Back in the Olden Days, Country Ways, Redneck Ways Jff

back in the olden days or country moms or redneck moms use old style medicine for their kids. back before medical help was so prevelant. i know some country moms and redneck moms still use it due to being so far from a hospital. we were talking about this at work tonight and it got me curious. what did you do for medical problems when medicine wasnt as abundant as it is today. ex one example we were talking about vinegar and clear nail polish for insect bites. baking soda paste for wasp stings or bee stings ( pulls the poison out) butter for burns in her case mine was mustard for burns takes the sting out.yougurt straight on the babies hiney for yeast infections. super glue for cuts. stuff like this. bleach for poison ivy was another one. so what did you use for stuff if you were to far from a doc or before this stuff nowdays existed? no i dont condone or condemn using this its just a curiousity thing. she was a nurse raised in the country and there were 8 kids so they used alot of stuff i had never heard of. yes i do realize doctors are better. we were also talking about what vitamins help with what. whiskey for abcess and she said ginger root for a tooth ache. so what did you use and for what

edit yes i know butter on burns is very outdated but so are most of these remedies i named. my grandma swore by butter on burns but i have never used it.

i by no way meant offense when i put redneck in the title. i know alot of these remedies were used during the depression era and alot of country people use them cause they are so far away from a hospital. my grandma taught me a few of these and she was not redneck at all. depression era yes redneck no way. some of these i have heard and some i have used but not many like the chicken soup. i have actually used the whiskey for an abcess. it does work. these are seldom used anymore. i learned a few i havent heard of. seems chewing tabacoo seems to cure alot. i have heard other uses for it like stink bait but alot of people use it for various reasons. wierd nasty stuff. but thanks for the input and i learned alot i do need to check into the windex though. and since you all said that i do believe windex has vinegar in it. i know mustard does and vinegar is actually what takes the sting out of burns. but they use mustard to get it to stay put. and yes i have used this alot whcn cooking in resturants. it does work.

Crisco for dry skin/ecsema(sp). I am using it for my daughter now on her forhead and it works great and is much much cheaper than Aquaphore.
(my girlfriend has a son who is now 9. When he was a baby he had horrible ecsema and his grandmother on the dad's side told her about the Crisco. She said that back in the day (40's) black folks had a hard time being seen by medical doctors so they had to come up with their own remedies.)

This reminds me of that movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", where the father treats every skin condition with Windex.

There is some truth to some of it - baking soda is great for bee stings and aloe is good for sunburns. But some of it is bunk - bleach for poison ivy? Really?

My dad swears by three part 7up one part water to ease a babies nausea. Once, when I was 8, I got bit by a spider. At least we thought so, because it got really bad, leaking brown fluid and the area around was swollen and red. My mom thought it was a brown recluse. My mom had just decided to take me to the doc. first thing Monday. The Sunday before my appt we went to my Great Grandmothers house and my mom mentioned it to her. My grandma asked to see it, we showed her and she said, "I have just the thing." She went to the kitchen and came back out with a spoon. Mom thought she was going to give me something, but really ggma had heated one of her pure silver spoons on the oven and she put it against my leg! Well of course I cried out and my mom just stood there is disbelief, but you know what? All that brown yucky stuff came out, and by the next morning the swelling was gone. Granted I do have a scar now, and I would never do it to a child but it did work!

well i was born in the 80s so i cant recall too many home remedies, but i like aloe vera cut strait from the yard for burns, i heard onion was good for bites. Warm baths are great for fevers, whiskey rubbed on the gums of a teething baby really does help. And ear candles are awesome!

I really like the yogurt/diaper rash idea ...totally gonna try that

@jennifer,,,,i hope to one day be with a friend that gets stung by a jellyfish.....hahahaha, what a great conversation

Meat tenderizer on bee stings
Raw egg on burns
Teaspoon of sugar for hiccups
Chicken soup for everything ;-)

the best natural thing i do is steam for colds, a little peppermint or eucalyptis oil in there helps too. and of course moms chicken soup. and netty pot works great. oh, and im pretty sure i was told that the pee on the jellyfish sting works because of the ammonia. one time when i was stung badly by jellyfish (awful) and they brought me to the first aid station and they sprayed my legs with ammonia (i assume diluted) and it helped immediately.
just for fun - my father in law swears that if you have a wart, you need to put a split pea in a paper bag and throw it out on the back lawn on a night when there is a full moon. i swear. :)

I never rushed my kids to the doc like people do these days. I always put a clean fresh sheet on the couch with a clean fresh pillow case on their pillow and let them lay on the couch until they felt better. It was special to have the couch to yourself. I'd sit at the end and rub their feet.
We used merchurachrome for bites and cuts (kids love that red stuff, my hubby still likes to use it and I have some in the medicine cabinet, lol).
I remember getting bit by a red aunt on my toe when I was about 5, it hurt like Hell. My grandmother slathered it in blue ink. I think the blue ink just made you think it was better. Toe stayed blue for days, haha. Who has an ink bottle in their house now? I doubt hardly anyone. That was in the days when you filled your own pens and ink pads... who uses ink pads nowadays?
cute post.

We gargled with salt and hot water for sore throats.

I just want to point out that home remedies were not just used by "country" moms. My family is from New England and they used many of the things you mentioned, I don't think it has anything to do with the country but the times they grew up in.

Butter should never be used on burns, the reason it was used is because it was cold, it may have worked then but because of the fat can actually make the burn worse.

I searched fro home remedies and found a bunch of sites that may interest you:

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/

http://www.homeremedypro.com/

http://www.homeremedyhaven.com/

http://www.susangaer.com/studentprojects/rem.htm

1 / 3