Bad Breath in Son - Murfreesboro,TN

My 5 year old has horrible breath. It smells like a dead animal! It's disgusting. Is this just a product of not brushing his teeth well enough, or something else? I worked in the evenings for over a year and his father let him brush his teeth by himself (I was doing it then letting him go after me) and now he gets upset if I brush them for him. Any ideas?

Google "Tonsil Stones." Very disgusting, but harmless. Once they come out, the breath clears right up.

Probably better ask his Dr. or dentist. It could be that he's not drinking enough liquids, that there's some kind of infection or bacteria in his system, or something between some of his teeth. Hard to tell...

I'm going to say that's it poor dental hygiene. My son (age 9) has horrible breath so bad that I had to start going behind him to brush his teeth. Then I had to make him start flossing at least every other day (I know he should do it everyday but small steps at a time). I still noticed a bad odor so I changed his toothpaste from the bubblegum flavored children's toothpaste to the adult flavored then I got him the children's listerine (Agent Blue) and I have him swish with that and brush all the blue away too so he can see what he misses. It has helped some. I also notice that when my son is getting sick, has a cold, or is constipated his breath is worse.

What about seeing a dentist? Dentists generally start seeing children at about 3 years of age. Two things can happen: 1.) He is checked for any problems in the mouth and 2.) If he doesn't want to go back to the dentist, with the big needles, then he needs to start brushing his teeth.

Hi Kristin,

If his teeth are being brushed appropriately then this is definitely a sign of a lack of proper nutrition. This is not to say that you are feeding him wrong, but could just be that he is not absorbing nutrition properly. This is really a simple issue but you do need to know the steps to take. If you want any information feel free to get back to me. I'd love to help.

God bless,

You should take him to the dentist to make sure there is nothing horrible going on in his mouth.

But it could also be from his gut. My 17 year old son will sometimes eat something that causes him to have horrible breath the next morning. I give him a couple of Mint Asures and it really helps. He sucks on them until the minty taste is gone and then swallows them with water.

Probiotics and a whole foods diet are also good ideas but rule out dental problems first at the dentist. Good luck.

brushing your teeth and tongue properly are very important, but it is often from something more. Perhaps a gum disease? Or acid reflux? I cant remember the name of the pills, but there is a pill to help that, too. It is natural, but works from deep within. God Bless.

As long as he has been given the 'all clear' from the dentist, I would put the blame on the kid's toothpaste I am sure he is using. We have the same problem w/my 6yo son. The berry/bubblegum stuff just doesn't cut bad breathe, but it is next to impossible to get them to use one of the minty ones! I feel your pain!

Make sure he is brushing his tongue. That is the biggest smelliest thing in your mouth. Also cant hurt to brush the insides of his cheeks as well and gums - below where the teeth start to show. Also check his tongue to make sure it is clear of fungus (would look white).

1 / 3