Back Acne and Prom Dress

My daughter is going to prom Saturday and has some back acne. It's not major, but her dress is strapless and I'm wondering what is a good way to cover it? Should we try foundation or a sunless tan cream. Thanks for your help!

Prom was great. We didn't really get a solution in time, but it really didn't look bad. The bronzer gave her some nice color. At Prom Walk I noticed that other girls had similar problems - but it really wasn't a problem. These girls are so much more confident than I was at that age. I guess we've come a long way in that regard. Thanks to all who gave me suggestions.

Sorry to here that but I had a acne on my face I use Silver Sheild gel on my face the next day my face was clear of it all.

I understand this one very well. Having had acne very bad in my teens, I know what it feels like. My oldest had some too and she has very light skin so we used a bronzer on her that looked so natural. However, all bronzers are not alike since some may turn orange due to oxidation! Sunless tans are good too but you have to be careful of the brand and make sure it is even or it will streak and worse yet, have darker spots if not used evenly. I use a product line that has wonderful botanically based products and has come out with an improved acne line that is one of the best systems going! If you'd like more information, just let me know. Acne is hard on teens and I can help you out. Best of luck. How fun.....

I used to have this problem as a teen. Along with the other advice posted, does she have long hair? That is another way to cover it up.

You are such a thoughtful mom! :)

Two things:

1) Have your daughter stay away from any known inflammatory foods (like eggs, dairy, beef, pork, caffeine, sweets, wheat) until prom (so no additional acne will occur). Have her eat fruits, salads, chicken, rice and potatoes, oatmeal, vegetables, and take in extra good oils (avocado, olive oil (even as a dressing on salads).

2) For coverage, I think traditional foundations may run. Have you tried the mineral based make-up? It has excellent coverage, stays on a long time (even when you are perspiring) and the minerals are actually good for your skin. You can by a starter set at Ulta.

I hope this helps and that your daughter has a fun time!

Tanning will not cover up acne, although it may diminish it slightly. You best be is make up. Do not skip on the quality. You need a good mineral make up. Go into the store like Ultra or a high end department store and try some on the products. There are great cover up make ups out there. You could also call up a cosmetology school and ask what they would recommend. But I think your best bet is to go in the store and see what works for her before buying. Just do not skimp on quality.

I bet the spray on leg makeup would work great. It stays on and doesn't rub off. I use it on my legs in the summer to cover my bad veins, etc, and I can get by without pantyhose. I usually take a little regular foundation to put on the worst spots, then use the leg makeup. You spray it on your hands, then rub. I would do a trial run before the big day! You want something that isn't going to rub off. Does she have time to get a little sun on her back? That would help clear it up, too. I hope she has a great time.

I know this is a big "no no" these days, and I'm not sure if there's enough time for it to help, but going tanning in the tanning bed used to help me with this problem. If you choose to let her do this, do not let her go the whole time allowed- she'll be red and peely for prom!

Hi V.,
I have a couple of tricks using makeup that will help your daughter. I am a Mary Kay consultant in Plainfield and I would be happy to help you & your daughter. I offer complimentary appointments where you could try the products to see if you like the results without any pressure to purchase anything. I know its pretty close to Saturday, but if you are interested please give me a call I am a SAHM with retired parents who live close so my schedule is pretty flexible. I recently did a prom fashion show for Plainfield South and the girls were thrilled with their makeup. You and your daughter could also visit my site for tips on skin care as well a do a virtual make-over. I hope this helps! M. Jones ###-###-#### www.marykay.com/mjones80162

1 / 3