Back of Head Bump and Nose Bleed

My 2 year old son pushed his chair back from the table and fell straight back. He his the back of his head but then got a nose bleed. Should i be concerned, be at no time was his nose hit?

Take him to the Doctor for a professional appraisal.
Sometimes, "bumps" do not appear externally, but internally and you can't see it.
Or, take him to the ER....

all the best,
Susan

If you are asking, you must have some concerns. If you are concerned, contact his pediatrician. Better safe than sorry, right? I would rather have the doctor say he was fine, than to kick myself later for not listening to that nagging feeling in my gut.

It could very well just be a standard nose bleed but there is no real way to know enough to just forget about it. I'm not even sure what the doctors would do beyond just seeing if there are any signs of a concussion (dilated eyes) and then observing how he feels for the next many days: being careful to look for nausea, lethargy or excessive crying. But it sounds scary enough that seeing your doctor is probably a good idea.

That being said, one of the only times I let my son cry for 5 minutes I came back in to find his mouth full of blood. Now, one would think that that is a no brainer emergency room visit, but as soon as I wiped away the blood there was no more and after consulting with my doctor it turned out to just be a burst blood blister from teething. So I know how it feels to know that it sounds crazy not to rush to the ER but see and know in your gut that they are fine.

Just really observe him carefully if you dont' go, and keep it up diligently for longer than you might remember to. That's my advice and I'm pretty sure all a doctor would do unless you really felt a cat scan was warranted.

Or, take him to the ER....

all the best,
Susan

Is his nose bleeding still? Any bumps?? Make sure he doesnt fall asleep for a good couple of hours.. If he looks that something bothers him I suggest you take him to the doctor.

I would take him to the ER or his doctors for sure. I hope he is doing good?
Sue

You need to take him to the ER immediately. I don't think anyone noticed that you said he did not hit his nose but the back of the head. Hope all is well.

Go to the doctor -- NOW.

S.,

Absolutely honey! Take him to a doctor TODAY. My dad's a Dr. and I'm an RN. It could be a head injury inside, very serious/dangerous, or nothing to be concerned about. But the bloody nose is a sign of injury.

Wendy

1 / 3