Baby with Thrush

Hello,
My son is three and a half months old and we have been dealing with small amounts of thrush in his mouth since his 2 month check up. He was put on nystatin for ten days and then I refilled that to no avail.. Then I asked to be treated also even though I have no symptoms. So, I also used the nystatin but it was a cream for my breasts and nipples.. It was hard though because my son nurses so often and I had to wipe it off so frequently that I don't know how much it was effective. Anyway, he was given another dose of ten days of nystatin and I also refilled that and am just at the end of it.... I am at my wits end because the thrush is still in his mouth!!!!! I don't think that it bothers him much but I want to get rid of it and refuse to put him on nystatin again.... Has anyone had any experience with gentian violet for thrush treatment? I know that it stains the baby's mouth and my nipples but I would rather have that then continue on this medicine that does not work..... I've heard that it works but it's just messy... I've also read about diflucan but I think that I'd rather try the natural remedy first before I bring him back to the doctor to pay another co-pay and have them tell me what I already know! Anyway, my doctor is very all-natural so I'm surprised that she hasn't mentioned the gentian violet but at the same time am not because she gets paid to sell the drugs..... If anyone has used the gention violet and has any suggestions that would help, I'd really appreciate it. I'm so sick of this thrush and giving my baby medication four times a day! Thanks...

Melissa

I had a baby who got thrush right after she was born. I did two rounds of Nystatin which did not work at all and then spoke more with my doctor about it and he said as long as it doesn't seem to bother her, and she was not having trouble eating, that it would go away on it's own, which is exactly what happened. Good luck, sometimes I think it bothers us more than it bothers the little ones so maybe just try to wait awhile with no meds and see if it goes away on it's own.

had the very same issue and the gentian violet cleared it in one treatment.Just watch out it really stains!

My first son had thrush for MONTHS...and we gave him the medicine religiously...I never got it, but it only went away on its own, and, ironically, when I stopped giving him the meds! He seems (and seemed) to have no problems with it, so unless there's some concern (long term effects? eating poorly? you're passing it back and forth?) I don't know that it's anything to worry about.

When my son got thrush I used the gentian violet, it worked very well for us. I put some on my finger or a q-tip and used that to put it in his mouth, just a little bit a couple of times a day, you don't want him to swallow it. It usually comes with directions, so I followed them pretty closely. We used it for about a week and it cleared up very nicely. My doctor actually recommended using that first so did it and it worked. Another thing he suggested was if you use nursing pads to change them often. I have also found a webstie that gives lots of homeopathic remedies so i am putting the link here for you, good luck!! http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/home-remedy-for-thrus...

We did nystan for one week, still had thush did the blue mouth, the color faded in two days and so did the thrush.
Since then we have also been sterlizing nipples and pacifers daily to make sure they are clean.
As for your breast, I really do not have clue- if he take the bottle at all, I would pump and bottle feed for a day allowing your nipples to clear up too.
just my journey! Q

I second the acidolphilus idea. I take a medication for my asthma that gives me thrush in my mouth. After months of dealing with the side effects of the thrush pills that I had to suck on 5 times a day, I started looking for alternatives. The acidolphilus was great! I used the powder and made a paste that I spread all over in my mouth and let it sit for a few minutes and then swallowed. The thrush was under control in a couple of days and now I just have to eat a yogurt(no sugar) twice a day to keep it at bay. Hope he's feeling better soon. Amy

with our first son we used gentian violet and it worked with one dose, they actually did it in the office. then with our second they used diflucan and that worked well too, they also put me on something because i was sore.

good luck, i feel your pain!

Our dd had thrush once as a baby and it was the one time my husband took her to the pediatrician instead of me. Our group has this great "older guy" who sometimes loves to prescribe home remedies instead of prescription medication. He told my husband to use gentian violet and it would clear up. My dh ran out and bought it, brought our baby home and administered the solution and then called me at work to fill me in. I was furious that he didn't give us a prescription and even more so once I saw her, but we took some pictures (you will have to) and sure enough, it cleared up and never came back. It is a mess, but it worked for us. I guess the old guy knows something after all. :)

My daughter had thrush almost from day one and honestly I didn't even know it was thrush until my sister who works in a clinic told me when she was a month old. I know sometimes formula leaves a residue, but this was more than just a residue.

We brough her in and it was thrush. She was prescribed a swish and swallow medicine to use for 10 days, but it didn't do anything for her. 2 weeks later we were given another medicine that she was to use for 14 days. We were at day 10 and it seemed to get better. However I think that maybe it cleared up on its own. My doctor said that it usually clears up around 2-3 months, but the medicine probably helped!!

Sorry I don't remember the names of the medications - so I probably no help (I think one was the Nystatin - but I am not sure).

My doctor said we could have tried the Gentian Violet, but I didn't want to because it stains everything and makes a mess.

Good luck and I hope everything goes ok..

Have you tried just plain yogurt? Or acidophillis (sp?)? You can go to your local health store and get natural whole milk plain yogurt, which has acidophilis in it. You just smear the inside of the mouth, and you might want to check the butt area, as the yeast is most likely in the digestive tract. You can put the yogurt on the butt, too. Also, you can put it on your nipples, and as it is not a drug, and is safe for baby, you won't have to wipe it off every time. You can also take the acidoph capsules to ward off any of the yeast that might be in your body. It's totally harmless, and can be taken as part of any daily vitamins you might use. Good luck!

P.S. If your baby uses a pacifier, you might want to get a brand new one and smear yogurt on that, too.

If you really want to get rid of the thrush quickly and permanently, don't even mess around with nystatin or things that "might help." Just get some diflucan -- it will knock out the infection right away and you and baby will both be much happier. Sometimes drugs are the best and most effective remedy.

1 / 3