Bad Breath Child

I have a 16 month with very bad breath, i have been brushing her teeth and everything and i cannot get it to smell good. I was just wondering if anyone has had that problem with their child. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
thankyou so much!

thankyou so much for all your responses...i have started brushing her teeth more and it has helped alot..thank ya'll!

My husband suggets that there could be two possibilites that he can think of. (1) That it could be the kind of milk the child is drinking. Try changing the milk or formula if you can and see if that helps. (2) That it could be a problem with acid reflux. or stomach related. Hope this helps.

Take her to her pediatrician. Bad breath in a child that young usually means an infection somewhere, the nose, sinuses, throat, or ears. But take her soon.

Post-nasal drip can cause truly foul breath.
So can tonsillitis - any ENT infection can.
Does she have all her teeth? Teething can sometimes cause bad breath.
There are also certain dietary/metabolic conditions that can do it - have you added anything new to her diet recently? It could be that she's having difficulty digesting it and that's what's causing the bad breath.
It could simply be her body chemistry, in which case, she may need to brush more often to keep her mouth feeling and smeling clean.

Maybe the child has a sinus infection? Does he/she keep a runny nose and act stuffed up? G.

I agree with the other posters. Have her checked out with an ENT or allergist. My oldest (now 8) had very foul breath also when younger due to post nasal drip. With several bouts of allergy medicine she seems to have grown out of it (just treated by family doctor). My middle started having the same problem at age 3 and after failing a hearing test, was referred to an ENT for tubes and after getting tubes and prescribed once a day singular and nasonex, not only has her hearing improved, but also her breath!

Hope this helps :-)

Hi. I am not sure if this can be the cause; however, I have a 6 year old boy and the same thing has been happening over the years. Recently, I found out that my son's tonsils are a little larger than normal and sometimes food becomes lodged behind them and can cause a small puss pocket which causes him to have bad breath. The pocket will go away by it's self and he does not run any fever. He also does not complain about anything hurting. The only thing that lets me know its actually happened again is his breath. His TNT Dr. is currently watching him to see exactly how often this occurs to see if he needs his tonsils removed. If you want to see if this is possible - have your daughter open her mouth very wide and say ahh- shine a flashlight inside- see if you see any white around or on her tonsils. Hope this helps.
-A.

I'm tending to lean with the posters who think it may be an ENT problem. That would be the most common thing. My DD has that issue sometimes, and it's always when she has a cold or is stuffy, etc.

Then, I read Pam S's post and remembered a story I heard a long time ago about something similar happening to a little girl. Somehow she had gotten a little piece of a pine tree needle from their Christmas tree in her lung, and it caused her to have the most horrible breath for years until they somehow figured it out! Weird, and I'm sure not what is behind your issue, though!!!!

The first thing that I would do is take her to the Dr. and have her ears , nose and throat checked out and make sure it is not medical and if not ask them if there is anything you can do...My daughter who is now 23 had the same problem when she was around 7 I took her to the Dr. and when she told him hello he smelled it and said the first thing we need to do is remove those tonsil's they are rotten...Might not be your problem but it is worth having it checked before she starts getting sick all the time ( I had taken her to several Dr.s before this one and no one could figure out the problem) She had the surgery and to this day she rarely gets sick and no longer has the breath problem...Good Luck Mickey

First you should see your childs doctor.  She chould have a sinus infection or a problem with her stomach.  At this age a child should not have any gum problems so it could be in the sinsus.

1 / 3