Baptism Brunch Ideas

We are finally having our youngest son baptised on December 28 and are hosting a brunch after his baptism. Mass is at 1030 with his baptism to follow and brunch after that at our house. We are also hosting both boys birthday parties after brunch. I am looking for simple recipe ideas (like a great caserole or salad) that I can make a head of time and have ready for the brunch. I have a spiral sliced ham and was also planning to have another meat (roast or brisket) that I can cook in the crock pot. I don't mind having it cook in the oven while we're at mass if there is a set time, my oven has a set time function and should keep it warm until we get home and I have 2 crock pots with access to 2 more and a roaster if needed. Help please!
Thank you

Thank you for all the great recipes. We decided to make ham and brisket as planned, Sweet Tomatoes Brocoli Salad (easy to make ahead), Hashbrown casserole, bake mac&cheese, jello fruit salad cups, frozen fruit salad with yogurt dressing. I have also made by request my crab cheese ball, and cupcakes for the kids and almond cake for the adults. I also picked up rolls, a veggie tray, party mix and pretzels to munch on. I also plan to pop a bread mix in my bread maker to make the house smell yummy and to supplement the rolls. I'm making most of the food ahead of time and plan to pop the casseroles in the oven to warm on low while we are at mass. I had a friend who was going to help but she is under the weather. For once the cold weather is working in our favor, I can put the drinks on the deck to chill and put a cooler with the marinating brisket and ham on the deck ( I needed the fridge space).

Thank you, I'll let you know how it went.

Here's a broccoli casserole that's easy (but it takes several dishes). You can put it together the night before, then bake it when you're ready.

1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
4 servings rice (I use boil-in-bag)
8 oz Cheez Whiz
1 can each cream of chicken and mushroom

Prepare rice and steam broccoli (either on the stove or in the microwave). Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook Cheez Whiz and soups over med-low heat, stirring occasionally, until blended and heated through. Drain rice and broccoli, and combine all ingredients, mix completely. Spread in 9x13 pan until ready to bake. Bake at 350 at least 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

*You can use 6 servings of rice to make it go farther

*To make this a whole meal, add 3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or cut into bite-sized pieces.

I am a huge lover of Mexican food. I would suggest pre-cooking some scrambled eggs with sausage/ham and bell peppers and serving some tortillas and having salsa, guac, sour cream, etc. Breakfast burritos. After our daughter's baptism we had a fantastic fruit tray and served some of the fruit dip in a large margarita or martini class that added some height and color. I also know that the small sausages in a biscuit (pigs in a blanket) can be good, or we have made some mini-calzones. I know you probably know this, but I love allrecipes.com for stuff like this. Seems like a great source. Good luck and congrats on planting the seed of faith in your son.

Potato Casserole:
2lbs Southern Style frozen hashbrowns
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 can Cream of Potato soup
8oz Sour Cream
1C. milk
1/4C. diced onion
1 Tbl. Pimento
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix soups, milk, sour cream and hashbrowns. Add onions, pimento, salt and pepper to taste. Bake uncovered for one and a half hours at 300 degrees.

My family loves this breakfast casserole recipe. You can make it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.
6 slices of bread buttered on both sides
1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground sausage
2 cups of Cheese (cheddar or colbyjack)
1 pt of half and half
6 eggs - beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: *diced onions, *bellpeppers, *black olives, tomatoeos, or anything else you like

In a 9x13 dish place buttered brad on bottom of pan. Brown sausage and spread evenly over bread. Add any optional items at this time. Sprinkle cheese evenly over mixture. Mix eggs with half and half and salt and pepper. Pour over cheese and refrigerate overnight. Take out of fridge 15 minutes be fore baking. Bake in the morning at 350 degrees uncovered for 45 minutes.
*we put these in ours

We've brought this to church also and it never lasts. Good luck and God Bless.

1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
4 servings rice (I use boil-in-bag)
8 oz Cheez Whiz

You can always cook veggies in a crock pot... Godd ones are green bans and potatoes together or even a crock full of baked beans. You can do a southern style cream corn in there too. This is basically corn and cream cheese with a little bit of milk to the consistancy you want and salt & pepper to taste.

PS - You can even put the mac-n-cheese in the crock pot to keep warm too....

Hi A.-
This is D. B in St. Peters. I did a similar brunch a few years ago. Here's some ideas for you. I do an ilatian beef which is a brisket cooked slowly for 24-36 hours with galic and onion soup mix and beef broth... it is fabulous served on french bread and swiss cheese. Do a seven layer salad and a veggie tray and a fruit bowl. Lasagna by stouffers is great and easy. Buy the big family size for about $11 each... Hope this helps.

Hi A., Man I have a lot of great recipes saved to my files today :)
I have a salad recipe that is made the day before.

Spinach Salad
6 bx of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squished lol no liquid)
5 hard boiled eggs chopped
2 stocks celery chopped
1 med onion chopped
1 med can of chopped bk olives
1 or 2 cups of Colby, Cheddar, or Monterrey jack cheese

Dressing
2 cups Mayo. Real Stuff
2-3 tsp on creamy horseradish
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all together (taste for seasoning of horsey sauce)
Pour over Spinach and mix up.
Cover and place in Frig until served.

We love this one anytime but it is very good for the Holidays

God Bless your Family at this Blessed time of year
K. Nana of 5
Have a wonderful Merry Christmas, Happist of the New year ahead. Great way to start it btw

What about the egg stratdas that are made with chunks of bread, milk and eggs? I usually make one sausage and one bacon. They cook for about an hour so they would be a perfect last thing to pop in the oven and be ready to come out when you get home.

A great crock pot dish is mushroom and rice casserole...just dump all the stuff in and let it cook...not much else to do.

Instead of a salad, why not just go a veggie tray? Leftovers of that are a lot easier and at least you can use the veggies in cooking where a salad would just go bad if you didn't eat it in time. But if you want a salad...my family is really keen on the ramen noodle one...not one of my favs as it gives me horrid indigestion but everyone else seems to like it. You might also want to get some of the dollar rolls from a local bakery...that way, people can turn the ham/roast into sandwiches if they like (probably a bigger hit with the kids).

I'd also like to suggest something that I did for my own daughter's baptism...get someone (or a few someone's) who aren't going to be in the pictures afterwards to head directly to your house to start laying the food and stuff out (have them over beforehand to let them know how you want it laid out)...then by the time you get home people are already milling about with drinks and almost ready to sit down for the meal. It was a HUGE help and a nice relief to know I didn't have to rush through our pictures and that my guests were taken care of.

1 / 3