Baby with One Kidney

My friend just found out that their baby (fetus) only has one kidney.The baby is at 20weeks gestation. What I wanted to find out was, is there anyone out there who has a child with only one kidney? What kind of complications could arise as this child gets older and is this type of abnormality indicitive of other complications with the baby?

Well, my friend had an ultrasound done down at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia and it seems the kidneys are fused together. So, on the ultrasound it appears as if theres only one kidney. But the pediatric urologist who they consulted with told them in the large scheme of things- it wasn't a horrible situation. That this child could live with only one kidney. They did talk about putting the baby on antibiotics right away and being examined every several months by a pediatric specialist. She goes for another ultra sound at 32weeks- would would be sometime in March.

I can't tell you much about this but I can tell you I have a girlfriend who was born with only one kidney and she is a wonerderful woman now with a 2 yr old son. Having a child was a challenge for her however they have one wonderful little boy who was born 10 weeks earlier and does have some problem but she lives a full life.

hi my name is S., i have a 4 yr old daughter who was born with one kidney. also found out in utero. she has not had any real problems. when she got a cold (as an infant) she would refuse to drink so she would get dehydrated. she spent time in the hospital till they got her elecrolites back up. but other than that she is fine. she has no restrictions except she cant play contact sports. she hasnt been in the hospital in a year and a half. she is much better when she has a cold. just tell ur friend to give the baby lots of fluids, and she or he will be fine. if she has any questions u or her can email me at ____@____.com

My daughter, now 2, only has one functioning kidney. She is otherwise normal, but we have to watch her very carefully for urinary tract infections so that her one kidney is not damaged. She had an infection once and was treated in the hospital with antibiotics. She recovered well and is very healthy. And she is now on daily antibiotics until she's potty-trained, just as a precuation.

When your friend's baby is born, she should make sure that the baby sees a nephrologist or urologist as soon as possible, preferably at a children's hospital if possible. This way, the condition can be monitored just in case something should come up. Also, they may want to prescribe medication for her newborn to prevent any infections from occuring.

Hi I found out that i had just one kidney and they told me i was going to have alot of problems. but to this day i am still fine have not had any problems. i live my normal life playing sports and everything else.

My friend was born with one kidney and he hasnt had any problems! You only need one kidney to live. I dont know what kind of problems there could be

My cousin had a baby a year and a half ago to a baby girl with just one kidney. So far she has had no problems at all

My brother has lived with one kidney since birth. He is 46 yrs old.
S. C

This may or may-not be of help to you, but I did see a program just like your on the Learning Channel (the baby channel,Discovery health, one of these channels in which her OB/GYN & PED Surgeon did surgery on the baby while it was in mom's womb. (i forget how old but the baby was tiny, you could barely see her fingers when they were manuvering the fetus around in the womb, to be positioned for surgery.

Also I was told to tell you, ask your Doc, OB/GYN or MID-WIFE, about stem cell. They could use some of the fetus stem cell to grow a new kidney.(but you'd get info on exactly how this would work & if it would benefit the baby & your-self. ( If your gettin a feeling like one of the Doctor's aren't being straight with you about the info, ask somebody else or go to learning channel & look up Stem Cell. What ever you choose to do, I wish you & the baby well.
My name is S. mother of 5.

1 / 3