Bathing at Night for Newborn

Ladies,

I am trying to set a night rutine for my 7 weeks old little baby. Since he is still taking a late feeding at around 10:30 pm, I was wondering if I should bathe him before that feeding or should I do it earlier? Sometimes he is asleep after his 7:30 pm feeding and I would hate to wake him up for a bath and then his last bottle. What do you guys do? He will start going to day care as of next week. :-( The pediatrician has advised me to start him on a set schedule since he will be on one for sure at the daycare.

A schedule is great, when the little ones will cooperate! I have 3 daughters....I found that bathing them right before the latest night feeding is the best way to go. The warm bath relaxes them and normally they'll dose right off to sleep! Congrats on the new baby!

~K

The time that worked for me was after I had dinner and before babies bottle.He went to bed with a full stomach and was ready for some sleep. Good luck.

~K

HI E.,
I would suggest bathing him before the 7 30 feeding- especially if you are going to be back at work. That way, he will have his bath, hs feeding and be ready to go down for the night-
good luck and blessings

We started bathing my son at 7:00 pm. He would go to bed by 7:30 and then wake up at midnight. The more he gets use to daycare the more the schedule will start working. It takes time. So pick the time you want and go with it. If it doesn't work for your family adjust. The first 3 weeks are the hardest for your little guy at daycare. Thing to remember he is getting use to the new schedule. Go to the daycare on a surprise visit and make sure your child is happy. If your son comes home unhappy for over a week I would suggest looking into a different daycare...one with less children. I was so upset about putting my son in daycare. I cried a lot. In the end my son loves daycare. He is a very social little guy. It helps that his teach loves him and gives him the attention he needs.

BTW breastfeeding and working can work but it will drain you some days. I did it for 9 months with the help of formula. The stress of work and being a new mom was hard and my body couldn't produce enough for my little guy. You can mix formula and breastmilk. Do what you can but in the end make sure you are happy.

Good luck. It is ok to cry. You can do it!

I always started the night routine (bath, etc) at 6:00-6:30 at night and then put them down at 7:00. I would give them a feeding (bottle/breastfed) right before they go down. Yes, they may still wake up again for those later night feedings, but eventually it will go away. All three of mine went to day care and it is an adjustment, they were always sooo tired when they got home. I would either put them to sleep for about an hour when we got home or put to bed earlier. It was the same every night. All my kids would go to sleep at 7:00 and most times sleep through the night. My 1 year old has been waking up at midnight or at five, but I think it is because he can't find his paci. We just took out his bumper, so they easily fall out of the bed. This is a whole other subject for another time :) Day Care was great for us. We got along with all the teachers, stay in good communication with them and you will be fine.

I do bath and bedtime with a bottle between 7-8 at night. That is the time I want he to go down. I would bathe him then !etween 7-8 since eventually you hope to cut out the late feeding!

E.,

Congrats on your new baby! Bath time at our house was after the dinner feeding, before the late night feeding. You will soon stop the late night feeding, so you want the routine to include the bath before the final bottle. Our 9 month old has bath, book, bottle then to bed around 7:30. Both my husband and I work and son is in daycare. This schedule worked well for us. Good luck with the transition back to work in a few weeks!

I usually do bath a little after dinner time. Doing it too late can really start a bad routine that you will not want to keep. Bathe earlier so it gives the baby time to calm and relax and then feed about 30 min. to an hour after bath, then off to bed (baby should be nice and relaxed by this time). It may not work perfectly the first few times, but if you stay consistant you should be able to work out the routine. I try to keep this routine with my son (8months) and he usually goes to bed around the same time but usually within a 1 hour window, for example: my goal is 7 so maybe he might go down at 7 today buy maybe 730 tomorrow, and sometimes even closer to 8 but usually never later than that. It just depends on they nap during the day and how tired they are. Good luck with your little one, it will all work out.

1 / 3