Bad Dog - Diapers Are Not Food!

Hi Moms. Our yellow lab just treated himself to my 1-month old's dirty diapers. They're in a small bin next to the pack n play, which is emptied every day. I hadn't had a chance to grab it yet this morning, and I just walked in to discover shredded and half-eaten dirty diapers all over my bedroom floor! Bad dog! Yes, I'm very annoyed that he ate these diapers (and yes, I will be breaking out the diaper genie pronto), but now I'm worried that the dog will be sick. Most of the diapers in the bin were poopy, and what I have to clean up doesn't look very poopy - so I'm guessing he ate what was in the diapers, as disgusting as it sounds. Has anyone experienced this with their dog? Did he/she get sick? Anyone know what about dirty diapers is appealing to a dog? GROSS!

I have had nearly the exact same thing happen but my dog is much smaller, she is a jack russell terrier. All I can say is expect sudden needs to go number 2 and that it will consist of the "Gel" mess from the diapers. My dog did not become ill or anything but took frequent bathrrom breaks. Hopefully that is helpful.

He won't get sick. It's gross, but he won't. And it's quite common for dogs to eat poop. Ours has been known to eat possum poop, cat poop, etc. Sometimes he'll rub his cheeks in it if he finds some possum poop in the yard. Blech.

Added: I don't know about the diaper bits, though. He could throw those up.

It may be poop to us, but it was obviously filet mignon to your dog! Eeeewwweeee!
My dogs have eaten deer & rabbit poop with no ill effects.

Yup. Love my dogs but our dachsund mix LOVES LOVES LOVES the following revolting things:
1. dirty diapers. The poopier the better.
2. snotty tissues. The boogier, the better.
3. crayons. No clue what's up with this, she absolutely demolishes these. And sniffs around when the kids are coloring.

She has eaten more diapers than I care to think about. The gross diapery stuff comes out in her poop.

Let's see. What is appealing? I don't know, we'll have to ask our dogs! LOL!

Gross as it is, I have not seen any ill effects. The first time my little disgusto got her hands on poop was with our first child, 5 years ago. My mom was in the middle of changing the baby on her rug on the floor and had a used diaper open and there was a firm ball of poop in the diaper and when my mom turned around to roll the diaper up and throw it out - imagine her shock when it was an empty diaper! EEEWWW!!!
And yes we still love our little nasty dog.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Our Black Lab had eaten the poopy diapers a few times. Quite Gross!!!! But he never showed any ill effects and he lived to 18! If your lab is anything like my lab was, he'll be fine!

He'll be okay-- in the dog worl there are two types of poop-- poop you eat and poop you roll in. Now you know what kind the baby makes!

Yeah my dogs used to do it all the time. You will die if it rains before you poop scoop the back yard. After that gel has been pelted with rain it almost looks alien. :p

My dog has done that, they both have, hell they still do if my daughter strips out of her pull up and they get to it before I do.

He should be fine.

I dont know the answer to any of that - but do know that my lab treats himself to the poopy diaper buffet any chance he gets. So gross.

I tell myself its just his nurturing nature trying to clean up after his "boy."

1 / 3