Bath Toy Recommendations

I have two toddlers and we have all grown tired of their squirter bath toys. I am looking for bath toy recommendations that aren't too big (small enough to fit in the boon frog pod toy holder) and more sanitary then the squirties. We steer away from container-like things right now because both of them are into drinking the bath water. What do your toddlers love to play with in the bath?

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. They were all great. Many of them will be added to the holiday gift list for my boys. Thanks again!

We've got a foam type house building blocks set that my kids love. It's made of the same material that the bath letters and numbers are made out of so it'll stick to the wall but doesn't take on water. We got them at Toys that Teach in Country Village (in Bothell).

My children had wind up motor boats that could be held by a very small hand. Even after the toys were wound down the kids pushed the boats around the tub.

I just bought my 18 month old daughter foam numbers and letters that stick on the wall for the tub... She LOVES them. Your 14 month old might like to chew on them, though!

I'm constantly looking for bath toys that don't take in water! They're hard to find in stores, but are abundant online if you're willing to pay a bit more.

Target does have a few I like - turtles that float and have weak magnets in the nose and tail so that they can trail each other in a line.

I second the vote for kitchen cups and funnels, etc. as well as the hard plastic animals. My older daughters have outgrown most of those toys, though, and now just play with their Barbies in the tub. I let them use the ones I get in a bag for $1 at Goodwill while their more expensive ones are not allowed to get wet.

Be creative. You don't need to buy a specific bath toy to have a great bath toy!

- Containers have always been a favorite (not for yours right now though, sounds like)
- Foam letters
- Bath paint/crayons (some stain plastic tubs, btw, especially red)
- Hotwheels
- sea anemones (the weird skull cap things that were all the rage awhile ago, in the tub look like sea anemones
- Bubble (both bubble bath bubbles, and wand bubbles)
- Sponges
- coins (when a little older)
- Boats
- leggos
- "pool" sharks (the motorized kind that swim around)
- goggles

Tub crayons! They're the best non-container-ish thing you can put in the bathtub. Also, foam letters and numbers; sailboats (the Nova Naturals site has some beautiful wooden ones); and plain old plastic animals: if dramatic play is their thing, the plastic animals are wonderful. Just make sure they're solid so that the bodies don't take on water.

Hi N.,

I can understanding not wanting containers in the tub. My daughter loves to drink the bathwater, too. :)

We have the Boon foam toys that stick to the walls of the tub and any other flat surface (including tummies and foreheads, briefly). They stand up well to biting. My daughter has put tooth marks on a few, but hasn't actually bitten through any of them yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Boon-901-Bath-Goods/dp/B000G7WU5K/r...
Another one we have is a whale shape sorter with four shapes by Alex company. The pieces could be used for drinking, but my daughter likes to play with it. My only real complaint is that the tabs that hold the bottom of the whale to the top broke easily. But the set still works using just the top.
http://www.target.com/dp/B000OVEP5Q/sr=1-1/qid=1259426848...

One grandma has a set of rubber ducks that float, light up and quack a song. They're sealed so they don't end up with water inside. She also has a small mesh basketball hoop that suction cups to the side of the tub with a couple of sealed plastic balls.

Another grandma has a set of hard plastic floating fish and a small net to catch them in and go fishing. That would probably be more appropriate for the older one.

I don't know the brands for any of the grandma's house toys, but I'm sure you could find something similar if you search. Good luck.

We stick with the foam letters that stick to the side of the tub. We also found a foam puzzle, but can't find another one.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

about sharks