Baby with Congestion/rattling

Hi, I have a 7 month old son who often sounds congested (kind of sounds like rattling). It is most often in the mornings after he wakes up but he seems fine other than that. He doesn't seem like he is having trouble breathing and doesn't seem to have a cold. I can't really tell where the rattling is coming from but I only hear it when he breathes through his nose so maybe from his nose or throat(?) This has gone on for quite some time so not really sure when it started. I am having trouble googling anything on this subject so was wondering if anyone else has any ideas/experience with this. My husband and I are a little worried and just wondering if it is normal or not. He doesn't have another check up for 2 months and so not sure if we should take him in for this when he seems ok otherwise.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I really appreciate all the great advice. He is teething so I am hoping that's all it is. I will go over all this with my husband so that we can decide what we want to do.

If you are worried and want to be comforted by a dr visit, by all means, do so, but it sounds as though he just has some sinus congestion that is draining into his throat. I used to get worried when my son sounded like that, but every time I took him to the dr, they said it was just that. I was always concerned that it was in his lungs. So do what you have to do, but I just wanted to let you know, I have heard what you are talking about in my own son. Good day!

my 6 month old is going through that same thing for the second time. I now am trying that Johnson and Johnson's Soothing Vapor bath. I have used it once and it cleared her up for the most part. She still gets a little rattley once and awhile at night or in the mornings but it is not nearly as bad. Since she seems comfortable and not running a fever, I haven't called the doctor. But if you get too worried, call his doctor and see what they say. Good luck!

Hello! This sounds a lot like what my youngest has. He also had some other issues that led me to do what I did, I only wish that I would have insisted on it sooner. After several months doctor's visits, ER visits, and antibiotics, I decided to take my son to an Allergy and Asthma Specialist to see if there was an allergen causing his problems. I have excellent insurance (thank goodness) so I didn't have to have a referral and I just made the appointment and took him. He was diagnosed with a slight case of Asthma right before his first birthday. He was put on Pulmicort, which is a non-steroidal medicine given by a nebulizer and it is a preventative medicine. He has been sick once in the past 7 months since being on the medicine, in which time the pediatrician and specialist consulted each other and decided to give him Albuterol, but only for the duration of the rattling and cough, after that he went back to the Pulmicort. I can't tell you enough how much I wish that I would have done something about it sooner. He would be rattling at night before he went to bed, while he slept, and for a few minutes after he woke up, never when we were at the pediatrician's office so she never got to hear what I was talking about. The specialist was able to get him to do what he needed to confirm asthma so I was greatly relieved just to know what it was and how to try to minimize it. I hope this helps.

B. i agree with molly b. for the most part i wouldn't worry unless he has other symptoms. you say "often", not all the time. with this weather, my son and i both have had runny noses, sniffles, slight congestion, off and on forever it seems. keep in mind, also like molly said, babies don't know how to clear their throats. if we get phlegm we just cough it up, they don't know to do that so it stays in there vibrating and making all kinds of wierd noises. i have seen my son do the same thing. it sounds wierd, but when he got a little older than your boy, i actually tried to tell him to cough to teach him lol. it actually kinda worked! the things we do as moms..lol. anyway, absolutely keep an eye on it, and if it gets more worrisome, absolutely take him to the dr...i just don't have much faith in them after having my son. i called them for every little sniff and sniffle, and it was always "bring him in"...a prescription...and an outrageous bill. i'm convinced medicine does a lot more harm than good in many cases. just my two cents. hope it helps!

Hi B.!
My son is 6 months old and has that too. Hes had it for awhile, it always bothered me so I have brought it up to his pediatrician twice and she said it was ok. She said babies are just not able or dont know how to clear their throat. So they do that until they eventually cough. I know how you feel, I brought it up twice just to make sure it was still ok, and she said its fine. I think its more common in bigger babies. Which my son is.
But if he has cold/flu symptoms, you might want to have him checked out.
When my son does that, I cough and try to get him to cough, sometimes it works, usually he just thinks Im silly.
Good luck, I hope this makes you feel a little better!

Hi B., my son has had this problem too throughout the winter. I found that rubbing a little Vicks Baby Rub on his chest before bedtime helps with his congestion after a full nights sleep. Also, a steam vaporizer in his room can help relieve some of the congestion. I just picked one up at Target ($14.00) last weekend when he had croup and it worked like a charm. We'll all be glad when the weather gets back to somewhat normal.

If it's in his nose, it could be sinus problems, maybe due to allergies. Think if there's anything different you have put in his bed or maybe try a room purifier, if you don't already have one. It may also be due to teething. If it's in his chest, then it could be asthma, but it usually wouldn't go away after he's up and moving. Does he drink milk (of any sort in his sleep)? - it could be that settling & creating a congestion that clears up after he's been up for a while. You may even try running a humidifier in his - check to see if the steam or the cool air is better.

Try elevating one end of his crib matress and using a humidifyer in his room at night. Otherwise, I would take him to the doctor and make sure there isn't asthma or some other medical condition causing this.

Take care and God Bless :)

1 / 3