do but sit and eat-try to find something better than food to relax you! Good luck

Hey girl,
I echo everything--it sucks but you gotta do it. I broke down in tears when my doctor admitted me into the hospital (where I spent the remainder of my pregnancy weeks on IV). Whatever you do, don't get bored and eat. Do what all the other moms said. Keep blogging, we are all here for you.
I know I really didn't have anything new to add but I wanted you to have some new responses to read while in bed.
You can always catch up on things--I sat in bed and scrapbooked for a week straight:)

http://www.twinslist.org/bedtactics.htm

My first daughter was born at 28 1/2 weeks. I was on bed rest in the hospital for 1 1/2 months before she was even born. First, I know it is VERY hard be in bed rest, I understand there are so many things that come up and feelings you will have about it, from being a failure to wanting to do everything you can for your baby's and you well being Second take advantage of this quite rest time while you can. Definitely stay in bed you do not want to have a preemie(it is very difficult to go through) or put your own life in danger. If you have another child, get help! ask for it, do not be shy!!!! If not, think of it as a small respite before the adventure of being a mom. In retrospect I would have taken the time to read every book I ever wanted to read and also I would have gotten some audio books for learning another language. If you are home it would be a great idea to start to write to your baby and put it away for later. Video games are nice too!!! think of it as a blessing that you will have time to heal and try to stay positive as much as you can. Make sure if you have a partner you get lost of cuddle time maybe get a double recliner. Good luck love and take care.

My last pregnancy, my third, I was on bed rest too. I was lucky enough to be able to work from my bed side. My husband moved my computer next to the bed, and I used a cordless keyboard and mouse. As long as you keep yourself busy, reading magazines, or books that you like, or learning how to do new things (like crochet) or puzzles, I think you'll be alright. The only things that I experienced during that time, that weren't to my liking, is the loss of my muscle mass. It hurts, and the body aches. I know that it's best to lay on your left side, but when you're in bed all of the time, just keep changing sides so that you don't ache as much. Even thru bed-rest, the baby came several weeks early, but she was absolutely perfect, and there were no complications at all during birth. If I hadn't been on bed rest, the baby may not have made it. Keep your spirits up, and listen to your doc. It was especially hard for me to stay in bed all of the time, becuase I had a 4 yr old and a 1.5 yr old at the time...last year, and I wasn't even able to pick them up. Just know that you'll have to work extra hard to build muscles after birth, but that's all worth it when you see your little miracle born without issue. :o)

I had the same thing happen to me. Just follow your doctors orders. I now have a happy healthy 8 yr old girl!

When I was pregnant with my twin daughters, I was first ordered to limit my activities at five months, and when that didn't stop me from dialating I was put on bed rest. I spent about two months in bed, and they let me get up when the babies reached five pounds each, about a month before they were due. (Please note that twins are usually ready to be born at a lighter weight than singletons.) My twins were born naturally less than a week after they let me get up, so I guess they knew what they were talking about. They were small but healthy, and were able to leave the hospital on a normal schedule. (After three days, which is normal for twins.)

In contrast, I met a woman once who had twins who said they wanted her to go on bedrest, but she said didn't have time. I asked how the babies had come out, and it turned out one had to be in an incubator for months and had problems that took years of therapy before the child was "just about normal." The couple of months in bed could have saved so much time in hospital visits, doctors appointments and therapy, not to mention that the child may have started life at a normal weight and avoided some of the problems that can come with premature birth.

They have developed more and better methods to care for premies, but to me, having my child(ren) bearing a full-weight child is the best choice. My advice is to follow your doctor's advice. If there is any way possible, stay in bed. If you can get regular massages it makes you much more comfortable. Also come up with an exercise routine with lots of stretching that you can do lying down and ask your doctor if it is OK. Get friends to bring you books, eat lots of salads and be aware that it is easy to gain extra weight on bedrest. Elevate your feet, and switch positions frequently. Make it a time to learn about parenting with books, tapes, DVD's. Catch-up on watching movies that you have missed. Most of all, know that what you are doing will help your child and is an act of love.

Hi there,

My best friend had PP too and was put on bed rest (for both of her pregnancies) She also had to spend the last 2+ months in the hospital because of the PP. It was had on her but she had an amzing attitude which if you know anything about successful people they always keep positive in the face of adversity. I was so amazed with her ability to keep strong (yes she did have tough days and meltdown, heck that comes with being pregnant. Do you knit? Like to read, need to catch on movies? Nice thing is now adays with technology you can play with your registry. I'm sorry I don't have any great suggestions but if you don't find anyone with the similar situation, e-mail me and I'll put you in touch with my friend. Best of luck to you. btw, she has two beautiful healthy babies. Hang in there it is all worth it :)

1 / 3